• Advertisement

Doomsday Preppers (Tv series)

Post general New Zealand discussions here.
secoff

Doomsday Preppers (Tv series)

Postby secoff » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:49 am

I've been watching the Doomsday Preppers series on Sky for a few weeks. I've even watched the last Season of it on YouTube.

Some great Ideas, But the series was Too Americanized. Totally Invalid for New Zealand Conditions. It seems many Americans are Concern on Guns, to defend themselves. I think the best one I watched was a Tv documentary called After Armageddon http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1607542/ .

I take the Example of what our Community did is from what happened during the Christchurch Earthquakes, Most of the bad effective areas stuck together and supported each other.
Don't know if that would happen during a Oil crisis (no Oil), or a man-made disaster (war etc). But during our Natural disaster, the city helped each other out, Even before the government and outside Resources stepped in.

Comments on the Doomsday Preppers Series ?????
0 x

gracefromspace

Re: Doomsday Preppers (Tv series)

Postby gracefromspace » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:22 am

I totally agree with you secoff.... much of the series content is far removed from how we would and could handle ourselves here, especially with regards to firearms and weapons, and our local environment does not support many of their ideas.

As a fifty something female, I have been investigating alternative ways to defend and protect myself and property, self defense methods, and some very useful information & techniques to give me confidence and the means to defend myself in a number of situations. I will be practicing these with my husband who has volunteered to be my "assailant" !! Further to this I am given greater confidence by having my pride and joy "security system" in place 24/7 - two very loyal and protective German Shepherds who never leave my side and know when anyone is within at least 2 km of our rural property. :D
0 x

secoff

Postby secoff » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:29 am

Your'e in the same age bracket as me.
Interesting you seemed to have learned to defend yourself etc. I would prefer to try and talk my way out of it and at a last resort, then use force. My wife has other ideas (she being an Ex American).
Good luck to your husband for being an assailant.
0 x

ICRCC

Postby ICRCC » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:47 pm

Two very loyal and protective German Shepherds should do the trick Grace. Probably better than most weapons you could acquire legally or otherwise plus some of the best 14/7 surveillance money can buy. Good move!
0 x

HeinB

Postby HeinB » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:12 pm

I should point out that NZ is one of the easiest places on earth for a 'fit and proper' person with no criminal record to get a firearms licence and buy something like a AR15, we aren't allowed to own firearms for self defense of-course, but there is plenty of good hunting country around your place Grace. Even a little .22 for rabbits, turkeys and target shooting can be great fun.

The doomsday preppers show is really quite interesting, haha, typically I think that anyone more prepared than me is a nutter and anyone less prepared is an idiot, just like when I'm driving and some people are driving faster and slower :lol: :lol:

The thing that gets me about the show is how some people can be super prepared for a 1 in a billion scenario, but not all prepared for events that are far more likely. Other than that, the show has a good mix of different people and it's always good to see their preps and the logic behind them.

Did you guys catch the episode in season 1 where prepper dad shoots his finger off ? Wasn't prepared for that was he ...
0 x

MrHappyNZ

Postby MrHappyNZ » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:18 pm

Like HeinB I enjoyed watching for "perspective", nice to know there’s others out there that make me look sane :)

It was also good to see how others are approaching their preps and we have taken a few ideas and adapted to our use, while others just seemed completely unrealistic at best or else bat sh!t crazy.

Admittedly this could be because its a tv show, but it was interesting to see that all of them were prepping for 'major' events but no one even mentioned simple power outages, weather events, etc. - where having prepps would make life "business as usual" rather than "oh sh!t !!"
0 x

gracefromspace

Postby gracefromspace » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:56 pm

We thought the UK Preppers episode (shame they didn't show a series) to be closer to our way of NZ life and prepping. The british guy living in Slovakia with his family does things pretty similar to the way my husband & I do and the way we live.

Last night we watched the first of the new DDP series and found it a little silly I guess. Perhaps this is how the producers wanted it to come across :? ?
0 x

gracefromspace

Postby gracefromspace » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:09 pm

ICRCC wrote:Two very loyal and protective German Shepherds should do the trick Grace. Probably better than most weapons you could acquire legally or otherwise plus some of the best 14/7 surveillance money can buy. Good move!

Yes ICRCC, their ultimate sense of smell and hearing, looks and barks can sometimes send unexpected visitors into a bit of a sweat. They have never harmed another animal or person, but there is no doubt in my mind that in a dire situation they would defend to the end if it was necessary. They are treasured family members and amazing farm animal protectors, from the cattle, right down to the chickens :D
0 x

secoff

Postby secoff » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:46 pm

We had a German Shepard about 12 months ago. But Unfortunately we had to put Him down due to Old age (he was 16). But he was the best Property protector we had, Better than any Alarms. Even during the Earthquakes, He would Sit beside us. My wife fell on the floor one time during one and i wasn't home. The Dog sat down beside her protecting her until My son came by.
We would get another Big Dog, But my wife decided on a Chihuahua.
0 x

secoff

Postby secoff » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:56 pm

gracefromspace wrote:We thought the UK Preppers episode (shame they didn't show a series) to be closer to our way of NZ life and prepping. The british guy living in Slovakia with his family does things pretty similar to the way my husband & I do and the way we live.

Last night we watched the first of the new DDP series and found it a little silly I guess. Perhaps this is how the producers wanted it to come across :? ?

Yes I thought DDP was a Bit silly as well. The UK one was OK I guess, But more closer to NZ like you said.
In the Doco Drama After Armageddon, Communities went back to the Pre-industrial age to survive, With many of the Skills had to be Relearned again. This Doco-drama is available on You Tube to view.

There is one episode in DDP where one Guy has all the sophisticated Alarms and senses.to Protect him, and I was Thinking. " What happens when the power goes off, All of his would be Useless" There was No mention of a Backup generator.
0 x

Return to “General New Zealand Dicussions”