• Advertisement

alcohol for fuel?

Post general Canadian discussions here.
peppercorn

Re: alcohol for fuel?

Postby peppercorn » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:25 pm

I suggest you try to make some, I suspect by the time you do this (the effort and work) you will say like hell I am burning this in a engine! you will mix it with coke instead.

Also I have never seen myself anyone producing 100% alcohol. The best I have ever seen in the real world by people who know what they are doing is a honest 92% (consistently) some times in the middle of the 3rd run you could pull off a sample at 93% maybe, claims of greater should be looked at closely. I would consider 90% to be reasonably and consistently obtainable. Significant diminishing returns set in with each processing past the second.

And I am not saying that people lie, rather that mistakes in measurement is so easy to do, look at a shelf of thermometers in Walmart, they are all at the same temp but I bet you can find a range of measurement of maybe up to 5 degrees.

Same with P&T gauges, and many people don't note that they are calibrated for 60 degrees f (the cheap ones at the brew stores).You have to start subtracting from the displayed reading as the temperature rises, Few people do.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:21 am

Here is how I would use alcohol to power a engine....make some and lets just say its one litre at 90%. This has a retail value of something like 50.00 dollars, its different in each province, but for the sake of argument...50 bucks.
Ok, I would put out the word that I will trade this 1 litre of alcohol for 15L of gas.
I would have a line up of people wanting to trade. That's just how I would do things.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

Danux
Canada

Postby Danux » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:54 am

Well, when I think about burning alcohol as a fuel, I am thinking that there is no gasoline to be traded for, I guess, or fuel is restricted to those who are allowed to have it, that kinda thing.

I think the highest concentration you can distill, is something like 95%, and if you process it further to remove the last 5% water, the moment you expose it to atmosphere, it absorbs humidity anyway, reverts back to its natural 95% solution. I've only used the slow fermentation process to make alcohol in the past, and I suppose I could distill that product to get a better concntration, but even with champagne yeast, you're looking at about 13% IIRC.

The idea of distilling wood for alcohol, to run a generator seems appealing, still. And you're right, I really should take a crack at running a still, it's the only way to know if I can actually make a fuel that is potent enough to power a piston.

0 x

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”