• Advertisement

In case you missed it, The rubicon has been crossed

Post general discussions here
peppercorn

In case you missed it, The rubicon has been crossed

Postby peppercorn » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:12 am

Who remembers Yeltsin? President of Russia from 91 to 99. He became a joke inside his country while it was being looted, but even more outside. I remember world leaders at events he attended viewing him with amusement. They would smile and pet him on his head, figuratively of course. Neither him or his country were being taken seriously. The look of contempt, and bemusement was behind the smiles of world leaders where ever he went. Sure he could still blow up the world, be we all knew he would rather have another glass of Moldovan wine.

I started seeing the same amused smiles again, first with Angela Merkel when she came to the USA. In many countries out side the USA "real" education is valued, its sought out, worked for. I was reading her biography....She studied Physics, Speaks multiple languages, has a doctorate in Chemistry, and earned awards for her proficiency in mathematics. I think she can size up things in short order. Other world leaders can too.
You must remember she was Chancellor when that great thinker Bush was president. I can only imagine what she thought at the time. Now she understands that was not a anomaly but a trajectory.
Trumps world tour was a stomping on the accelerator of that trajectory. I only hoped for that wrecking ball of a "Mad King" to do internal damage, Now I see the damage going internationally, growing,and getting "allies" to take a good hard look at the USA and what its become, its about time.
The largest prison population in the world, and used as slave labour. The greatest disparity in incomes, the worlds largest arms peddler and consumer of said arms, Life spans that are now shrinking, high drug use, illicite and otherwise. Health care and justice only for those that can afford it.

I believe computing power, both in speed and cumulated capacity, went to the Chinese last year, all leading research in Physics is now done in Europe thanks to the Hadron Collider. Nasa? I remember what it could do...., now its nothing but a brand name...cant even get its own men to the space station, it will soon be paying India to launch its satellites. Medical care? Cuba can beat it in infant Mortality, a rather important metric.
Sure, the USA can still blow up the world, but it looks like even a funny hair cut guy in asia knows the USA would rather pick a pocket, or think up a derivative scam than do something that looks like real work, So is giving the USA the finger.
I can only see one thing keeping this wreck of a ship afloat.....a petro dollar, back stopping a visa without a limit.

I seen the end of this limitless visa card coming but I placed that time likely beyond the life I have left. After Trumps world tour,"the shark has been jumped", events have been accelerated greatly...I now have hope that I will get to see this happen..I have hope that it could be as soon as 10 to 20 years from now, and I may get to enjoy the show....lets hope he takes another world tour to show the American flag. No counties are laughing with you America, from here on in, its at you!
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

Antsy
Netherlands

Re: In case you missed it, The rubicon has been crossed

Postby Antsy » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:15 am

Peppercorn,

For the most part I agree with everything you post. In this case, however, a couple of things jumped out at me as, "Oh no, Peppercorn has drunk the Koolaid!"

First of all, I agree that Chancellor Merkel has been a great leader for both Germany and the EU. She has shown both intelligence and temperance and should be a role model for our shallow puddle of a PM. (I'm also old enough to remember Yeltsin, Gorby, and Chernenko before him)

But, the USA having, "The greatest disparity of incomes..."; really? I just have to ask for a source. The poor and destitute in the USA are orders of magnitude better off than a pauper in Sri Lanka or Bangladesh, or even India. The line just reeks of Koolaid to me. The same has to be said for their health care entitlements vs. the rest of the world. One has to be reminded that the majority of Trump's supporters voted for him in spite of their best interests on these fronts. Can we just say, " the social contract in our country is different than the one in yours" without the sense of superiority? Please don't trust Mike Moore's mockumentary about the quality of Cuba's health care without doing some independent research. While the propaganda makes for good TV, we are all better than that.

There is a lot to dislike about America and Americans in large numbers. You are in good and plentiful company on that score. I try to look at the Americans as Cousins. I see them for all of their imperfections and faults but hey, they are Kin and I am going to stand by them despite their faults. I hope that they will do the same for us but am old enough not to count on it.

Antsy
0 x
Needs must when the devil drives.

