• Advertisement

Preppers Recipes

New Zealand Preppers Forum. Meet and Network with other New Zealand Preppers Here.
WESTCOASTNZ

Preppers Recipes

Postby WESTCOASTNZ » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:11 pm

We all store food but how do you use it?
My families favorite recipes with stored goods include:
Homemade baked beans - soooooo much nicer and more filling than baked beans in a can.
serves family of mum, Dad, 2 teenagers, and 3 little ones with dinner and breakfast,
3TB Oil - any kind (but for the boys not engine oil)
2-4 Onions chopped finely (what ever you have spare)
2 Cloves garlic or a good teaspoon crushed garlic in a jar
2 teaspoons smokey paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (even if you don't like cloves try it - I hate them but love them in this recipe)
8 heaped Tablespoons tomato paste or tomato sauce
800gm can Diced tomatoes (Woolworths Homebrand from Countdown are the cheapest) or use fresh if you have
300ml more or less of water
3 - 4 cans cannellini beans in brine 415g (buy when on special all brands are fine can get them for like 99c sometimes)
2 Tablespoons Worchestershire Sauce (Boss is normally the cheapest and actually quite nice)
2 Teaspoons + brown sugar - depends on your taste buds
Salt to taste

Preheat oven or hooded bbq to 150c, heat oil in frypan fry garlic and onion until soft and transparent, add paprika and cloves and stir to coat onions then add tomato paste/sauce, add diced tomatoes and water simmer for 20min. Drain the beans into a sieve and rinse under the tap, add the beans to the pan, worchestershire sauce and sugar, then season with salt to taste, place in a casserole dish or roasting pan with lid or tin foil and bake slowly for 1 hr, check it once or twice and add a dash of boiling water if looking dry.

Serve with:
Homemade Bread - 1 Loaf (always make 2 tho cause it makes the meanest toast in the morning)
1/4 tsp sugar or honey or golden syrup (anything with sugar in it to feed the yeast)
1/4 cup warm water
1 1/2tsp active yeast granules (lasts for ages past use by date if you keep it in its container inside another container in the fridge that keeps out light and humidity ie glass or metal - not plastic)
4 cups flour plain or freshly ground
2 tsp sugar or honey or golden syrup
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup hot water
3/4 cup cold milk (from milk pwder is fine, even soy milk, etc)
2 TB butter (butter lasts for ages in the freezer)
Dissolve first measure of sugar in first measure of water, sprinkle yeast on top, set aside for 5-10min until its bubbly. In the mean time get the biggest bowl you've got combine all the other ingredients then add the yeast mix, mix it to make a dough, spread a little bit of flour on the bench tip your dough onto the floured bench and knead it stretching out the fibres in the dough for about 7 min you'll notice the dough gets a softer feel. put it back in the original bowl, cover it with glad wrap, a plastic bag or a tea towel ( hard to get sticky dough off tho), pop in a sunny place, or if in the west coast a hot water cupboard, or beside the fire - not too close tho you don't want to cook it yet, for at least an hr it has to get noticibly bigger in size, when your sure its risen well beat the air out of it and pop in a greased bread tin or shape nicely on a greased tray if you've got sesame seeds etc pop these on top or if you've got pesto knead it in, leave in a warm place for 10mins to rise again while the oven or bbq is heating up to 200c bake for 30mins - PS you'll need a big stick to keep family members away from its crispy crust till dinner :lol: .
0 x

Cares

Re: Preppers Recipes

Postby Cares » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:00 am

I like the sound of the baked beans and I just love cloves :D

I did recently find the very best prepper food to grow in the garden.
My dad always grew broad beans, only he picked them when they were quite large and mum would just boil them and they were presented on the plate (amongst other things) as a very unappealing grey pile of giant beans and they were disgusting :roll:
So I thought to myself 'I'm gunna grow some of these awful beans and do something to make them taste good' ;)
Well in short...I failed to do anything with them, even when young and green apart from mash them into other food that was capable of disguising them.
So I reasoned that they were the perfect preppers bean cause no one in their right mind would ever raid your garden in order to pinch them...you'd have them all to yourself!

But you see now that I have so many of the damned things I might just try them with the baked bean recipe :lol:
0 x

WESTCOASTNZ

Re: Preppers Recipes

Postby WESTCOASTNZ » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:55 pm

Ewwww you might be on to something there - only time I have been able to eat broad beans is in falafel - where they are just used for texture not flavour.

Husband loves these and he's a super fussy eater:
Falafel
I Cup Dried white beans, dried broad beans or dried chickpeas (put in a bowl cover with 1 Litre boiling water leave 1hr - overnight when you bite into your legume of choice it should be crunchy but soft right thru - then spit it out they are discusting) chopped fine or bunged in food processor once soaked
1 onion chopped fine or bunged in food processor
5 cloves garlic chopped fine or bunged in food processor
1 cup parsley sprigs chopped fine or bunged in food processor
1/4 cup packed mint
2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp salt
grind of black pepper
1/2 tsp baking soda

Either put it all in food processor wizz and make little balls and fry in oil either deep fry or pan fry till golden brown about 3 - 5min, or chop everything fine and mix together and fry.
Family loves with fresh garden salad and hummus and raita (yoghurt with cucumber and stuff) noone knows its dried bean beginning its also super cheap tasty dinner.

Good luck with your broad beans - appart from Falafel and grinding up dry beans for flour to use in fritters - or maybe use them as ammo in like a blow gun type thing, I'd be at a loss how to use them.
0 x

Return to “New Zealand Preppers Network”