• Advertisement

Bug deterrents

Post general Canadian discussions here.
CanCricket
Canada

Re: Bug deterrents

Postby CanCricket » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:18 pm

I tried the Off clip-on and found that it didn't do anything. I hope you have better luck!
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:29 am

Bug netting?...sounds extreme I know, but I know some people swear by it
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

DaScribbler
Canada

Postby DaScribbler » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:03 pm

Anyone try Peppermint Oil as Mosquito Repellent?
0 x
DaScribbler

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:14 am

bluegrrl wrote:I was reading that vodka keeps flies away... so I have had a bowl with a splash of vodka out.

Not too many flies around, but I think one of the dogs drank the vodka. lol

I've noticed that a consumed bottle of vodka keeps people away, so I find it easy to accept that it does the same for bugs... If it doesn't, you won't care, so I suppose that achieves the same goal. :-)
1 x

RachelM
Canada

Postby RachelM » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:22 pm

DaScribbler wrote:Anyone try Peppermint Oil as Mosquito Repellent?

Not sure if it actually works, but I will say it works great for migraines and headaches, which is how I use it. I have however heard of geranium oil, which makes sense because I think it smells awful ;) .

We used to use the diatomaeceous earth as well and it worked great, but we can no longer get the non-food grade DE. The finer food grade washes away much more easily, we find, as well as being more expensive than the rougher grade. It was great for dusting on the dog and her run area in the yard to keep ticks off. We also liked to put a little down between the couch cushions, as we sometimes found the dogs would drop ticks on the couch.
0 x

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:23 am

pegelg wrote:... A small paper bag opened and tied off at the top with string hanging in a doorway or window will also help keep flies + wasps out. Well thats my bug hints, hope some of them work for you.

I've tried this with mixed results. Once it seemed to work, as a wasp nest was abandoned. This morning however, I had to destroy a wasp nest under my deck, which was less than 10 feet from a paper bag which I had hoped would work... :-)
0 x

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”