• Advertisement

Question: what am I? Prepper or wannabe?

Post general New Zealand discussions here.
MarlPrepper

Re: Question: what am I? Prepper or wannabe?

Postby MarlPrepper » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:27 am

i think a real prepper is someone who has the skills to survive with nothing in the wild. sure all these fancy food preps and underground bunkers would be great but alot of people forget about what would happen if they got evicted from their home. if a gang of 40 people came to a small camper van with a family of 4 you surely wouldn't win, that would result in you losing all of your food and water preps. but if you have a good knowledge of bushcraft you can start a fire in the woods, make natural twine to snare with cook animals and live off the land. being a prepper is preparing for something, a wannabe is someone who does nothing about it.
0 x
Cigarettes are just like HedgeHogs, perfectly harmless until you put them in your mouth and light them on fire.

ranger2012

Postby ranger2012 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:55 pm

I believe your talking about a bushcraft/survivalist. Most Preppers are not bc/survivalist, for without their stuff they wouldn’t have a clue on how to survive with just a knife or hatchet. A true survivalist knows how to improvise with what is available, stone, wood, vine, root, glass, plastic, and scrap metal. A garbage heap is a treasure to a survivalist. So the next trash day, as you drive down the road, ask your self this question. "with what I see now, Do I have the skill to make things to survive". To Improvise, is to use your imagination. :geek: :mrgreen:
0 x
"We 'Prep.' to live after a downfall, Not just to survive."

sixin
New Zealand

Postby sixin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:40 pm

Prepping for me is about being able to continue living at a sustainable level after being placed into a situation not of our own making, whether that is from a Natural or Man-made situation. It is up to you how much or how little preparation you do. Preparation is about knowing your location, knowing what the area you live in is prone to and what other situations you may be put in based on the situations happening around you in the world.

No one can prep for everything, its impossible, however you can make the most of known threats to you and your family in your location. However you need to be realistic about the situations that may threaten you. eg, Prepping for a Supernova is pointless, as you could stock pile everything, and it will disappear along with you, when it happens. Understanding the threats to you and being realistic about those threats is important, as it will help you understand what you need and when you need it.
0 x
SiXiN
Southern Kiwi Prepper

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:18 pm

I beleive Chris Martenson said if you only 3% prepaired, thats a night and day difference from being 0% prepaired.
And Michael Ruppert comment on Prepping that, If you are being chased by a bear, you dont need to be faster than the bear. You only have to be faster than the other campers.
0 x
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

MrHappyNZ

Postby MrHappyNZ » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:32 pm

MarlPrepper wrote:i think a real prepper is someone who has the skills to survive with nothing in the wild. sure all these fancy food preps and underground bunkers would be great but alot of people forget about what would happen if they got evicted from their home. if a gang of 40 people came to a small camper van with a family of 4 you surely wouldn't win, that would result in you losing all of your food and water preps. but if you have a good knowledge of bushcraft you can start a fire in the woods, make natural twine to snare with cook animals and live off the land. being a prepper is preparing for something, a wannabe is someone who does nothing about it.

Just to play devils advocate (and sorry MarlPrepper if I'm picking on you), but *this* is kind of why I started the thread.

I have some very basic survival skills, I could probably survive a few days to a week alone in 'the wild' - could probably even manage to keep my family alive as well. But not for great lengths of time, its just wouldn't happen. I'd give it a decent crack but acknowledge I lack the appropriate skills/practice.
Your first sentence states that I'm not a 'real prepper' because I lack the survival skills to survive in the wild, however your last sentence says I am cause I have at least taken some steps.
So admittedly I'm not sure if by your standards if I am a prepper or not.

