• Advertisement

NZ made Breezepod Alternative Housing/Shelters

Post general New Zealand discussions here.
gracefromspace

NZ made Breezepod Alternative Housing/Shelters

Postby gracefromspace » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:43 pm

Thought some of you other kiwi's out there may be interested in these. http://www.breezepod.com/

These guys have been around for many years and have a "showhome" centre in Mercer, North Waikato. Well worth looking at if you are interested in alternative permanent shelters, survival off grid, eco homes, as they are deemed suitable for our specific NZ conditions and natural disasters such as earthquakes, hurricanes, cyclones, flooding etc.
Attachments
villascene.jpg
villascene.jpg (39.89 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
cabin.jpg
cabin.jpg (33.97 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
0 x

MrHappyNZ

Re: NZ made Breezepod Alternative Housing/Shelters

Postby MrHappyNZ » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:17 pm

Cool, cheers for that Gracefromspace 8-)
0 x

gracefromspace

Postby gracefromspace » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:01 am

I thought they were pretty cool too MrHappy, could definitely see my family and I living in one quite happily long term :) Warm in winter, cool in summer, earthquake & water proof, and the option to install solar with it really did appeal.
0 x

sixin
New Zealand

Postby sixin » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:34 am

Looks rather interesting. I wonder what the cost would be like?
0 x
SiXiN
Southern Kiwi Prepper

gracefromspace

Postby gracefromspace » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:46 pm

sixin wrote:Looks rather interesting. I wonder what the cost would be like?

I am yet to enquire but would say they are pretty cost effective compared to some other structures I have seen. The low/no maintenance, strength and NZ suitablilty are all very appealing features.
0 x

Gravlore

Postby Gravlore » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:58 pm

Dug this one out of my favorites. Somewhat the same thing.

http://pinktentacle.com/2008/08/styrofoam-dome-homes/

Fiberglass is good but it should be left white in a cold climate that can get warm in the summer. Thermocracking is a real concern, along with post curing. I love the add on features of working with fiberglass. I can simply cut out a wall and build off of it and then seal in the add on with fiberglass. Keep adding as the family grows. Cheap too. We did our roof and walls of a 40X40 ft home for 5K worth of glass and resin. Lots of work but I like it.

You can scuff and paint gelcoat with latex exterior paint if you want. We did and we like it.
0 x

gracefromspace

Postby gracefromspace » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:13 pm

Those look great Gravlore, thank you for the link. Wow, wish people could be a bit more innovative here and design something like them.
0 x

Gravlore

Postby Gravlore » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:18 pm

I built a Fiberglass home here in Canada, but I live in a RM that does not even issue building permits. I LOVE the freedom to explore my creative side of building without some bureaucrat spewing what he/she thinks is in my personal interest. No need for engineer stamps thank God. What a racket that is (other than commercial buildings and multi-story residential).

There may come a day when you need a stamp to erect your tent, knowing our nanny states.
0 x

HeinB

Postby HeinB » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:10 am

Gravlore wrote:I built a Fiberglass home here in Canada, but I live in a RM that does not even issue building permits. I LOVE the freedom to explore my creative side of building without some bureaucrat spewing what he/she thinks is in my personal interest. No need for engineer stamps thank God. What a racket that is (other than commercial buildings and multi-story residential).

There may come a day when you need a stamp to erect your tent, knowing our nanny states.

Amen, nothing worse than the public sector parasites.
0 x

JustABear

Postby JustABear » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:38 am

Unless you actually produce some kind of product..as opposed to making or enforcing rules or storing or shuffling information ... you have to do SOMETHING to justify your existence...LOL
0 x

Return to “General New Zealand Dicussions”