• Advertisement

4.5 Quake in Auckland this morning.

New Zealand news and whether discussions go here.
HeinB

4.5 Quake in Auckland this morning.

Postby HeinB » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:24 pm

I didn't notice a thing ? Supposedly centered in the central north island somewhere. Did anyone from the central north notice anything ?
0 x

gracefromspace

Re: 4.5 Quake in Auckland this morning.

Postby gracefromspace » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:45 pm

http://www.geonet.org.nz/

It was centred 30km east of Tolaga Bay, I didn't feel it but my animals did. Three quakes there since yesterday & not surprising with the events this week of Tuesdays thunder storms, massive lightning strikes (which threw out impressive blue flashes from our power points & phone jacks), and combined with yesterdays Solar Eclipse....Mother Nature reminding us ..... :)
0 x

HeinB

Postby HeinB » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:35 am

Lets hope that east coast isn't in for another big quake.
0 x

gracefromspace

Postby gracefromspace » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:55 am

Lets' hope not HeinB, but many NZ'ers think it will never happen to them and are not prepared in any way at all...I hate to say it, and though I am kiwi born & bred through & through, I often feel our country is much like a little tiny village with a mentality to match. Here we are sitting on a "seismic superbowl" .... :?
0 x

HeinB

Postby HeinB » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:00 am

Exactly! I'm amazed how many people are not even prepared for the tiniest interruption to their normal way of life, boggles my mind actually. We are basically living a fairly new bit of land right on a major fault line!! Not being prepared for the first CHCH quake was silly, not being prepared for the second one was somewhere between foolish and stupid.
0 x

gracefromspace

Postby gracefromspace » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:27 am

You said it. Nobody seems to want to take responsibility for helping themselves anymore, rather sit around moaning & waiting for services, govt etc to come to their aid. The power goes off for half an hour or less in a main centre and all hell breaks loose. For us, we get outages alot because we live in a fairly isolated rural area, it's just part of life and we're used to it and deal with it easily. Fire up the woodburner & BBQ, get some water out of the tank, solar/dynamo torches & candles if it's night time & go possum hunting or catch up on sleep. There is no cell phone coverage at all here so we have an old school corded phone that doesn't require power. Rural life is pretty good :D
Last edited by gracefromspace on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

MrHappyNZ

Postby MrHappyNZ » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:54 pm

Absolutely agree! I think people are far to easy to forget how dangerous the earth and hence our islands can be. I work in a call centre, and people *actually* complained about delays caused by Christchurch's quake.

Oh a major earthquake in Christchurch, well it won't happen here! And if it does the government will save me!
Wah! the powers out, I want to sue cause I was *slightly* inconveninced for a couple of hours.
No thought to the fact that they pay $5 for a coffee X times a day, but don't have any spare food put aside.

Grrr stupid sheeple
0 x

gracefromspace

Postby gracefromspace » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:33 pm

Crazy isn't it? I bet you get alot of that MrHappy. Another moderate quake this morning in Whitianga area this time. I saw a NZ news website article the other day about a few people who prep. They have a link on it to a government dept that asks people to email & tell them what supplies and prep plans etc they have, offering free theatre tickets if you do....Hmmmm...don't think I will be participating in that :lol:
0 x

Return to “New Zealand News and Weather”