• Advertisement

Question: what am I? Prepper or wannabe?

Post general New Zealand discussions here.
MrHappyNZ

Re: Question: what am I? Prepper or wannabe?

Postby MrHappyNZ » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:33 pm

Hey thanks for all the replies, is great to see I'm not alone in how I think and feel.

I am a prepper, and really anyone that takes active steps to 'be prepared' for any disaster, from hurricanes to SHTF can make the claim. We all do it differently and to different degrees, and we all have different means and inclinations towards what it is we are preparing for.
But it is in that goal that we are united, and that’s what gives me hope for the future - that there are others preparing "just in case", and so humanity will continue regardless of what troubles might befall us.
0 x

sixin
New Zealand

Postby sixin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:23 pm

MrHappyNZ wrote:Hey thanks for all the replies, is great to see I'm not alone in how I think and feel.

I am a prepper, and really anyone that takes active steps to 'be prepared' for any disaster, from hurricanes to SHTF can make the claim. We all do it differently and to different degrees, and we all have different means and inclinations towards what it is we are preparing for.
But it is in that goal that we are united, and that’s what gives me hope for the future - that there are others preparing "just in case", and so humanity will continue regardless of what troubles might befall us.

Totally agree! Well put :)
0 x
SiXiN
Southern Kiwi Prepper

secoff

Postby secoff » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:28 am

I Found this the other day and it got me thinking about prepping.!

For anyone considering this type of lifestyle, here are some Myths about Survivalism:

1: It’s just like camping.- It’s nothing like camping. When you go camping, if you can’t take a shower for a couple of days. No problem, you’ll take one when you get home. This will be your home, and you’ll have to figure out how to keep your body (and clothing) clean all year long, in the cold, snow or wind. On a camping trip, you can live without anything for a couple of days, even weeks, and you can always jump back in the car and go to the nearest grocery store to pick up what you need. What if there were no grocery store available? How will you feel when your daily habits are interrupted, not just for a few days trip, but for the foreseeable future?

2: You can buy enough food and supplies for forever. No, someday what you have will run out. You’ll have to learn to grow and/or gather new food supplies and to learn to use what you have, even if that means pancakes without baking powder. Someday you will have to wipe your butt with a washable rag instead of disposable toilet paper. Someday there will be no gas to get to the store and the store won’t have anything on the shelves anyway
3: Your neighbors will gather around and help each other. Think about your neighbors who haven’t got a clue, or can’t bear the thought, of their comfy suburban lives changing when the reality of where society is going hits them, “upside the head”. What if your neighbors can’t get their daily supply of cigarettes, beer, Prozac, soda pop, etc., etc., etc.? Are they going to be the kind of people you can depend on? For how long?

4: If I buy enough gadgets (mini washing machine, generator, solar tracker) I’ll be OK. If you truly believe that society is in for a big shake up, you’ll realize that this is not a time to spend money unnecessarily, but to put every penny you can into what is practical. Gadgets are going to break down and then you will have to learn to live without them anyway. Why not learn now?

5: I can get to my survival location when TSHTF. This is the most flawed and perhaps the most popular plan, thinking that when all hell breaks loose, you will know far enough in advance to travel the hundreds of miles to your survival location. When the door slams shut, the highways will be blocked, the urban and suburban streets will be blocked and patrolled and no one will be going anywhere! Even if your survival location is only a few miles away, you probably won’t be able to get there. If you truly understand the need for being “survival-minded”, why not begin living the self-sufficient lifestyle NOW? Learn what it really means to live off-the-grid NOW, not when there is chaos all around you. You may find that it’s a much better lifestyle than the one you are living now.
6: I can convince my “significant other” that this is the right move. No, you can’t, and you shouldn’t. All you can do is give them information and allow them to do with it what they do. People either get this or they don’t. It’s not for everyone. This goes for all family members. I’m not saying go or don’t go without them. That’s an individual, circumstantial decision and action. If all members of your family are not on the same page, you’ll have to determine what to do. Staying where you are may be your choice. Just do it as an informed decision.

7: I don’t need to prepare a place. I’ll just grab my Bug-Out-Bag and find a cave somewhere. How many others do you think have that same plan? Especially those who live near caves, already know where they are and already expect to be occupying them? And can your bug out bag hold what you really need for an extended period of time?

