• Advertisement

My kingdom :)

New Zealand Preppers Forum. Meet and Network with other New Zealand Preppers Here.
HeinB

My kingdom :)

Postby HeinB » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:47 am

It's a great day in Auckland, and it sounds like Grace is getting a bit lonely, so I figured I would upload a few pics of my middle-of-the-city country living :D

The 'Backyard' as seen from the deck, vegetable garden in the distance, new fence going up next to it. Chicken coop on the left.

Vegetable garden is doing great this year, I usually get more then enough tomatoes to preserve them and don't end up ever buying tomatoes during the year. I'm picking massive amounts of beans and lettuce every day already and the pumpkins, gem squashes and cucumbers are coming along well. It's a bit hot for the brocolli at the moment, but they seem to be doing OK.

The chickens are my favorite employees, isn't it fantastic that these animals can turn wandering-jew into eggs!!

Some stored food: The pantry is pretty average

I have about 3 weeks worth for the whole family of the back-country dehydrated meals, I love them when out hunting, they are light and take up bugger all space:

Some of the bottled up stuff, this is the oldest stuff that is getting rotated into use:

Some more containers of long term storage food hidden behind the entertainment unit! hahaha

Some fresh water storage on the other side of the section :D :D

And last but not least the pohutukawas are flowering - magnificent!

0 x

gracefromspace

Re: My kingdom :)

Postby gracefromspace » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:30 am

Lol, yep found myself talking to the chickens too much HeinB :D Hey, great photos, looks like you are well set up in the garden! Ours is just starting to have a big growth spurt now, plenty of veges and fruit on the way.
0 x

secoff

Postby secoff » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:05 am

Great Idea, HeinB , putting your Dry Food (rice, Grains etc) into Plastic Soft drink bottles. Never thought of that. I'm using 20 Litre plastic Buckets.
0 x

HeinB

Postby HeinB » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:42 am

Yes, the old soft drink bottle storage, the bottles are made of PET which is the same stuff the mylar food storage bags are made from (except for not being coated with mylar obviously ;) ) Works great for storing your grains and sugar for many years. I pop a mini oxygen absorber in the top which causes the sides of the bottle to get sucked in a bit, but overall a simple easy (CHEAP) solution and it should be pretty immune to breaking, crushing and liquefaction.

The major advantage of the buckets is that they stack very well! To overcome this I fill up those black containers (like the ones shown above behind the tv cabinet) with the bottles, then stack the containers.
0 x

HeinB

Postby HeinB » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:43 am

That chicken coop was built 100% out of scrap timber that I had lying around the house, anyone notice the 'recycled' chess board window :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x

gracefromspace

Postby gracefromspace » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:54 am

HeinB wrote:That chicken coop was built 100% out of scrap timber that I had lying around the house, anyone notice the 'recycled' chess board window :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very nice touch HeinB :) So that would be "Chick-Mate" :lol: :lol: :lol:

We built ours out of 100% recycled as well, didn't cost a cent. I will post some pics tomorrow .... if it's not raining!
0 x

ICRCC

Postby ICRCC » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:13 am

Very nice photos, very nice indeed. I am jealous we have to wait another six months for summer. :cry:
0 x

VictoriaPrepps

Postby VictoriaPrepps » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:25 am

Sick
0 x

Syn

Postby Syn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:01 am

I quite enjoyed your pictures and had not thought of putting grains in the pop bottles. Thank you .
0 x

anitapreciouspearl

Postby anitapreciouspearl » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:14 am

I missed this post earlier - you are making me dream of summer!!! Green grass and gardens and lovely warm weather - thanks for the mini vacation!!!
0 x
(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
*´¨`•.¸¸Anita <>< *.•´¸¸¨`*
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)
¸.•´
( `•.¸
`•.¸ )
¸.•)´
(.•´

Quack, Cluck, Moo, Hee-Haw, Meow and Baaaaaaa from Shalom Engedi Farm
http://adventures-in-country-living.blogspot.com/

Return to “New Zealand Preppers Network”