• Advertisement

You get a warning that something is about to go down...

Post general Canadian discussions here.
dollyndrew
Canada

You get a warning that something is about to go down...

Postby dollyndrew » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:21 pm

I totally stole this from the UK prepper site and was enthralled by the pages of responses so, here goes...

By some chance ( possibly this forum of wonderful tin foil hat wearers) you have a two hour window before a "public announcement" is made. Nothing specific here, Choose your own scenario. Day to day life is continuing normally during this window. What do you do?
0 x

CanCricket
Canada

Re: You get a warning that something is about to go down...

Postby CanCricket » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:57 pm

Depending upon what it is, run to the store to buy a bunch of food/water and anything else that might be required to cope with the oncoming situation. Call parents prior to leaving so that they can do the same. I think that's about all I'd have time for. Prepare to bug-in or bug-out as necessary.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:54 am

Again, depends on what it is.

Crazy blizzard, hurricane? Call spouse, get her to get the kids home and stop on her way to fill up the car. I head home, fill up the truck, maybe pick up some perishables on the way home depending on when we had last grabbed groceries. Batter down the hatches (proverbially) and wait things out. If it's going to be an event require mass evacuation, go home, meet with family, pick up essentials (clothes and papers) and get out and away ahead of everybody.

TEOTWAWKI like event? Rally up the family and get everyone home ASAP. Get gas for the truck and pick up a few spare cans. Time permitting, pick up a few things:
- quick Costco run for big, easy, bulk shopping
- garden center / coop for gardening seeds and chicken feed
- pick up farming supplies, fencing wire, barb wire, posts, buckets...

Problem is that how do you trust that advance information before going to load up the credit card?
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:12 am

Too easy...if Im at home and get the news then, ill round up every empty container , head to the gas station/store and stock up on fuel cause you just can never have enough no matter what, then Ill load up on ice cream, chocolate bars, chips and dip, and head home, now if im in town and get the news, I will buy a bunch of gas cans, fill them, stock up on Ice cream, chocolate bars, chips and dip, then stop at the peelers, maybe have a game of pool, drink.. then head home.

You guys are already stocked up on ice cream, chocolate, and dip.??? man you guys are hard core.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:07 pm

Maybe a little bit of humor. A friend of mine had a bumper sticker that read: "the hardest thing about a zombie apocalypse is to look as though I'm not excited"
0 x

CanCricket
Canada

Postby CanCricket » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:39 pm

I might spend part of that time wishing I had a time machine to go back and actually get a driver's license and a car, so that I could more easily go and panic buy all the things I'll want to get in that two hours. And I would absolutely have that bumper sticker about the zombie apocalypse on my car!
0 x

GhostPrepper
Canada

Postby GhostPrepper » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:21 pm

Something IS about to go down. Stocking up and finish putting food back if you want to live. Things are at breaking point with Russia.
0 x

Antsy
Netherlands

Postby Antsy » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:11 am

It depends of course of on where I am. Basically, I track down my kid and make arrangements for her to get to me or vise versa. I fill the tubs with extra potable water and fill the tanks on our vehicles. We should be "all good" otherwise.

GhostPrepper wrote:Something IS about to go down. Stocking up and finish putting food back if you want to live. Things are at breaking point with Russia.

I grew up during the cold war... nothing new or frightening here.

Helicopilot - Could you do a "lunch and learn" for what a "quick Costco run" looks like and for how it works? ;)
0 x
Needs must when the devil drives.

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:26 pm

Antsy wrote:
Helicopilot - Could you do a "lunch and learn" for what a "quick Costco run" looks like and for how it works? ;)

Well.... I'm thinking going in, with a purpose, go directly to the food section. Pick up some staples like rice, flour, sugar, honey, canned fruits, powdered milk, multi vitamins, etc... Oh and if they have Ghirardelly chocolate, I definitely pick up some. Then, maybe stop for some end-aisle sampling, stop by the tool/truck section to see what they have. Pick up a dinner/movie-for-2 ticket (great deals!) Oh damn you Costco!!! I only walked in there for rice and staples and now I have 2 cart loads!! :?
0 x

Lee Enfield
Canada

Postby Lee Enfield » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:00 pm

dollyndrew wrote:I totally stole this from the UK prepper site and was enthralled by the pages of responses so, here goes...

I'd love it if you would post the link to the UK thread.

If I had two hours before SHTF:
- Get child #2 to leave university, fill car #2 with gas and groceries and head home
- Make sure child #3 is home safe
- Call my friend the propane installer and have him deliver as many full 100-gal propane cylinders as he can fit on his truck (2 to 4). (It won't go bad.)
- Top up gas tank in car #1 and any empty gas cans.
- Bank for cash.
- Drug store for vitamins, pain relief, cold remedies, batteries, etc.
- Stop at the feed store and get animal feed, dog food, and any certified oat and wheat seed they may have. Also salt blocks and a 50lb bag or three of fine salt.
- Grocery and beer store to grab a few necessities.
- Stop by place of employment and grab a few things (I have a prepared list of survival-type items from work - some are items we sell and also items we use like a big case of toilet paper).
- Head home but stop at the bakery on the way and grab some goodies.

This is a good mental exercise. I am sure I will think of things that I missed.
2 x
"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them; the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences." - Proverbs 22:3

"The man who has a garden and a library has everything." - Cicero

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”