8: My kids will be bored. Your kids will be learning so many new ways of living, so many daily activities and chores, connecting with nature in so many new ways, they won’t have time to be bored. Allow them the freedom to discover things like what bugs are in the grass around your home, what plants grow, what wildlife is still abundant on this beautiful land. If your attitude is one of wonder and not worry, so will theirs be. Help them look at this as an adventure, not a burden.
0 x

secoff

Postby secoff » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:07 am

There are many definitions of “survivalist” (or “prepper”) on the internet, but essentially it is someone who makes preparations so that any emergency such as a hurricane, economic collapse, nuclear war, etc. will have a minimal impact on his or her lifestyle. There are many types of survivalists who focus on different types of preps depending on their situation and what they expect to happen. Here are the most common scenarios that concern survivalists:

Aliens and AI. The possibility of an invasion by extra terrestrials or the rise of artificial intelligence doesn’t really concern me personally. However, there is a growing movement of people who worry about these things and prepare accordingly. This could mean having a homestead in the country where they can be isolated and self sufficient until the crisis passes.

Biochemical. The concern here is with fatal diseases and chemicals such as anthrax, cholera, HIV, SARS, swine flu, etc. An outbreak of one of these could happen by accident or on purpose by a group of terrorists. This means purchasing respirators, gloves, sanitizers, plastic sheeting and other related items and learning about sanitation and hygiene.

Economic. This is a very popular concern right now, and for good reason. Overspending and monetary manipulation by the government and central banks could lead to a new deflationary depression like in the 1930′s United States or a hyperinflationary scenario like in modern-day Zimbabwe. Preparing for this means converting your wealth from money into things that maintain their value such as food, water, guns and ammunition, precious metals, and other things that could become rare or too expensive.

Eschatological. Many Christians believe that current events are the fulfillment of prophecies such as those made in the Book of Revelation and that they will live to see the return of Jesus Christ. Most believe their savior will rescue them before the period of time known as the Tribulation (when the anti-christ turns Earth into a worldwide dictatorship). Others believe they will have to survive through these days before Jesus returns and are focused on long-term food storage and self-sufficiency.

Malthusian. This movement goes back to Thomas Malthus who believed exponential population growth would eventually lead to limited resources such as food, water and energy. Many advocates believe widespread famine and disease will bring the population back into balance with Earth’s resources. Again, food, water storage and self-sufficiency is the way to prepare for this scenario.

Medical. Has to do with preparing for more common medical emergencies such as car accidents, choking, drowning, etc. These people are typically know the Heimlick Maneuver or how to perform CPR and understand the basics of the human body and healthy vital signs. They stockpile first aid kits, medicine, and books on medical treatment and often donate blood or volunteer for the Red Cross.

Natural Disaster, brief. There are multiple brief disasters: earthquakes, blizzards, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, wildfires and so on. The focus here is on reinforcing doors and windows and stocking up on enough food and other supplies to last until help arrives. This usually involves getting or putting together a bug out bag.
Natural Disaster, long-term. A long natural disaster could be something like a multi-year weather cycle that kills crops with heat, cold, too much or too little rain, etc. People preparing for this stock up on several tons of food and likely have greenhouse and non-hybrid seeds.

Natural Disaster, permanent. Something that could last for generations—perhaps forever—such as global warming, a new ice age or a large meteor strike. You have to be a pretty hardcore survivalist to prepare for this. To survive it would take a bunker with enough food, water and supplies to last a lifetime.
Peak Oil. Peak oil doomers, like Malthusians, believe the exponential function will be our downfall. The idea is that humans are using too much oil and that over the next several decades oil will become more scarce and more expensive. And since our society relies on oil, it will have devastating consequences on the economy and infrastructure. To survive this, people would have to learn to live with very little, if any, electricity and possessions
Rawlesian. Followers of James Wesley Rawles who has written several books on survivalism and runs the site, SurvivalBlog.com. These people are usually conservative gun-owners who prepare for all types of disasters and have a homestead (a piece of land where they can be self reliant).

Safety. Involves preparing for and avoiding life-threatening situations such as fires, home invasions, lightning strikes, plane crashes, snake bites and other such emergencies. For example, a safety survivalist usually owns a fire extinguisher. A good book for this is The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook .

Self Defense. The focus here is on surviving violent encounters with dangerous people and usually requires training in danger awareness, martial arts and use of weapons such as knives and guns, and home defense.

Technological. Possible scenarios include indefinite power outages, computer viruses that bring commerce to a standstill, nano-technology run amok, and other technological disasters. The focus is on learning to survive and thrive without electricity and technology by practicing skills such as cooking without power.

