• Advertisement

Question: what am I? Prepper or wannabe?

Post general New Zealand discussions here.
MrHappyNZ

Question: what am I? Prepper or wannabe?

Postby MrHappyNZ » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:07 am

Us pepper’s (and yes I do consider myself one) are an interesting bunch. I had a sleepless night last night (for no reason that I can tell) and it got me thinking ...

First some background - I have been prepping for ~1 year now and since then have establish a reserve that would feed my family of four for approximately 30 days. We have some back up gear as well, but intend for the most part to bug-in (I do have other options if the SHTF in a major way).
Where I live is in a semi-rural town 15mins from a city, I was in the territorials (like reserves) about 20yrs ago and am aware that I have forgotten more than I remember (although I have plenty of 'theoretical' knowledge my actual skills are very rusty). I don't live on a farm or even own my property, even so I'm considering putting down a bore for our own water supply (if I can do it cheap enough of course).
Realistically we are prepping for earthquakes/extreme weather events, but for the big ones I'm concerned about CME's and pandemics.

Now on some boards/forums there seems to be an almost elitist view as to just what constitutes being a prepper. Sometimes it seems that if you don't have a buried bunker or 1-2-3yrs food supplies you're just a 'wannabe', if you're not training every other hour/day then you’re just playing.
I acknowledge we are a diverse bunch though aren't we, some prep for 'natural events' others the SHTF end of the world. We have a common name "prepper" and in many ways common goals, the SHTF guy will certainly be prepared for any lesser event but also the natural events guy will at least be ahead of the curve compared to others.

We have significantly more than the emergency service recommendation, and have alternate plans for many 'what if' situations. But am I still a wannabe? Am I a 'true' prepper, what is a 'true' prepper. Surely if you have even just put aside more than the minimum three days then you're a prepper, but that doesn't feel right to me.
I don't get out as much as I'd like, but even then if I did it would be more or less just my family as very few others of similar views seem to live nearby and friends/family are all for the most part typical sheeple. But isn't that really just an excuse?
While I continue to increase my prep's, I believe what I have will see me through any 'realistic' disasters, I also believe it they would give me a major head start given a SHTF event. And isn't that what prepping is all about?

Am interested to hear your thoughts and opinions. Sorry if it’s a bit rambling, and it’s not to say the community isn't supportive of any and all who come into it. :D
0 x

JustABear

Re: Question: what am I? Prepper or wannabe?

Postby JustABear » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:01 am

Prepping is a journey and all who walk the road are at different stages. I agree that there is some elitism here and in other places as well. Each will prep according to his or her own ability and resources. Those who belittle others who aren't at their stage or flush enough to have the resources they do, don't really contribute much. It is the journey that matters. Some I am sure will argue that as well. The end result IS to survive and be able to carry on. Each and every thing each of us does moves us toward that goal. Most of us have to prep and maintain our ongoing lives as well. That is the measure of our responsibility, taking care of the now as well as preparing for what may come. Put simply we all do the best we can with what we have. To those who "have it all" good on ya... One thing to keep in mind is that yes survival is the goal... but maintaining the subtle differences that make us human is as well.
0 x

susannah755

Postby susannah755 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:37 am

Well said JAB. I don't "have it all" nor do I "know it all" (and probably never will). I don't have all the "toys" and I don't want them. I own minimal camping gear (JIC) and I'm concentrating on getting the garden to produce food. I read everything I can get my hands on and I practice what I'm learning. I prep for the things I fear because I don't want to have to rely on someone else to save my butt. For what it's worth MrHappyNZ I think you're doing great.
Last edited by susannah755 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Russell Coight....outback legend

