• Advertisement

Dried & Dehydrated Meals for One

Post general Canadian discussions here.
CanCricket
Canada

Re: Dried & Dehydrated Meals for One

Postby CanCricket » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:44 am

That's good to know. It's interesting, because the company website strongly recommends the food be eaten within 1 - 2 weeks once the can is opened. Good to know that it can last a bit longer.
0 x

Adagio
Canada

Postby Adagio » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:37 pm

I too make my own pre-made meals. A combination of freeze dried meats, cheese and butters, my own dehydrated veggies and other pantry ingredients. I only use product that has a very long shelf life (like white flour, sugar etc) and customize to my taste and portions. I do full day meals (breakfast, lunch, supper a dessert and drinks) and vacuum seal all in mylar bags. Then they all go into a 5 gallon bucket. They are more work but i know whats in them and they are items I like to eat. They are great for backpacking, hunting or whatever...
0 x

RachelM
Canada

Postby RachelM » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:48 pm

As much as we all love meat, don't be afraid to consider 'vegetarian' options (Although the don't fulfill your meat cravings :/ ). To get your 'complete proteins', you can combine legumes or nuts with a grain. There's tonnes of different combinations, some more palatable than others. Rice and beans, peanut/nut butter on whole wheat toast are some options. I had to take a basic nutrition course for college and it was actually really helpful in trying to plan out healthy meals both for current eating and for storing!
0 x

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”