What Did You Prep This Week

Post general Canadian discussions here.
helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: What Did You Prep This Week

Postby helicopilot » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:56 am

It's been a while...

Been busy working around the acreage. Cleaning the old raspberry canes and canning a multitude of grapes and apple goodies. We're new at canning and so far, we're really enjoying it (DW's grape catsup is delicious on pork!).

Today, picked up carrots and potatoes and getting them ready for storage (any suggestions????? I was thinking well ventilated cardboard box in the garage).

Looking at buying a small tractor to help out with the acreage's chores.

Took advantage of sales at the local grocery store to stock up on some non-perishables.

Prepared/reviewed the G.H.B.s for the winter season.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:49 am

Doing the same thing, just pulled the potatoes, I have found saw dust or wood chips work well on potatoes, it covers them and keeps them apart..UFA or most feed stores sell them by the bag full. the wood chips are sold for animal bedding I think, but I use them for potatoes, I use plastic totes stored dark and cool for potatoes. I am a lazy man so freezing is my first choice with things like carrots (diced up) and peas then I just pull out a bag to add to stews when needed.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:57 pm

Carrots and potatoes lend themselves well to all sorts of storage...root cellar, dehydration, canning.
I can my carrots (as well as freeze a few) and dehydrate the really crooked ones that are hard to peel to use as chicken treats.
I haven't gotten into potatoes much yet, as I want to get a root cellar set up first, but I have dehydrated and canned a few here and there.
0 x

kootenay kid
Canada

Postby kootenay kid » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:38 pm

Dehydrating pears and apples. The Grand kids will not eat regular apples, but give them a bag of dried ones.......wow, do they ever disappear fast. Every third batch goes to them.
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:32 pm

I dehydrated some tomatoes and herbs that were on their last day, made some concord frig jam, froze the remaining 10 lbs of concord grapes from a local volunteer pick, restocked some bottled vitamins, cycled out some canned tuna, and bought some ammo, a mini multitool & a new scoped Savage 64 rifle (yay for the new local Cabelas :) )
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:05 am

Bought a tractor!!!!!! Yeah! :)
1 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:14 am

Oh and I packaged up all my seeds from this summer's veggies and froze them for next year.
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:14 am

While looking at getting a wheelbarrow, I noticed that Rona had them on sale 1/2 price for clearance. Got a new wheelbarrow. They also had LED 60W-equivalent bulbs (normally $19) on sale for $4 so I picked up a couple.

FYI, I understand that Rona has been bought out by LOWE's and that they are having interesting clearance sales. If you have one near you, may be worth looking at their websites. Sales apparently vary from store to store. I only had a few mins, but they seemed to have deep sales on irrigation stuff too at the one I was at.
0 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:40 am

Picked up another two cords of wood... $60/cord...which I a decent price for us southerners... :)

For when the inevitable ice storms hit and the powers out...
Attachments
wood.jpeg.jpg
wood.jpeg.jpg (152.27 KiB) Viewed 274 times
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

Marmitton

Postby Marmitton » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:26 pm

helicopilot wrote:Bought a tractor!!!!!! Yeah! :)

good job!
0 x

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”