Wilderness. This has to do with surviving on your own when lost/stranded in the wilderness after a plane crash, shipwreck, camping trip, etc. These people carry survival kits with food, water purifiers, medical gear and navigation equipment and have learned skills such as how to start a fire.

World War. The threat of nuclear war was a major concern during the Cold War, but it is still relevant today due to entanglements in the Middle East and rogue states such as North Korea. People worried about war usually have a bomb shelter and all types of food and supplies.

Zombies. Many people also prepare for the possibility that, for either supernatural or biological reasons, the dead could return to life and wreak havoc on society. Even more likely, humans could become infected with an extremely contagious form of rabies. Preparing for these possibilities means stocking up on lots of guns and ammunition and having either a safe retreat or a great BOV with all the necessary supplies.

If you’re new to all this, the number of potential disasters can be very overwhelming and it might be hard to decide where to begin. I suggest you do your own research, decide which of the above scenarios concerns you the most and start preparing accordingly. For example, I began with a focus on what I think is the most likely scenario: an economic meltdown. I started by stocking up on food, water and items I can trade in case there is a new Great Depression. Since then I’ve expanded into preps for natural disasters and world war.
Decide which type of survivalist you are and start from there.
0 x

susannah755

Postby susannah755 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:34 am

Awesome post Secoff, thank you.
0 x
Russell Coight....outback legend

ranger2012

Postby ranger2012 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:24 pm

I think, and I could be wrong, But I believe, that all that are here on this site are Preppers. Every body here Wannabe in a better position to survive if the time comes that we will have to depend on our current efforts. Most of us strive to Prep more than others, some of us are in a better position to do so.
So to answer the question, "What am I? Prepper or wannabe?" My answer for most of us would be, BOTH. :| :mrgreen:
0 x
"We 'Prep.' to live after a downfall, Not just to survive."

ICRCC

Postby ICRCC » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:42 pm

I absolutely agree prepper we are all preppers here and most wannabe better preppers. I have been prepping for years but still strive to be better. The great thing about prepping is you prep to a point where you feel comfortable that you have met expectations that you have for disasters. Some are quite happy with a 72 hour kit, others aim for a year. At the top end of the scale you have those who want a hardened bunker and still others who strive to be totally self sufficient. While complete self sufficiency is a worthy goal for most of us it might be unobtainable. Where you want to aim for in the prepper scale is an individual choice. What matters is that we continue to work towards whatever goal that we set for ourselves.
0 x

sixin
New Zealand

Postby sixin » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:17 am

An interesting listing of scenarios.
0 x
SiXiN
Southern Kiwi Prepper

gracefromspace

Postby gracefromspace » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:19 pm

It sounds to me like you have made a really good effort to establish your supplies so far and have a plan for you and your family, unlike the majority of the population. We still have to go on with our daily lives and pay the bills to do so. I am not "obsessive" about prepping, but I do try to do one or two simple things each or every other day toward preparedness, even if it's just collecting and storing seeds from my vegetable and medicinal herb gardens. Even those who may consider themselves to be "better" prepared for an event could not include every possible worst case scenario and detail into their plan, no matter how much time and money they spend on prepping. There are so many unknown variables to any event or disaster until it occurs that no one will foresee, particularly when there is a likelyhood of a disaster setting off a chain of other events. I say give yourself some credit for what you have accomplished so far, a pat on the back, and continue thinking ahead. One thing I do suggest in the event that you can continue living where you are or need to relocate, is having a small seed bank (if you don't already) so you could start growing food well before your supplies ran out, a really good 'old school' organic food gardening book and also one on medicinal herbs and plants so you always have a "hard copy" of highly useful information. At the end of the day, knowledge is power and the single most useful tool you can have that may save your skin.
0 x

Faraday

Postby Faraday » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:09 am

I agree with gracefromspace, knowledge is power! I believe that the best way to prepare is with a head full of useful information.
What is a prepper? If you heard it would rain and you brought an umbrella, you are prepping. It is as cut and dry as that.
As for the different levels of preparedness? Who cares what anyone thinks? You do what you do, you and your family are comfortable, that's all that matters.
The guy with the bunker, good on him, it's not really for me.
We handle our business and try to promote others to do the same.
Never feel "less then", you're doing the right thing. I hate the term "wannabe" it's such a put down, or maybe the Spice Girls ruined it for me, in any case there's no certificate to join this club. You learn as you go and know you're doing the best you can.
0 x
If your home library contains more volumes about survival-related topics than your local public library, you might be a prepper.

Return to “General New Zealand Dicussions”