• Advertisement

Gay Preppers - Seriously

Post general Canadian discussions here.
reluctantprepper

Gay Preppers - Seriously

Postby reluctantprepper » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:07 pm

Just wondering if there are any gay preppers out there? And Seriously if you think this is joke, Please keep your comments to yourself or at the very least clean and respectful.
0 x
“Before everything else, getting ready is the secret of success.” -- Henry Ford

Captain_Ambiguous

Re: Gay Preppers - Seriously

Postby Captain_Ambiguous » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:51 pm

reluctantprepper wrote:Just wondering if there are any gay preppers out there? And Seriously if you think this is joke, Please keep your comments to yourself or at the very least clean and respectful.

I don't think it's a joke, gays will probably have it harder than most in a post-SHTF environment (sorry). You'll definitely want your support system.

Atleast you live in Canada. I've been seriously wondering this week if large portions of America would just devolve into mob rule and establish "Christian only" zones. Some of the craziest people out there are also the most likely to survive. That's my cheerful thought for the day ;)

Peace and happiness to you.
0 x

The Canadian Giant
Topic Leader

Postby The Canadian Giant » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:35 pm

Oh boy, this is a tough question. From personal experience I have never met a gay prepper, but I know many gay individuals that are dedicated gardeners and a good percentage of those are running small homestead type operations. But these friends have never used the term prepper to describe what they do, at least in my presence. My gay gardening friends express their motivation from the ecological, sustainability, permaculture, organic, environmental angle. They are also fortunate to live in communities that support their lifestyle as LGBT individuals and that are also supportive of their gardening motivations.

Having shared this, I recognize that these friends are not typical North Americans, and even less typical of the LGBT community. There are many reasons for this, not the least is the type of community that is most supportive of their lifestyle is rarely the rural setting idealized by many preppers. There is also the stigmatization of preppers as traditionalist, end of the world, redneck yahoos that would stereotypically not be supportive of the gay lifestyle. When considering my circle of friends, many of my LGBT contacts would make ideal resources in difficult situations. Due to their marginalization within the broader society, they understand the importance of systems of support, of community, of close knit trusting relationships, they tend to value communication skills and their trust, once earned, is truly deserved and tends to be fully reciprocated. As a result, I believe they make ideal prepping partners.

I've met alot of survival oriented jerks, bigoted, overly opinionated, overly confident preppers. Conversely, all of my interactions with sustainability oriented LGBT people have been very positive and I truly hope they speak as highly of me.
0 x
Wilderness Survival and Bushcraft courses in Alberta
www.MammutBushcraft.com

reluctantprepper

Postby reluctantprepper » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:33 pm

Thanks for the thoughtful comments so far. I am really lucky to belong to a mutual assistance group of Preppers where any intolerance is not tolerated if that makes sense. So I feel secure knowing my survival in a SHTF situation will be no more dire than anyone else. And I know a lot of LGBT who are sustainably leaning but I thought there must be more Gay Preppers out there? Whenever there is a seed exchange fair or something of that ilk, I always see "back to the land" types(hippies), Preppers, Gay's and lesbians. Is there no crossover between the groups, besides myself?
0 x
“Before everything else, getting ready is the secret of success.” -- Henry Ford

Syn

Postby Syn » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:47 am

Lots of gay permaculture types networking on the Permies forum and most of the permie types are preppers regardless of their sexual preferences .
0 x

MrsPrepwPets

Postby MrsPrepwPets » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:39 pm

I'm not willing to typify any group based on any trait as far as helpful or not, but I do have a lesbian acquaintance who is just entering the preparedness movement and who finds herself being very careful on forums for this very reason:
The Canadian Giant wrote:... the type of community that is most supportive of their lifestyle is rarely the rural setting idealized by many preppers. There is also the stigmatization of preppers as traditionalist, end of the world, redneck yahoos that would stereotypically not be supportive of the gay lifestyle.

Adding to the rural-urban and conservative-liberal lifestyle challenges in finding her ideal location, she's a black lesbian with a black lesbian lover, and feels that certain parts of the country would have an even more difficult time accepting her because of it.

There's also a guy in Texas who makes no secret of his sexual orientation who runs a skills and assistance group for preparedness. He's gay and I think a couple of the people who belong to the group and mentality in person or on his Facebook page are also some sort of LGBT, although not all by far.

I imagine that there are as many gay-lesbian "preppers" out there as any other demographic, but some demographics are less likely to reveal themselves to the conservative Bible thumpers and it's already a fairly close-mouthed community that routinely protects its personal information.
0 x

lgsbrooks
Canada

Postby lgsbrooks » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:15 pm

Prepping is prepping no matter who you are intimate with so why should it matter? Most people are gathered here to find and or share information on how to do what we do to prepare for ourselves and loved ones, why would sexual orientation be an issue?
0 x

Captain_Ambiguous

Postby Captain_Ambiguous » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:47 pm

lgsbrooks wrote:Prepping is prepping no matter who you are intimate with so why should it matter? Most people are gathered here to find and or share information on how to do what we do to prepare for ourselves and loved ones, why would sexual orientation be an issue?

I can speculate. Aside from the higher threat level that gays would face in a post-shtf environment, communication will become an issue. The internet forms the backbone for many "fringe" groups (including preppers). Without it their community could suddenly seem a whole lot smaller, especially if a number of them die off. Might pay to make these plans now.
0 x

lgsbrooks
Canada

Postby lgsbrooks » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:20 pm

I get that yet I do not understand why they would have a higher threat level, being gay does not mean you are not physically strong, it does not make you less muscular or less able to defend or protect yourself with your body or a weapon , it does not make you unable to garden, preserve food, sew, build, or chop wood and carry water...perhaps if they drew less attention to their sexual preference if it will cause problems for them or if they found their community beforehand, yet would it not be easier to ask the people who are in their current community or perhaps be the first to suggest starting to prep together? It must be difficult to be gay, as a straight person I have not felt a need to share my sexual preference with the world, have a parade, join crowds with signs proclaiming it, and dress up to prove it...I may never understand why there is a desire to shout it out loud then have to suffer threats from those who do not approve...just my thoughts...having said that I hope you find a safe place with like-minded caring people as I wish for all of us.
0 x

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:08 pm

I, Personally would like to say, Thanks for coming out of the gay prepper closet. It helps others to feel they are welcome. It took the parading to demand an end to marginalisation. It wasn't that long ago that you would find almost no Black preppers. There is still a lot of "only Christian preppers need apply" which is a growth from the early survivalist movement of "only WHITE Christian preppers need apply". Well, silence is DEATH. There is still a lot of "Douch Bag Preppers" out there that want to return to a time when we stoned or imprisoned Homosexuals.

Im happy of the recent growth of the prepper movement that openly says "All may apply", and has openly began to marginalize the marginalizers. This Aint your old time aryan nation survivalism any more. "Were Here! We accept Queer! We shoot back! Get used to it!"
0 x
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”