• Advertisement

Underground bunkers

Post general New Zealand discussions here.
SnookieNZ

Underground bunkers

Postby SnookieNZ » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:10 pm

I am looking at building an underground bunker from shipping containers. Does anyone know of any NZ company's that make any other type of underground bunker? I also want to make this totally off the grid. Any ideas on how to do a project of this size covertly?
0 x

secoff

Re: Underground bunkers

Postby secoff » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:29 pm

You must have watched the movie "Take Shelter"!
I'm sure Shipping companies sell Older Containers. And I'm sure I've seen a few on Trademe as well.
Good luck with the project.
0 x

SnookieNZ

Postby SnookieNZ » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:32 pm

Thanks secoff. I have been researching shipping containers for a while and they are cheap and easy to come by. What I was wondering was if there are companies that offer alternative type bunkers so I can compare.
0 x

tazweiss

Postby tazweiss » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:52 am

The thing with sea containers, is that they have to be reinforced to bury them. Have you ever heard of them having to reinforce an eight or ten foot culvert before burying it. I don't know what the difference in cost would be but it might be something to look into.
0 x
In the end, your life will flash before your eyes.
Make sure it's worth watching.

secoff

Postby secoff » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:50 am

If your talking about Underground Shelters, NZ doesn't seem to offer much in that Area. The best thing to do is a customize Shelter, Either shipping containers, or you could go the whole nine yards and Concrete Bunker. Another thing maybe Fibreglass?? Of course it all depends on What you want to protect against.
0 x

Cares

Postby Cares » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:25 pm

Check out concrete water tank manufaturers...we have one here in NSW that also makes fire shelters, gun/explosive shelters. They are built to withstand being buried, but I'm not sure how the cost compares with shipping containers.
They started making the fire shelters after the VIC fires.

I can't help wondering if going underground isn't a little extreme in either Australia or New Zealand though?!?
But then I could be the one with egg on my face if you are right and I am wrong ;)
0 x

ranger2012

Postby ranger2012 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:53 pm

If you intend on living in a culvert style shelter, just be warned that they hold moisture like a sponge. I was a shelter commander in Germany with the military. These were made with 10 ft dia x 6ft sections, and even with a week of forced air heating these suckers were still damp. With Sea-cans you have the option of insulating them first with high density spray foam and then a sealant. Sure, you could do the same with the culvert but at least the metal wont hold moisture. Structurally, encapsulate it with re-enforced concrete, just have temp bracing on the inside before pouring the concrete. Which ever way you go make sure that: you have 2 means of escape, good constant, dry ventilation ( a cold bar dehumidifier on the inlet vent)(could use a low volume solar powered exhaust fan), proper drainage (make sure your above the waterline) and last, but just as important, Carbon monoxide detectors, to prevent the shelter from becoming a tomb. :shock: :geek: :mrgreen:
0 x
"We 'Prep.' to live after a downfall, Not just to survive."

bce1

Postby bce1 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:31 pm

Ive gone underground in NZ. Its probably a bit extreme - but it does a number of things - it provides secure storeage for my gear, it provides a "safe room" in a short-term home security problem plus it will provide NBC protection, reenforced protection from ash fall and any other reason being under ground is preferred. Bit paranoid I know but the first reason was one of the prime drivers.

To be honest Im not sure shipping containers are up to it with all our potential earthquakes and things. If you are planning on using a shipping container as has already been said - I would only use it for framing for a re-enforced concrete pour. Im sure you have done the reading around shipping containers and there strength in in the corners for vertical loads and they don't cope well with side-ways shearing forces without significant reenforcement

While NZ is not known for its basements - it is not seen as freakish to build one and it is not a huge conversion from basement to bunker if you have thought out the design in the first place. Its very easy to have an alternative explanation for what you are doing which stands up to scrutiny

++ on the Carbon monoxide monitors - provided you are removing the air there is scope to run generators and gas stoves inside - but each year or so campers die from using their gas stove in the tent or hut in NZ - CO poisoning is something to be very very wary of if living in a semi-sealed environment. You need a lot of redundancy in terms of monitoring.

There is a Taupo company that does proper shelter construction - but they are very pricey and sluggish is replying to emails.

I have put a lot of thought into mine so if you want to chat feel free to message me.

cheers
BCE
0 x

SnookieNZ

Postby SnookieNZ » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:25 am

Cares, sadly people are the same the world over. I hope your faith in people Down Under surpasses my lack thereof.
0 x

SnookieNZ

Postby SnookieNZ » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:29 am

Thanks for all the good advice. I am now thinking of containers underground used as storage an double story with containers turned into housing above ground. It might make energy, air and water systems easier to apply off grid.
0 x

Return to “General New Zealand Dicussions”