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:10 am

Antsy, Im sorry to disappoint you, But.....
I am feeling pretty confident calling this one. No one seen, or maybe I should more correctly say none of the experts who should have been able to see the fragility of the soviet system, called it at the time, but I see every parallel occurring. Every parallel but one, I will state that one later. Its been something like 16 years of the USA stomping its foot everywhere across the globe, wave after wave of displaced people have been driven through the borders of countries that had been "allied" with the USA.
In those countries the youth who have grown up in this time, who may be in there thirties or so now are very much aware of what country has caused this, new faces are coming up such as in France, but even old faces such as Merkel see the writing on the wall. She has a election coming up this fall so I don't expect new policy or direction until after that, but change is coming, you can sense the exhaustion people have With the USA, The building contempt, and its not just because all they bring is war. The Philippine leader who started telling the USA where to go last year has turned down his rhetoric lately , but his policies are all towards better engagement with China, and less with the USA. Allies have rushed and I do mean rushed, even in the face of US objections, to join the AIIB. I sense as much to get away from the control the USA has over the World bank, and the IMF, as for the business prospects.
At this point in time Nations looking at the USA as a trading partner, must see little more than a nation of debt slaves with little room for growth. Let them tear up trade deals, they will never get as good terms again, this isn't 1986.
In fact encourage them to withdraw and keep their noses out of international agreements, they have become nothing but obstructionist to progress anyway.
Antsy it cant have been missed by you the increasing theocracy that has imbedded itself into every crevasse of American politics, you must have seen it growing since the 80s as I have....You know the implications as does every thinking person (out side the USA).
These enemies of reason, science and progress have been and are continuing to placed with accelerated zeal, by this new administration into controlling positions precisely where they can effect the greatest lasting damage. Soon The Flint Stones with be taught as a historically accurate depiction of History in American schools. I don't want this in my country!
Koolaid?? if your implying my direction of thought is not my own, I assure it is, though is late in coming around. Mine is independent of convention, and its stunningly conventional thinking, not just in my country but others to be uncritical of US policy and that's precisely the problem, Reticence in critiquing them, lowers the bar for us, and that's not good for us..
As to data the googler will pull up all kinds of grouping of wealth and income inequality as measured by the GINI coefficient.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gini_coefficient
The very index recognized by the CIA and used by them in accessing other countrys "banana republic" status.
Depending which grouping of countries are included the USA is either number one or in the top 3 of the countries listed. The googler will find them for you, such as this one. http://inequality.stanford.edu/sites/de ... lity-3.pdf
Oh, and Michel Moor....never seen a single movie of his, not a fan of fiction, or manipulation.
0 x

Antsy
Netherlands

Postby Antsy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:41 pm

Peppercorn,

I hear what you're saying however I'm just not ready to start writing an obit' for the USA quite yet. I will grant that the political culture of the country has been in decline for twenty to thirty years and appears to be in free fall. Thankfully, the country is much more than the sum of its' political sphere or the mass culture produced for the world's consumption. Consider; the US continues to top the list for scientific contribution and for the publication of scientific peer reviewed paper. http://www.openaccessweek.org/profiles/ ... fic-output

How is the US doing with respect to foreign aid?

"The US, unsurprisingly, comes top when looking at total spend. Last year, it gave over $30 billion either as bilateral aid or through international organizations such as the World Bank or UN. Germany is second, with over $20 billion of ODA last year. This constitutes an increase of over $4 billion compared to 2014. The list is dominated by European nations, but the UAE, Canada and Japan also feature." From the World Economic Forum and published in Aug 2016.

How about Foreign Direct Investment? You guessed it; the US tops the list with a full 10% of the World's investment. http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/BX.KLT.DINV.CD.WD

Income inequality? The US is not perfect. Their GINI score rates somewhere between 45 - 50. Canada's by contrast is 25 - 30. I have to say though that I think it is a matter of the country's DNA. A country of dreamers and entrepreneurs who pursue the "dream" of extraordinary success. A country based on a meritocracy will hardly be expected to be a worker's paradise.

So while the side show of American Politics is hard to watch (and hard not to), the people continue to thrive, invest, and provide aide to a world that revels in being unappreciative.

My opinion.

A.
0 x
Needs must when the devil drives.

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:25 am

Antsy, sadly I must disappoint you even more....
My opinion in matters of nation states and donations, contributions whatever name you wish to use, and third party management through, world bank, IMF, whatever organization given, sets of my BS detector. I believe that any funds given are only done after negotiations are reached by the contributing countries with understandings that the aid given will be used by the recipient countries in contracting out activities to companies from or allied with the donor nations..in other words ...entirely self serving...and of course at every step of the way, enablers, negotiators, smoothers, couriers, approvers, and associated hangers on, take a slice of the action...Its one big slush trough for money laundering, and yes I agree with you that the USA is the largest participant! (imo)
I don't agree with you that "through it all People continue to thrive" as you say....not in the aggregate, yes Some. I have seen great prosperity in the USA...for some. Largely I see debt slaves.... I know Americans personally, both those of great means, but far more getting the short end of the stick.
and its rough on the short end.....we have it very good by comparison.
I am familiar with the phrase "publish or die" in academia....true there is a lot published, the quality of whats now published is suspect in my mind, again imo. I look to things like engineering degrees.....who is now leading? well China doesn't publish such numbers but it now is without a doubt in first place, I think India is second, and last time I looked Russia with half the population of the USA is graduating nearly twice the numbers of the USA.
But here is a thought, even with the numbers graduated in the USA, why would a graduate stay? what really is his future? Maybe civil engineering where he can design one toll road after another in the USA.., or maybe work on a border fence..if it gets funding..or does he look to work in nations where he can design the newest high speed rail? or http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2017053 ... ering-feat
What would you do being young, educated, and ambitious? Antsy it is stunning clear there are no funds for anything other than the military/ security complex, its well over half the budget and consuming ever larger amounts of fiat currency....this isn't going to end well. This is a country so bankrupt morally and financially that ketchup can be classified as vegetable in a school lunch program to save money.
This is the take the money and run stage of empire....its been going on for a long time....I think most anyone looking in from the outside can see this.
By the time Trump leaves office, the silverware will have been pawned, there wont even be copper plumbing in the white house, he will have ripped it out, maybe the wiring too, though that might be to much work for him, so the wiring might still be there for Chelsea to get in 2020. Lets hope copper prices are higher for her.

