• Advertisement

Hello from the South Island

Introduce yourselves here New Zealanders!
WESTCOASTNZ

Hello from the South Island

Postby WESTCOASTNZ » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:49 am

Hi Guys, we are originally from the North Island - Bay of Plenty, but have moved to the isolation of the West Coast, we are a young family (5 kids - all girls... ekk :shock: ) that are feeling the "need" to prep. We have been thinking that the best way to prep is to do it as a small rural community - like 5-6 families with different skills etc ... any thoughts?
0 x

MrHappyNZ

Re: Hello from the South Island

Postby MrHappyNZ » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:24 pm

Hi and welcome :)
Sounds like a solid plan, which part of the west coast are you on?
0 x

ICRCC

Postby ICRCC » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:59 am

Welcome Westcoastnz and greetings from Northern Ontario, Canada.
0 x

WESTCOASTNZ

Postby WESTCOASTNZ » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:55 am

MrHappyNZ wrote:Hi and welcome :)
Sounds like a solid plan, which part of the west coast are you on?

We are between Reefton and Greymouth currently not sure where we will end up yet.
0 x

MarlPrepper

Postby MarlPrepper » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:48 pm

WESTCOASTNZ wrote:Hi Guys, we are originally from the North Island - Bay of Plenty, but have moved to the isolation of the West Coast, we are a young family (5 kids - all girls... ekk :shock: ) that are feeling the "need" to prep. We have been thinking that the best way to prep is to do it as a small rural community - like 5-6 families with different skills etc ... any thoughts?

Greetings from marlborough. if you are anywhere near the grey river you could whitebait. also hunting is pretty good down your way and you could have a rain capture system for water. good spot for prepping. glad to have you here.
0 x
Cigarettes are just like HedgeHogs, perfectly harmless until you put them in your mouth and light them on fire.

WESTCOASTNZ

Postby WESTCOASTNZ » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi MarlPrepper, we haven't white baited yet, hubby has been hunting with not much joy, he reckons 1080 is killing everything and he'd need a helicopter ride deep into the bush to find anything, and we'd want to be set back in the bush more for rain collection away from coal burning neighbours, we are currently looking for the perfect block which must have running water but because of 1080 it will have to go thru a bijillion filters before I'll let my kids drink it. Was looking at those cute white meat rabbits at chookman.com I'm sure they're not that cute looking when you're hungry tho, but is it an over kill, we're planning sheep, chickens, the odd breeding sow, huge huge vege garden, tunnel houses for berries and tomatoes etc numereous fruit trees not to mention stored packaged food and preserves do we really need bunnies as well. Plus hubby has all the reloading gear projectiles and ammo sorted for shooting game for the next 5 - 10 years, alrighty I'm talking myself out off the white cute bunnies.
0 x

MarlPrepper

Postby MarlPrepper » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:02 am

i think chickens a big garden and a few sheep.
you can feed the chickens from the garden and get eggs and vege. you can get wool from the sheep and learn to make it into clothing, also you could kill a sheep for meat, i suggest a ram and 3 sheep so they can breed.
0 x
Cigarettes are just like HedgeHogs, perfectly harmless until you put them in your mouth and light them on fire.

Return to “New Zealand Introductions”