• Advertisement

Prep code?

Post general New Zealand discussions here.
JustABear

Re: Prep code?

Postby JustABear » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:06 pm

"Limited Edition" is the prime definer. There is no use whatsoever in having an identifier that becomes easy to get. I believe we HAVE TO develop clear and consistant driteria to get one and that they should be distributed by a VERY FEW trusted individuals only.
0 x

ICRCC

Postby ICRCC » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:24 pm

Again we agree JAB. Before we move forward we should explore possibilities. It would, without a doubt, be advantageous to have an identifier available now so that preppers could recognize each other. However, human nature being what it is, whatever identifier we use will become known. This poses a real problem if the SHTF. There are scenarios here that could work against us and actually be fatal.

I am in favor of having a lapel pin identifier now. I am also in favor of having a verbal identifier now too. I don't think it would be a monumental task to come up with both now. However keeping OPSEC in mind if the SHTF I think we should switch to DIFFERENT verbal and visual identifier. These second unique objects and greetings should be VERY carefully guarded. Also JAB says "they should be distributed by a VERY FEW trusted individuals only".
0 x

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:28 pm

JAB...
Very much agreed. My first thought was to send enough to each meetup leader to cover their members and a few extras to give to new ones. Other than that,IF they are distributed by mail, you may have to meet some requirements such as minimum number of posts on the forum and/or minimum membership time. As these will be quite small and light, maybe sending a SASE to a po box that I would set up would be a good way.
0 x

ICRCC

Postby ICRCC » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:00 pm

I like the idea of a SASE as it gets around the postage cost aspect. The PO box is also a good idea as long as it is in a town in which you do not reside.
0 x

MarlPrepper

Postby MarlPrepper » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:05 am

the limited edition thing is a must. if i were to make these pins i would engrave a very small code into the coin that can only be seen with a magnifying glass to counterfeits cannot be made. and if you want a collectable i can send you one and i would give you a number also, who knows you might have to leave your country and new zealand would be a great place to come for you.
0 x
Cigarettes are just like HedgeHogs, perfectly harmless until you put them in your mouth and light them on fire.

Gravlore

Postby Gravlore » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:17 am

OK people lets get into some really secure shiat here. How about 1 person buys a lock and key set. Then has however many keys made and then sends them out. If you unlock the lock then your in. Also keys owned by others can be compared and matched if one wants to confirm who is in the group. Keys can be sent VIA regular envelope easily.

This is probably the most foolproof, hard to duplicate thing I can think of.
0 x

MarlPrepper

Postby MarlPrepper » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:59 am

key thing is great gravlore. noone would steal a key from you as they wouldn't know where to use it and if they killed you at your retreat and realised it doesnt open anything they would probably discard of it. only problem is keys are more expensive. i could make heaps of coins with peoples forum names on the rim so for confirmation could then ask them something about their account and how many countries are on IPN
0 x
Cigarettes are just like HedgeHogs, perfectly harmless until you put them in your mouth and light them on fire.

JustABear

Postby JustABear » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:27 pm

Gravlore wrote:OK people lets get into some really secure shiat here. How about 1 person buys a lock and key set. Then has however many keys made and then sends them out. If you unlock the lock then your in. Also keys owned by others can be compared and matched if one wants to confirm who is in the group. Keys can be sent VIA regular envelope easily.

This is probably the most foolproof, hard to duplicate thing I can think of.

I can see this working for the ONE person only who has the lock. I would assume that the people you sent keys to would already be known to you. Kind of redundant unless I am missing something. Not really certain how it would work for recognition of of group members you have never met.
0 x

Gravlore

Postby Gravlore » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:39 pm

If everyone is known to people then why are we doing this? Send the key owner X-dollars and get a key mailed. Everything else has a high chance of forgery. Unless biometrics are involved I don't see a more secure thing than this. Match your key up with someone else's, don't need the actual lock.
0 x

Gravlore

Postby Gravlore » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:58 pm

MarlPrepper wrote:key thing is great gravlore. noone would steal a key from you as they wouldn't know where to use it and if they killed you at your retreat and realised it doesnt open anything they would probably discard of it. only problem is keys are more expensive. i could make heaps of coins with peoples forum names on the rim so for confirmation could then ask them something about their account and how many countries are on IPN

Anything homemade can be forged. If you were to keep a key and engrave a name on it, that would be another step to security.

Another way is sending out a 8 to 12 to 100 digit number to each person invited. For instance JAB is 200039443 Marl is 974600273 Farmgal is 540873285 etc. This may lead to a greeting issue unless everyone knows everyone else's number. Whatever the case may be, there should be one person in the forum handing out whatever is chosen as a form of security to his/her chosen people. Heck, if you wanted to you could do your own thing and send it to those you totally trust. I really have no skin in the game since I have kids and we all know how many people here love children.
0 x

Return to “General New Zealand Dicussions”