• Advertisement

Do you plan to be a lonewolf or part of a like minded band?

Post general Canadian discussions here.
heathenwench

Do you plan to be a lonewolf or part of a like minded band?

Postby heathenwench » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:57 pm

We've seen many comments that promote 'trusting no one'. I think it is safe to assume that would mean being a 'Lone Wolf' or going it alone. We have chosen something different. We have sought out like minded people we can trust that can bring different skills and equipment to a small band of people. For example, an MD and an RN would be a big asset if the situation became full out survival, as would a welder, hunter, or baker. Do you believe a 'Lone Wolf' would stand a better chance or have you started to 'stock up' on the skills of others too?
0 x

Ont.Rob

Re: Do you plan to be a lonewolf or part of a like minded ba

Postby Ont.Rob » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:15 pm

I'm with you heathenwench.
My belief is that if you've prepped extensively you have a lot to loose and it would be to hard for a "lone wolf" to fend off any raiders/looters, or to maintain sustainability, diversified skill sets would be a necessity.
Also, in a serious survival situation, being alone might be detrimental to maintaining mental stability......I wouldn't want Wilson to be my only friend.
0 x
Tolero Apto Victum

Oxfordian

Postby Oxfordian » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:36 pm

I would prefer a like-minded band and will continue to try to safely expand my knowledge and contacts with other local people HOWEVER, in reality I will probably end up in a lone wolf situation for the following reasons;

-I am trying to get my parents and siblings to plan and prepare, as well as, understand the possible risks and situations but they keep saying that theres nothing to worry about and that they are sure if anything happened that their friends will help them out and that all their friends are welcome. and refuse to put away any food or water, etc.... They have all rich, very closed minded friends that only think about what event or restaurant they are attending that night.. Driving me nuts BUT still my parents and not sure if I could just walk away and worry about myself or if I will end up starving along side a bunch of bumbling rich idiots..........

-I have attempted to find like minded individuals and start up a basic local group to give each other advice and help with preparations but people leave for personal, work related, family and or health reasons and has been hard to keep a group together.
Also, I make very little money and need to make the most of every dollar and just dont have the resources to buy private land or buy into another group.

So currently im planning to learn as many skills and trades as possible in case i end up in a lone wolf situation.

Cheers,
Oxford
0 x

traveller

Postby traveller » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:37 am

heathenwench wrote:We've seen many comments that promote 'trusting no one'. I think it is safe to assume that would mean being a 'Lone Wolf' or going it alone. We have chosen something different. We have sought out like minded people we can trust that can bring different skills and equipment to a small band of people. For example, an MD and an RN would be a big asset if the situation became full out survival, as would a welder, hunter, or baker. Do you believe a 'Lone Wolf' would stand a better chance or have you started to 'stock up' on the skills of others too?

I would prefer a group of trusting folk; already have a couple of families in this group,the problem as you said.... TRUSTING SOULS....a very big gambell ,I believe that is the only way to survive and a very diverse and like minded group...
0 x
Better to have it and not need it; then to need it and not have it...

I didn't do it

Postby I didn't do it » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:30 pm

LONDON MEETING!!!
I would like to try to set up a meeting for the weekend of April 1, (but let's not try to fool ourselves or each other). How does the Sunday sound?
This will be a prelude to see how well we can make decisions together.
-find a place that could accomodate all of us, hopefully 4+.
-it would be better if it is quiet, private, yet public, someplace not echo-ee(sp)

My suggestion- Central LPL. It's open Sunday's 1-4, has meeting rooms, tables, lounge areas, is central London and free parking, although there is no brew, there are several pubs in the area for the meeting after the meeting ;)
0 x
Knowledge is power. Practised knowledge is strength. Tested knowledge is confidence.

ranger2012

Postby ranger2012 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:25 pm

I have been studying this subject myself for many years and have a paper that I've made up a paper that I show to my friends that don’t think that I‘m crazy. Basically it lists what can happen, and what I would do to restart a community. The trades of people that would be required to be a stand alone community and the books (big, big factor) needed to train our legacies. Mechanics, doctors, herbalists, farmers, veterinarians, weavers and the list goes on. I myself am on the lookout for the tools that don’t need power, the information to create power and the older books that show us how. That is why we, Preppers need to start getting together, to help each other to plan, to pass the wisdom of the masses, before we need them the most.
Remember “We Prep to live after a down fall, Not just to survive it” (JT)
0 x
"We 'Prep.' to live after a downfall, Not just to survive."

Doublestorm

Postby Doublestorm » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:59 pm

Ideally, and in a perfect world, it would be nice to have a group of people together. The biggest problem that I see is finding just the right people. It has to be an all-or-nothing kind of situation; that is, everyone contributing EQUALLY and not merely talking the talk when it comes to pulling their weight contributing in prepping. I can see a sitution where people would say "yes, I'll have this, or that ready", "we'll start putting food away" etc.

Personally, I don't know of anyone that would take it serious enough to be in "all or nothing." In starting my prepping, I have myself, my daughter, and my pretend-son-in-law in mind when prepping. I'm doing it all quite quietly and no one (besides you fine folks...and I'm hoping you won't tell on me :D ) knows that I'm starting to prep.

If I knew someone that I KNEW would be in 100%, then by all means I would team up with them. Maybe it's time that I casually bring up the idea with a few of my close friends to see what their thoughts are without actually saying too much?

Contributers, or leechers...it's ALL about including the right people!
0 x

Oxfordian

Postby Oxfordian » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:51 pm

I didn't do it--
On the post about london preppers someone suggested march 24 saturday at gibralter out back under the canopy. But april 1 would also work. If we set a final date and location I will make sure I'm not working as I would really like to get together and hear/share some ideas.
I've cleared my calendar for both of those dates.
Cheers,
OxfordI didn't do it--
On the post about london preppers someone suggested march 24 saturday at gibralter out back under the canopy. But april 1 would also work. If we set a final date and location I will make sure I'm not working as I would really like to get together and hear/share some ideas.
I've cleared my calendar for both of those dates.
Cheers,
Oxford
0 x

I didn't do it

Postby I didn't do it » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:40 am

I can't make it to the one at Gilbraltor on the 24th but I'll keep posting. At this point April 1 works for me.
0 x
Knowledge is power. Practised knowledge is strength. Tested knowledge is confidence.

ranger2012

Postby ranger2012 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:54 am

I'll be there, for what ever. If the weather goes bad then we'll meet again on 01 April. Still be bringing what material I have to share.
'Wisdom and knowledge if hoarded, is only wasted'.
0 x
"We 'Prep.' to live after a downfall, Not just to survive."

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”