• Advertisement

What Did You Prep This Week

Post general Canadian discussions here.
GhostPrepper
Canada

Re: What Did You Prep This Week

Postby GhostPrepper » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:11 am

We've had the same issue with our raised straw bale beds. Water just filled em up and won't bugger off. Last of my potatoes are coming out as soon as the rain stops. I've been reloading a lot, spending some warm dry time down cellar.

If you don't mind me asking, just how in hell did you spend $3,000 on a fridge in a camper?!
0 x

Learner
Canada

Postby Learner » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:02 am

Have pulled our onions and they are currently hanging from the rafters in the shed drying. Haven't dug the potatoes yet, probably soon. Have been busy canning and jam/jellying. Waiting for my grapes to finish ripening to make my own grape jelly this year. First time for grapes.

Good luck with your acreage Helicopilot.

We have also as of this month finished paying our mortgage, so our little piece of (our heaven) is now all ours. Comes in handy right now as hubby got laid off last month.
0 x

Learner
Canada

Postby Learner » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:10 am

Wow, Dangphool, that was quite the expense for the fridge.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:29 am

Well this is more recycling than prep but I welded up a little hillbilly reactive target stand for plinking from some burned up tools.
must have burnt up a half dozen rods or more sticking it all together with my maxstar 150....running off a 12 volt system :lol: life is sure rough off grid...
the top target is welded to a heavy duty spring socket extension, so it wobbles all around when hit..... hmmmmmm..I kind of do the same thing.

DSC01866.JPG
DSC01866.JPG (54.78 KiB) Viewed 675 times
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

PrepHer
Canada

Postby PrepHer » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:06 pm

LOOKS AWESOME!!
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:04 am

Firewood stacked by the back door, I am ready for winter. With the stove door extension I built I no longer have to trim this wood down to 20 inches in length I can stuff the whole 24 inches in.
DSC01869.JPG
DSC01869.JPG (74.62 KiB) Viewed 633 times
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:24 am

We picked our grapes and made jelly, also picked and stored/processed a few bushels of apples.

Mrs HP made some pies and went gifting them to the neighbours. It's important to show the neighbours we're good people, especially in rural area. They've since reciprocated in kind (many folds!) so it seems like the effect was positive. We've got a lot to learn from them as they are farmers and experienced gardeners so we may need to consult them in certain things.

Made arrangements for property security and alarm. Hope this won't be needed but it's comforting to have.
0 x

Dangphool
Canada

Postby Dangphool » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:31 am

We had to order one from Dometic, the manufacturer as there were none in Alberta. We used the Dometic dealer, and because he was mobile, he was cheaper than the dealerships we checked with. They actually gave us his business card.

That included extra warranty and the installation... $2700 :cry:
0 x

dollyndrew
Canada

Postby dollyndrew » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:02 pm

With back to school looming I've been looking at alternatives to the boring brown bag lunches so today we are making yogurt and I have canned my own fruit cups in jelly jars. What fruit I don't grow I buy from the farm market or store ( organic only) but the expense when the fruit doesn't get eaten in time is crippling so I needed a way to maintain the budget but still give the kids the best I can.
Tomorrow the Boy will take roasted chicken drumsticks instead of a sandwich but from there I'm at a loss - especially considering how fussy he can be. Feel free to post suggestions.
Been canning pounds of green beans (30lbs so far this weekend), local corn and carrots and also pickling beets. I'm hoping to have enough put up to make it through to the next growing season but, just in case, I've planted the greenhouse out to.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:46 am

Great idea on the jelly cup jars, I do a fruit in pints for hubby to take to work as well, but for sure the smaller jars would be just right for the kiddo's and I hear ya on the others, beets are good this year, lots to do, I have already put up about 60 pounds of the beans but the corn is a no go this year.. the corn in the gardens just didn't come this year and with local corn at 5 dollars a dozen.. its just not going to happen this year for us.

Congrats on the winter Greenhouse..
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”