ICRCC

Postby ICRCC » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:45 am

Very eloquently put JAB. Not everyone is prepping for Armageddon, some just prep for seventy two hours others for three months. Prepping plans and the duration of your preps are personal and very individualized. So back to the question "prepper or wannabe?" Well the answer is clear you have put a lot of thought into this, you have a plan and you have at least 30 days worth of preps. You are a prepper. As time goes on you will probably hone your plans and extend your supplies. Even the most seasoned prepper would not say that they had completed the journey and did not need to do anything more. There is always more to do.
0 x

tazweiss

Postby tazweiss » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:04 am

I've spent a few years working on being prepared for my worst case scenario. I guess that makes me a prepper.
I suppose I'm also a "wannabe", because I wannabe prepared for my worst case scenario.
Am I a prepper or a wannabe? I'm not ashamed to say, I'm both.
Elitist preppers be damned. I'll just keep plugging away.
0 x
In the end, your life will flash before your eyes.
Make sure it's worth watching.

Gravlore

Postby Gravlore » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:33 am

What the heck is an Elitist prepper anyhow? Someone with a bunker? I do not so I am a regular prepper? Because someone has money to spend makes them elitist or is it someone who rubs it in your face? Elistist are the 1%, We are the 99% :lol: Great now we have class warfare for prepping.
0 x

secoff

Postby secoff » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:50 pm

Coming from Christchurch, and i still Live here, I've been prepping since the earthquake, But got interested in it a few years before hand. When my Wife joined our local Civil defense, as a EMT. (emergency management team). Once you have experience a Real Disaster, You can prep all you want, I was barely doing it when the earthquake(s) hit. But nothing Prepares you when it happens. Lucky we had Food and water for a few days, and our Area of the city wasn't badly hit. But it is a real eye-opener and has made me realized More, how unprepared we all are. I think about 40% of our people have some sort of Prepared bag or kit. Just in case we are Hit again.
0 x

Cares

Postby Cares » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:00 am

I know of a couple of people that may or may not be preppers but are partially or fully aware of what is going on in the world and they certainly have a preppers mentality.
Being aware to me is just as important so that you aren't caught by surprise.
So regardless of how prepared a person is, they are still better prepared than the average for whatever they perceive to be the greatest threat...whether that be for 3 days or 3 years. At least there need not be that initial panic over where the next meal is coming from.

We are a long way ahead of some people, but a long way behind other people...but where we are is where we are and may be as ready as we ever get depending on what happens and where.

Yes it is just a journey and the most important thing is that we are moving in the right direction.
I don't like the 'wannabe' title as it hinders people from preparing...we need to learn from each other so that all of us have a better chance of survival. :)
0 x

ICRCC

Postby ICRCC » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:53 pm

Very well put Cares.
0 x

anitapreciouspearl

Postby anitapreciouspearl » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:39 pm

I think about this question often - especially since I have a blog and I talk about prepping and people know who I am and where I live. I'm not saying I don't care - I'm just saying that I belong to a community, a church and a huge family so who would I be hiding from?? There would be many lined up to come and stay with us and because they are family I would let most of them. I am blogging because it's my quiet way of getting peoples attention and hopefully getting them thinking about what THEY can do to be prepared. Most of my friends and family are campers and children/grandchildren of WW2 in Europe - they prep without knowing they prep - at least in the very basic sense.

Does that make me less of a prepper? I am doing the best I can and to be honest I LIKE being prepared. I hate chaos, I hate it when I have to be involved in something that is badly organized - I rather BE in charge so it can be done right - ha ha!

I can't control what effects my world but I can do what I can to keep the chaos at bay and for me that's why I prep. I'll never have a bunker - I don't want one. You can call me whatever you want if that's the dividing line!
0 x
(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
*´¨`•.¸¸Anita <>< *.•´¸¸¨`*
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)
¸.•´
( `•.¸
`•.¸ )
¸.•)´
(.•´

Quack, Cluck, Moo, Hee-Haw, Meow and Baaaaaaa from Shalom Engedi Farm
http://adventures-in-country-living.blogspot.com/

Return to “General New Zealand Dicussions”