• Advertisement

bug out bag

Introduce yourselves here New Zealanders!
southernkiwi101

bug out bag

Postby southernkiwi101 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:38 am

Hi there guys new to the prepping lifestyle and i'm currently buliding my bug out bag so any suggestions would be much appricated

thanks southernkiwi
0 x

Homesteader

Re: bug out bag

Postby Homesteader » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:06 am

Hello there.

Of course there is a lot of information on this subject across the web. Most of which state the very basics: water, food, clothing, shelter, fire and first aid. And each of these are broken down even further into specifics. Now you can get suggestions from others as to what specifics they put into their b.o.b., but by the end of the day you'll be pulling your hair out because everybody is going to be carrying something different. You'll want the basics for sure, but the specifics of them are entirely personal and environmental.

Lets take water for instance. Are you bugging out to somewhere else in a town/city, or will you be heading into the bush? It seems pretty standard to carry a couple of liters, but If you're going out to the bush, you may want to take an extra liter depending on the environment (desert, mountains). Next, what kind of containers do you feel comfortable carrying? Kidney shaped canteen, camel pack, cylinder, etc. How do you plan on purifying water in case you are in need of a refill? Boil, iodine, ceramic filter, etc. There are pros and cons to all of these choices, you just have to figure out for yourself what is most important.

This is just one example of one of the basics. Finding out specifically what others are carrying is great, but ultimately it boils down to your preferences and the environment you'll be occupying. Some key factors to consider are weight, utility and bulletproof'ness. Take the same example, water. A plastic one gallon jug of water is not something a b.o.b. should have. It's cumbersome, you can't boil water in it, and a small puncture or lost cap could easily render it useless.

Aside from the basics, I'd recommend starting off with a good bag. Personally, I went with an ALICE pack. It holds a lot of weight, it's hardy, it can be modified, plenty of room for additional attachments and the frame spreads the weight over the entire back. Plus, they are not that very expensive. I'd also like to recommend starting off doing your research in the sport of 'back packing'. Everything there is designed to be light, small, rugged and meant for the outdoors. And lastly, you may also want to look into what a typical military foot soldier carries. They are deployed in hostile environments with survival in mind.

I hope this helps, and good luck on your b.o.b. development!
0 x

Homesteader

Postby Homesteader » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:15 am

Ah, I knew I was forgetting something. The basics I mentioned earlier are, of course, not complete. Navigation, light, hunting/trapping and weaponry are just a few among many more that could be included in the basics.
0 x

tazweiss

Postby tazweiss » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:45 am

There are 7 basics - Food
Water
Fire
Shelter (include clothes)
First Aid (include hygiene)
Security
Movement (travel)
Think about where and how far you're going and how much weight you're willing to carry. Try to figure out how many uses you can find for each item you pack in your b.o.b. (a gerber or leatherman is more versatile than a pocket knife)(a machete is more versatile than a hatchet or a hunting knife). If you're going to be with a group, learn what they're carrying in their b.o.b.s and where in the bag it is.
Everyone has their own ideas about what to carry in a b.o.b., consider their suggestions and choose what is best for you.
0 x
In the end, your life will flash before your eyes.
Make sure it's worth watching.

eltoro

Postby eltoro » Fri May 11, 2012 11:45 pm

Where are you bugging out to and what are you going to do when you get there?
0 x

WildernessReturn

Postby WildernessReturn » Sat May 12, 2012 2:08 am

0 x

WildernessReturn

Postby WildernessReturn » Sat May 12, 2012 2:14 am

Taz and Eltoro made some great suggestions as well. Consider those, they are very important :idea:
0 x

ranger2012

Postby ranger2012 » Sat May 12, 2012 8:49 pm

If your buying a backpack beware, most of the time what is sold is only the basic requirements for that backpack. Mine came with metal buckles which I deemed insufficient for what it was being used for. I replace a few of the metal ones with a quick release type and added sliders to all the load bearing straps. I’ve had to redo most of the straps on the backpack because a novice put it together. I will be replacing the shoulder strap quick release because it was made incorrectly and come apart under a load. If your not sure about your backpack, have a qualified outfitter take a look at it, or someone who has been in the Army. :mrgreen:
0 x
"We 'Prep.' to live after a downfall, Not just to survive."

Return to “New Zealand Introductions”