• Advertisement

What Did You Prep This Week

Post general Canadian discussions here.
razerp

Re: What Did You Prep This Week

Postby razerp » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:00 am

Picked up a couple of last years Aussie Ration Packs (MRE's)
Today my Sister helped me sort through about half my cupboards, tossed a lot of the crap, donated a bunch of extraneous things and gave a few family members some other stuff.
Found a bunch of items I'd been missing including a cookset, a sheath and a bayonet. Got First aid tub stocked up properly and most things Stored together eg lights, electronics.
All in all a very productive day.
Also have finally got my Photo I.D. sorted and application in for my Disabled Parking Permit.
0 x
I grew up on Looney Tunes, Marx Brothers mvies and Robin Williams, Enter my mind at your own risk

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:54 pm

Picked up some rice that was being discontinued at the local suppermarket...some for long term storage, some for now.
Setting up an exercise room with some basic stuff...stationary bike, weights, etc.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:53 pm

Packing up to move back to Canada! I don't want to get political, but I'm happy leaving the USA ahead of the 2016 Presidential elections and the current racial uneasiness.

Moving to an acreage in AB, already set up with large gardens, orchard, chicken coop, (current owners are permaculturists) etc.

I very much dislike moving, but I'm thinking this is my contribution toward self-sufficiency and preparedness. Pains me to have to discard some of my preps for the move though, all liquids can't be moved, gas storage depleted, water storage poured to water the plants... We'll start up again on the flip side!
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:15 pm

Welcome back! Good luck with the move :)
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

kootenay kid
Canada

Postby kootenay kid » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:41 pm

Safe journey back (home).!!!!!
0 x

Learner
Canada

Postby Learner » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:18 am

Good luck with your move.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:04 am

Thank you all for the good wishes!!!!! Will keep you updated once all settled (or throughout, time permitting)!
0 x

dollyndrew
Canada

Postby dollyndrew » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:39 am

Happy travels.

On the preps note. I have to say my DH is Amazing ( capital A). Just got back from the Range after practicing with my new 9mm Smith and Wesson. It has quite a kick but hot damn .... It's lovely.
Happy birthday to me.
On another plus side... My kids can shoot the poop out of anything. I'm really quite impressed ( and a little relieved that they have reached a self sufficient age).
0 x

GhostPrepper
Canada

Postby GhostPrepper » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:27 am

I just put back two 1 pound packages of 65% calcium hypochlorite (Home Hardware @$5.69 per pound) for water treatment. 1 lb will treat up to 10,000 gallons of water. Heck yeah. Going tomorrow to get another 4 pounds.

Pure calcium hypochlorite, no algae killer or any other products. Comes in a tube/bag, dry powder or crystals, NOT liquid. Check out some articles. Amazing and small, easily prepped and stored.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:43 am

Finished picking up any berries on the property (raspberries and red currants) and made syrup out of them. Also picked up all the apples that were ready (about 1/2) and processed a bunch; stored the remainder wrapped in paper in the cold room.

Arranged the cold room with shelving, moved our stash of dry food in and made a list of items needed. Purchased a bunch of canned soup as they were on sale, also visited our friendly Costco store for some shelf stocking. We are happy to have this cold room storage and find that we have ample space for expansion.

Purchased a "heavy duty" rototiller.

Filled up all my gas canned with fresh gas and Stab-il. Purchased more Stab-il.

Installed a dark, opaque rain barrel in the green house with a spot from the eavestrough. The intent is to collect rain water and also to use as thermal mass during the shoulder seasons.

Getting ready to pick up the grapes on the property (Valiant grapes) to make some grape jelly. Justified a trip to the store to purchase small jars, lids and rings for all our jars. We also scored new to us jars when the last owners left a bunch in storage for us on account of running out of space in their boxes.

Met with the neighbours who all seem very nice and a few are avid gardeners, so I'm sure I can learn a few tricks from them. We'll try the C5's suggested "dinner party" to see if they could become complements to our preps (or how we can make them...)

Busy times, but it's all starting to feel like home!
0 x

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”