• Advertisement

Underground bunkers

Post general New Zealand discussions here.
MarlPrepper

Re: Underground bunkers

Postby MarlPrepper » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:46 pm

i know someone that rents a shipping container and it only costs him about $7 a week. so id have to imagine the containers are very cheap.
0 x
Cigarettes are just like HedgeHogs, perfectly harmless until you put them in your mouth and light them on fire.

sixin
New Zealand

Postby sixin » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:54 pm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchR ... region=100

They range in price from $1000 up to around $5000 depending on condition.
0 x
SiXiN
Southern Kiwi Prepper

gracefromspace

Postby gracefromspace » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:58 pm

SnookieNZ wrote:I am looking at building an underground bunker from shipping containers. Does anyone know of any NZ company's that make any other type of underground bunker? I also want to make this totally off the grid. Any ideas on how to do a project of this size covertly?

Am I allowed to mention a specific NZ bunker website I saw ? I do quite like the idea but I'm not completely convinced that underground bunkers are the way to go, especially as a primary or only means of shelter and supplies storage. My late wise Dad always taught me "never put all your eggs in one basket" for good reason. Although bunkers/underground shelters do have alot of apparent benefits to provide protection from a number of things, there could be alot of draw backs in certain situations - earthquakes, liquifaction, flooding, ventilation, escape? the power of water and flooding is never to be underestimated, & could surely turn underground habitats into watery graves very quickly if you did not expect massive volumes of water and were unfortunate to have taken shelter in one. There would be an awful lot to consider before undertaking a bunker project I should think?
0 x

STEPHENH

Postby STEPHENH » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:48 am

gracefromspace wrote:
SnookieNZ wrote:I am looking at building an underground bunker from shipping containers. Does anyone know of any NZ company's that make any other type of underground bunker? I also want to make this totally off the grid. Any ideas on how to do a project of this size covertly?

Am I allowed to mention a specific NZ bunker website I saw ? I do quite like the idea but I'm not completely convinced that underground bunkers are the way to go, especially as a primary or only means of shelter and supplies storage. My late wise Dad always taught me "never put all your eggs in one basket" for good reason. Although bunkers/underground shelters do have alot of apparent benefits to provide protection from a number of things, there could be alot of draw backs in certain situations - earthquakes, liquifaction, flooding, ventilation, escape? the power of water and flooding is never to be underestimated, & could surely turn underground habitats into watery graves very quickly if you did not expect massive volumes of water and were unfortunate to have taken shelter in one. There would be an awful lot to consider before undertaking a bunker project I should think?

yes gracefromspace never really considered flooding in a bunker but it is certainly worth considering before undertaking a bunker project
0 x

gracefromspace

Postby gracefromspace » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:35 am

0 x

ranger2012

Postby ranger2012 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:29 pm

I'll be perfectly straight with you, along the Pacific Rim,(or the ring of fire) your screwed when it come to underground structures. the Same with British Columbia. In any areas that is near a fault line, you are best with an above ground shelter, on a sway foundation. (spring, roller or both). In Northern Ontario, where it is mostly rock the same thing applies unless you find a Shallow where you can fit a shelter and cover it. Or an abandoned mine, but would require additional structural support.
0 x
"We 'Prep.' to live after a downfall, Not just to survive."

sixin
New Zealand

Postby sixin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:21 pm

Underground bunkers in NZ are rather troublesum, due to our high soil moisture, high water table(In some areas) and ground movement. While they can still be done here effectively they require alot of pre-build planning and extensive structural strengthening and support.

Shipping containers are designed to protect their goods but only when the load above is focused on the corners of the container(Their strongest points) I have seen a container buried but the weight of the soil ontop of the container caused it to bow in the middle. It was buried approx 1 meter below the surface.

If you plan to bury a container do you homework first, especially around load points and weight distribution. Also containers exposed to moisture do and will rust.
0 x
SiXiN
Southern Kiwi Prepper

HeinB

Postby HeinB » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:56 am

It sounds like the consensus has it about right, the biggest problem with underground shelters in kiwi-land is water, damp environments are terrible for storing just about anything gear or food wise. My best plan for a shelter / storage area is to actually construct a hidden safe room / storage room inside the house, not a big deal to wall off a few square meters of a large rumpus room and make a hidden entrance. Add a lot of bracing and strengthening and you also have a pretty secure place to go during earthquakes etc.
0 x

Return to “General New Zealand Dicussions”