• Advertisement

2012 survival community

Introduce yourselves here New Zealanders!
Shanby

2012 survival community

Postby Shanby » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:57 am

2012 survival community. We live in rural Tauranga at 240m above sea level within walking distance of a clean river and the bush line, which rises to 800m above sea level. we have been preparing for the last 3 years and the time has come to find a like minded community of preppers, as survival of the hard times would be more likely in numbers.
So this is what we are looking for: we have available a 2 bdrm house to rent, and also extra room for caravan/container sites. We also have a 200 sq mtre greenhouse and much more outdoor growing area, and collect our own rain water.
Generating our own power would be great but we don’t have the skills/resources to do this, help in this area would be fantastic. We want this community to start up and be running as we can’t do it on our own, and as you are aware too many people are asleep.
0 x

ranger2012

Re: 2012 survival community

Postby ranger2012 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:08 pm

Depending on the flow rate and volume of that stream and/or the drop (head), you might have the mean of producing your own Hydro-electricity.
0 x
"We 'Prep.' to live after a downfall, Not just to survive."

Shanby

Postby Shanby » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:42 pm

Cheers for the advice ranger2012, we had considered that option, but figured out that it wasn't viable in our case.
0 x

ranger2012

Postby ranger2012 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:04 pm

After that I would go with bio-mass or a Gasifier to produce gas. By product of a Gasifier process is heat (800+*F), of which you need to dissipate in order to use the gas for a generator or a vehicle. Four means of doing this, 1st, is to waste it with a cooler, 2nd, is to use this heat for hot water, 3rd, use the heat to cool your fridge with either a ammonia or a propane heat exchanger used in RV refrigerators, and last but not least, 4th, is use a heat exchanger to heat the house when cool and, and, possibly a greenhouse also during your winter, I really don’t know how cool it gets in your neck of the woods. :mrgreen: Dont forget to look up, COB rocket mass heaters, really neat.
0 x
"We 'Prep.' to live after a downfall, Not just to survive."

Enki

Postby Enki » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:29 am

Hi we live in the Rotorua area at the moment, but are thinking of relocating and like your Idea. Which side of Tauranga do you live. By the way am a qualified electrician.
0 x

MarlPrepper

Postby MarlPrepper » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:03 pm

Shanby there is a lot of stuff on youtube about electricity. apparently you can make a turbine from a dishwasher. you could DIY pretty cheap i imagine.
0 x
Cigarettes are just like HedgeHogs, perfectly harmless until you put them in your mouth and light them on fire.

watchman

Postby watchman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:15 am

Hi Shanby,
I agree with your numbers theory and that too many remain asleep over here, I'm happily married with a family of four n a tradesman(mechanical) livin in Rotos, I'm interested

cheers watchman
0 x

Return to “New Zealand Introductions”