• Advertisement

Recommended Read for all Preppers

Post general Canadian discussions here.
farmgal
Canada

Re: Recommended Read for all Preppers

Postby farmgal » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:09 pm

let me hunt a book down for you,, big brother found it, it rang true in a number of ways, he did a fair amount of northern train when in the airforse, gave it my momma to read, freaked out and made it my way.. one of the best I have read with a northern/Canadian/prepper sant while still being a amazing read.. the question is what book shelf is it on..
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

JustABear

Postby JustABear » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:35 am

"Blinding White Flash" by J. Richard Wakefield. Good read...

JAB
0 x

livingpower

Postby livingpower » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:36 am

lgsbrooks wrote:some members of our group brought this book to my attention, then one of my favorites from the group put it on a thumb drive for me to read...amazing & frightening and had much I never thought of! I am now terrified to end up in a hospital or seniors facility where my meals/water/care is not up to me...have to be able to live at my home until I die!

lgbrroks, I agree it is frightening and I too would not want to be in any sort of healthcare facility or nursing home when the SHTF. However, what struck me while reading it is that I do NOT want to be dependent on the system ever, especially not when it breaks down. I mean the people in that town, completely helpless and likely to starve to death, rationing food and having to choose to give some people bigger rations, which means starving others. Seriously? Go out and shoot a deer or something. The main character has the idea and is still pretty self-sufficient, but the rest are truly helpless. Won't be me, that's for sure.
0 x

livingpower

Postby livingpower » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:05 pm

OK, so I finished reading the book. First, with regards to my last comment, as I read it revealed that people had been hunting and everything got hunted out within a year or less. Shit. I balled my eyes out near the end, but won't say more than that in case people reading this haven't read the book. I have been thinking about it since I finished the book and I now really get the BOL in an isolated location. If you are in the country, but anywhere near civilization, then it's going to be very tough. Even if you were miraculously left alone in terms of your own stores, if you rely on hunting and fishing at all, that source of food would run out fairly quickly. I see the ideal set up in a situation like this or any scenario that would cause the fall of society being in an isolated location in a self-sufficient manner, with your own seeds, gardens, chickens, perhaps goats/sheep, wood heat, solar/wind, fresh source of running water, plenty of game to hunt and fish to catch. If you are well off the beaten track, there is less of a chance people will find you and loot your home and there is less of a chance others will be hunting the same game you are hunting. In other words, the more wild a location, the better. This has certainly got me thinking...
0 x

DaScribbler
Canada

Postby DaScribbler » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:57 pm

This book definitely got me thinking about my own Preps and how vulnerable I would still be to the effects of an EMP and its fall out.

I realize its a work of fiction but given this man's military knowledge and contacts I imagine there is a fair amount of truth woven through the story line.
Its a gut wrenching read, plain and simple and should make us all rethink our preps.
0 x
DaScribbler

Naka

Postby Naka » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:46 am

Thanks DA.Just bought it and started reading.Thanks for the other leads runswithscissors.Information is so valuable today.One day we might not be able to buy them.Would we be considered "the Elders" when our stories will be told in the future when books disappear? Many cultures still rely on this knowledge.I don't know if we need to make up stories like"cut off the left ear of the caribou for good luck" which I watched yesterday on a program about mongol inuit.
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Wed May 14, 2014 1:22 pm

Just finished One Second After. Amazing book and just chilling in how realistic everything seemed. I thought it was interesting how they handled the Franklins...wanting to seize everything at first then in the end being helped by their skills.
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Tinfoilhats

Postby Tinfoilhats » Thu May 15, 2014 10:10 pm

Just downloaded the One Second After Audiobook from Audible... Narrator is mediocre, but the story is getting good. ;)
0 x

Tinfoilhats

Postby Tinfoilhats » Tue May 20, 2014 3:27 pm

So who has an EMP proof vehicle? I'm in the process of turning my complicated modern diesel truck into a mechanical non electric beast. ;)
0 x

villager
Canada

Postby villager » Tue May 20, 2014 4:10 pm

Hey Tinfoil , I'd be interested in any procedures you find successful in that.
I was going to go for a 96 Ram with stick, but if i can convert easily, i can still use a modern beast for making money as long as possible.
0 x

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”