I just don't see running into the deepest darkest bush and 'living off the land' as being a great option for my family, its a fall back plan to buy some time for sure, but being the make or break of a prepper I'm just not sold on it.
My preps are to either allow us to get through a short term event (storms, outages, quakes even) and to give us a head start ahead of the sheeple if something much worse occurs. So my bias is towards what you're prepping for, what you expect your preps to achieve, and what you can realistically hope to accomplish.
If a massive quake struck and leveled the city we have the resources not to have to line up for food in two days’ time (likely still would mind you). If a pandemic struck tomorrow, we'd be able to sit at home and hopefully weather the worst of it safely. If the grid went down right now, we'd struggle but at the same time we would be much better off than 99% of everyone else, we'd have the time and resources in which to react and adapt. And only in that last example would bush craft skills potentially be required, and that’s a true SHTF scenario.

I can't and frankly won't prep for everything, I guess for me, we prep in case of disasters and to have a head start during anything worse.

Interestingly I was talking with my brother about prepping, his reply was “I have plenty of guns I’ll just take what I need.” Oddly enough (stick with me on this), I place that comment in with the ‘must know bush craft skills’.
Huh what?? you may say, to me they are both only relevant to specific situations – if it’s a quake or an outage that will only last a week or so, he’s up sh!t creek, I mean so he’ll go kill his neighbours for food when everything will be back to normal next week? I don’t think so.
Same with the bushman, after a quake he’ll head bush and live off the land? How many did this after Christchurch, I’ll bet not one person did.
Now if its TEOTWAWKI, then both are very valid and very viable options for survival. And I’ll be inviting both along to find some quiet corner on a farm somewhere.

Hmmm sorry if that sounds like a bit of a rant, its really not meant to be. It’s an interesting question, and is fun to discuss mainly because we all have such widely different views and reasons for prepping.

(And sorry again MarlPrepper, its really not meant to be a direct attack on you)
0 x

gracefromspace

Postby gracefromspace » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:07 am

MrHappyNZ, I feel you are being very much a realist in your thinking and preparing for what is very possible on any given day in NZ. Funnily enough, we had a similar conversation with a close friend as that you had with your brother. If it came down to the wire in that worst case scenario, I'm sure your brother would not be the only person there with guns and fighting over food either. Would he have considered this? Most likely not. This is what sets us preppers apart from the rest of the sheeple population.
0 x

ranger2012

Postby ranger2012 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:49 pm

For those who have been in the military, you'll know what I mean. If in a SHTF scenerio, you have a wilderness camp, do not have every one in that camp. Have your best hunters out side of the camp, they will see who coming towrds your camp. If it is a possible friendly, you migt know soon enough. If that friendly turns out bad, and your out side watcher see's you put up your hands, then he has the responsibility of putting the intruder down. In these situations, when your traveling, you have a person in front and in back watching. When in doubt, you stop hide and only your (outriders) check out the situation., If, you plan to climb a tree to look around besure it is one with cover, or you make a good target or indicator of where your group is located.
0 x
"We 'Prep.' to live after a downfall, Not just to survive."

MrHappyNZ

Postby MrHappyNZ » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:20 pm

Cheers gracefromspace, I think your right.
I suspect the worst time to be using your guns to 'acquire' food (or moving in general) will be the 3-14 day mark following a SHTF event, meaning after the sheeples food has run out and the hunger pains have set in. That’s when the fools with guns will be out trying to steal food and (hopefully) running into the other fools and reducing both gene-pools.
If the SHTF then that period will be like a wildfire, destroying or consuming everything it touches but eventually burning itself out as the food/fuel/ammo is used up. We plan on 'hiding in plain sight' or bugging out if required (assuming theres the opportunity to do so), but the main goal is to survive those exceptionally dangerous first few weeks and go from there.
Hehe of course, thats the plan and as the saying goes "a plan never survives contact with the enemy." :)
0 x

HeinB

Postby HeinB » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:20 pm

MrHappyNZ wrote:Us pepper’s (and yes I do consider myself one) are an interesting bunch. I had a sleepless night last night (for no reason that I can tell) and it got me thinking ...

