• Advertisement

Recommended Read for all Preppers

Post general Canadian discussions here.
jporter

Re: Recommended Read for all Preppers

Postby jporter » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:13 am

I just bought this book for my dad for xmas. He's a fast reader...lol i should have it back in a week or so. I just finished book 3 of the angery American series. Other two are on order
0 x

JamesP

Postby JamesP » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:16 am

I didn't like "One second after". "Grid down" was a great book. Patriots was ok too, the writing wasn't as good but lot's to learn from it.
James
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:47 am

James, who wrote "Grid Down"?
0 x

JamesP

Postby JamesP » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:23 am

Bruce Buckshot Hemming & Sarah Freeman. He wrote 2 more after that. The second one was also good, third one I haven't read yet.
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:29 pm

runswithscissors wrote:I have read One Second After. And Lights Out. And even Patriots. I'm currently working threw book 5 of 299 Days.

I'm saddened that there isn't anything remotely Canadian out there (that I know of). While I sympathize with the American scene, I'm not American. I

If there is Canadian content out there, please share what it is. I mean, if even if its websites or anything. I'm starved for home cooking, in a sense.

I came across Fractured: Tales of the Canadian Apocalypse. Interesting to see city names I have visited, however the stories are of varying quality....
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:32 pm

I loved One Second After and already bought his newer one/sequel. I just started Patriots and I have to say...ugh. The detail is ad nauseam and not very enjoyable...I don't know if I'll continue it - life is too short :)
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

PrepHer
Canada

Postby PrepHer » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:11 pm

I also loved One Second After. A real eye opener as to the mentality.
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:31 am

I am reading "The Reluctant Communist" - about Charles Robert Jenkins, who deserted the US Army in his 20s at the South/North Korea DMZ, and spent the next 40 years regretting it, in the bizarro prison state that is North Korea (he was released to Japan in the early 2000s, with his Japanese wife who was kidnapped by the North Koreans to teach English to the DPRK military). They were not sent to a North Korean prison work camp but treated just barely better than those prisoners. He and some other US desertees to NK were housed together and given various work tasks, but no resources to do them with, and never enough food (like most of the population). I picked it up initially out of political & personal interest, but one thing that struck me was the sheer ingenuity of some of the things they did to survive, get more food, etc. Like making fishing nets from old tires, floats from pine bark, running a small black-market honeybee operation, baking without any electricity by floating a pan in boiling water. Like figuring out how to stay warm when the walls to your house literally crumble in the rain because they are made of mud...I think some of this came from resigning themselves to their situation but no completely giving up & giving in. They did what they had to do, physically, but maintained little resistances, which I think are probably important for their mental health. For example, most gave wrong information about US forces when they first deserted, and when they were forced to teach English (which is funny since most of them barely finished high school) - they would purposely not correct the students' mistakes (and nobody was the wiser).

Anyways, it's a quick read and quite interesting.
0 x
HopeImReady

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”