• Advertisement

Food storage times per method?

Post general Canadian discussions here.
Holiday101

Food storage times per method?

Postby Holiday101 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:02 am

I'm looking for a spreadsheet of sorts that lists methods of food storage and their storage times. Basically I want an idea of how certain foods will store if they are vacuum sealed in bags or jars, not vacuum sealed but in mylar, dehydrated, frozen, etc. etc. and any combination i.e jerky vacuum sealed in bag, vegetables jarred and frozen, etc. Maybe there isn't something out there so comprehensive but I'm sure there is a general guide of sorts. Basically this in concerns to food safety and just how long food can be stored by various methods and still be consumable. Meats from what I understand, as an example, do not last anywhere near as long in a dehydrated form as let's say strawberries. This also to help not spending extra money on a storage process on foods that will be consumed within a short time rather than a year or so down the road. I'm looking at buying a vacuum sealer, a dehydrator and of course I have my freezer as well. I don't want to mistime my food storage methods.

Is there any such guide?
0 x

GhostPrepper
Canada

Re: Food storage times per method?

Postby GhostPrepper » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:34 pm

All I've been able to find are scattered comparison charts for fresh-frozen-canned-salted-smoked etc. No comprehensive chart of times versus methods. Good idea to compile a chart though. I'll have to spend some time doing this.
0 x

Holiday101

Postby Holiday101 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:42 pm

I figured some institute somewhere must have some kinda chart. For example I know even dehydrated meat doesn't last as long as if you just ziplocked and froze it. Seems dehydrated veggies last 6 months though I hear in a vacuum sealed container it lasts longer. Other methods like curing and canning have a certain shelf life. I suppose there is a time span where there is top nutritional value as well. I was thinking of various methods based on rate of consumption. Some things for long term storage, other things for short term.
0 x

gba1
Canada

Postby gba1 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:53 pm

Check out Guildbrook Farms on YouTube, specifically the video on a Prepper Pantry. I think she includes a spreadsheet and pdf form in her information section on the video. She also provides a link to an authoritative site that describes canning and storage times. I hope this helps
0 x

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”