First some background - I have been prepping for ~1 year now and since then have establish a reserve that would feed my family of four for approximately 30 days. We have some back up gear as well, but intend for the most part to bug-in (I do have other options if the SHTF in a major way).
Where I live is in a semi-rural town 15mins from a city, I was in the territorials (like reserves) about 20yrs ago and am aware that I have forgotten more than I remember (although I have plenty of 'theoretical' knowledge my actual skills are very rusty). I don't live on a farm or even own my property, even so I'm considering putting down a bore for our own water supply (if I can do it cheap enough of course).
Realistically we are prepping for earthquakes/extreme weather events, but for the big ones I'm concerned about CME's and pandemics.

We are fairly lucky that where we live is a relatively calm place, but unfortunately geologically unstable, so your concept of prepping for natural disasters is VERY sensible. Pandemics is really the only major extinction event that we know will happen at some time in the future, all the other potential events are relatively lower odds. So having the resources to be able to not mingle with other people for at least 30 days makes you absolutely a prepper, in fact my estimate would be that if you could really sustain your family for 30 days off the grid then that would put you in the top 1% of prepared people. Average sheeple just have no concept of how fragile things really are.

MrHappyNZ wrote:Now on some boards/forums there seems to be an almost elitist view as to just what constitutes being a prepper. Sometimes it seems that if you don't have a buried bunker or 1-2-3yrs food supplies you're just a 'wannabe', if you're not training every other hour/day then you’re just playing.
I acknowledge we are a diverse bunch though aren't we, some prep for 'natural events' others the SHTF end of the world. We have a common name "prepper" and in many ways common goals, the SHTF guy will certainly be prepared for any lesser event but also the natural events guy will at least be ahead of the curve compared to others.

I get a bit p'd off sometimes with the elitist types you mention, anybody that knows that unpredictable things happen and take any steps to protect themselves and their loved ones are a prepper. No, you don't have to own a AR15 or 10 years worth of beans and rice! The best one I heard was a popular youtube prepper telling the world that if you're not religious then you can't be a prepper!! The ideal scenario I see is that EVERYONE become a prepper to some degree, that way when we do get eventually run into some event it's just business as usual, so we should be inclusive and inviting, not try to discourage people from prepping!

MrHappyNZ wrote:We have significantly more than the emergency service recommendation, and have alternate plans for many 'what if' situations. But am I still a wannabe? Am I a 'true' prepper, what is a 'true' prepper. Surely if you have even just put aside more than the minimum three days then you're a prepper, but that doesn't feel right to me.
I don't get out as much as I'd like, but even then if I did it would be more or less just my family as very few others of similar views seem to live nearby and friends/family are all for the most part typical sheeple. But isn't that really just an excuse?
While I continue to increase my prep's, I believe what I have will see me through any 'realistic' disasters, I also believe it they would give me a major head start given a SHTF event. And isn't that what prepping is all about?

Yep, prepping means different things to different people, for people like us it's just cheap insurance and peace of mind!

MrHappyNZ wrote:Am interested to hear your thoughts and opinions. Sorry if it’s a bit rambling, and it’s not to say the community isn't supportive of any and all who come into it. :D

[/quote]

Sounds like you're onto it MrHappy, my gut says that times are-a-changing, I really believe that what seems like fringe prepping now will be mainstream in the coming years. It's obviously already happening, just look at the exploding suburban vege gardens and chicken coups, most people just don't know that it's called prepping!
0 x

gracefromspace

Postby gracefromspace » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:58 pm

With you 100% MrHappyNZ :) I think we are like minded in our approach to planning & prepping. I am indeed very fortunate and grateful that I live on a fairly isolated large rural farm & bush location (10,000 acre property) and have a number of options here including fresh water supplies, live food, and means to keep ourselves going for an extended length of time if needed. However, that situation may change in time, I don't really know, but for now I feel comfortable that we could survive quite well and remain out of sight (and out of mind)
0 x

Return to “General New Zealand Dicussions”