• Advertisement

Best Before & Expiry Dated Food Supplies

Post general New Zealand discussions here.
HeinB

Re: Best Before & Expiry Dated Food Supplies

Postby HeinB » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:11 am

gracefromspace wrote:You bargain hunter you :) Was it like this one HeinB?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/ki ... 241470.htm

Yep, that's the one! Except I paid $25 for mine! If you already have a vacuum sealer and it has the little port on the top you can just connect that to the jar sealer, if you don't then you will also need some form of vacuum pump.
0 x

gracefromspace

Postby gracefromspace » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:39 am

May I ask where you purchased your pressure canner from and how much it cost? I'm prepping on a budget.
0 x

HeinB

Postby HeinB » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:51 am

gracefromspace wrote:May I ask where you purchased your pressure canner from and how much it cost? I'm prepping on a budget.

I bought a couple of them straight from the states, one for me and one I've got on Trademe at the moment. Cost about $200 each landed, absolute bargain. Keeping an eye out now for skinless boneless chicken to go on sale then I'm going to bottle a few kilograms.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/kitchen/pots-pans-bakeware/pots/auction-535371206.htm
0 x

anitapreciouspearl

Postby anitapreciouspearl » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:08 pm

That's the attachment I was talking about. It's great! I looked up the jars - wow - they are expensive!

HeinB - congratulations on the pressure canner!! another addict in the making! I wish I could drop off some cases of jars to you both :) I get them mostly for free from my older neighbours who are n longer canning. I chatted with a neighbour yesterday and she has more for me to pick up. I could get my kids to drop them out of the plane window on their visit home to Australia :)
0 x
(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
*´¨`•.¸¸Anita <>< *.•´¸¸¨`*
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)
¸.•´
( `•.¸
`•.¸ )
¸.•)´
(.•´

Quack, Cluck, Moo, Hee-Haw, Meow and Baaaaaaa from Shalom Engedi Farm
http://adventures-in-country-living.blogspot.com/

gracefromspace

Postby gracefromspace » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:29 pm

anitapreciouspearl wrote:That's the attachment I was talking about. It's great! I looked up the jars - wow - they are expensive!

HeinB - congratulations on the pressure canner!! another addict in the making! I wish I could drop off some cases of jars to you both :) I get them mostly for free from my older neighbours who are n longer canning. I chatted with a neighbour yesterday and she has more for me to pick up. I could get my kids to drop them out of the plane window on their visit home to Australia :)

Hehe...thanks for the thought anita, I could mark a big X in a paddock for your kids to drop a parachute pack of jars down :D My Mum and Grandma used to have a tonne of them back in the day when that's what they did to preserve foods long term and they were affordable for many families. These days purchased cans and packages of processed chemical laden foods have taken over and are generally very inexpensive and of course they all want the here and now effortless option. Anything DIY prep foods, organic etc is hugely overpriced here but we grow our own as much as possible.
0 x

Return to “General New Zealand Dicussions”