Let me make a few predictions that we should see if I am right......I would expect to see things like fewer foreign students coming to the USA over time and more to other countries, though this may take a few years to observe. Increasingly Nation states trying to get away from trade in US dollars.
Increasing reluctance to include the USA in International agreements, maybe even seeing other nations out right seeking to exclude the USA from international agreements.
Maybe the unraveling of sanctions against Russia as other countries say to hell with the USA.
A general refusal to go along with proposals from the USA. In fact regarding things like nafta and other trade agreements why would we even negotiate with this administration, play rope a dope with the Americans and let the clock run out, he is gone in 3.5 years, maybe if its to our advantage negotiate then...I am sure other countries are thinking the same way.
Here is where it gets dangerous...as the USA dollar is being shed by friend and foe alike, most of those who could be outright bombed, the killable people ( non Christian, darker complexion) if you will, have already been done....it may not be marketable to just start bombing France or Germany, so I would expect to see the USA try to draw in other countries into a war, maybe against Syria, Iran, Russia (likely through Ukraine, or Belarus), to keep their dollar and nation relevant.
These are my thoughts Antsy, what do you expect to see, over time of course, if you are right? We can let time be the arbitrator.....hindsight our friend.
I never called the obit for the USA, only what I believe will be called the beginning of the end for USA relevance in the world by future historians. The USA still has incredible embedded wealth, I am only saying its cannibalizing itself, and the trajectory is non recoverable at this point....when the end comes I do not know...but I know its been advanced greatly by the election of Trump. I should add, Trump is not responsible for this, The trajectory or how it ends...American citizens are, every last one of them, every single one I know or have known takes no responsibility for anything...its always the other parties fault, if not the right, its the left, if not up, its down, if not foreign nations, its foreigners. They are bred for the conditioned response to look everywhere but the mirror, and at the system, they would have to change both to pull up out of this nose dive and I don't see that happening....
Last edited by peppercorn on Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:22 am

Well as Trump returns from his second international event, American prestige swirls round the bowl in ever tighter circles. Antsy I am of course just a un lettered, country rube so I expect my thoughts to carry little weight with anyone, and that's fine, but from this reporter I can see my thoughts are shared...It is a rather frank assessment....It just came out today....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l-jvYcS0KQ
(2 minutes long, work safe)

For future historians, the first clear sign of decline is The trickle down stage, known to the proles as the "please pee on me rich man" so I can get warm, followed by the " job creator stage" known to the proles as "Please take whatever you want just don't block out all the sun rich man"Stage. then comes the take the money and run stage, but of course there is no running anywhere for those with out money, standing wet in the dark!

There is also a reoccurring supportive stage to the above 3 stages its called the "we can finance this " stage(s)...
and I almost forgot, there is a high security stage this stage always runs parallel with the "take the money and run stage", much as we see now...

So I quess 5 stages overall.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:59 am

This came out yesterday. Its a long read, drifts off topic at points but concludes with the assessment I am reaching,.

if you don't feel like reading the whole thing this excerpt somes it up...

If you read that transcript closely, you can see the waning of U.S. power along the Pacific littoral. Donald Trump is calling up, he’s got a fellow demagogue in the person of Rodrigo Duterte, the president of the Philippines, who has killed about 8000 people in his so-called drug war— people blown away, bodies dumped in the streets of Manila and Cebu and elsewhere in the country, and he’s calling up and congratulating him and trying to bond with him, you know, autocrat to autocrat. And then Trump shifts the conversation and says, “Well, we got this problem in Korea. Kim Jong Un is unreliable.” And Duterte says, “I’m going to call China, I’ll talk to Xi Jinping about that.” And Trump says, “We’ve got some very powerful submarines, which we’re going to have in the area.” And Duterte says, “Yeah, I’m going to call,” he says, “Yeah, I’m gonna call Xi Jinping about that. I’ll be talking to China.”

And it’s clear that Trump is trying to court the man, trying to impress him with U.S. strength, and every time Trump tries to do it, Duterte responds, “I will call China.” It’s a clear indication of China’s rising power

https://theintercept.com/2017/07/22/don ... an-empire/
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:26 pm

So it begins...Here is a example I would expect to see...Russia shedding the US dollar as a settling currency for international trade...
https://www.yahoo.com/news/russia-aims- ... 08762.html
And by extension I quess its oil will soon be traded in "other" than US dollars.....This wont go over well with the mericans
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:50 pm

And so it goes.

http://www.truthdig.com/articles/trump- ... -military/

I have seen this going on since Regan, but the effects are now being felt. It takes decades to decapitate a nations science and research capabilities...sort of like its manufacturing ability....there is no turning back...I thought it was non recoverable in the early 2000 period, now im just more certain of it.

Im sure no one will notice, a permanent war time economy is a good distraction, and of course if its all you got, its what you lead with.
0 x

Odin Gray
Canada

Postby Odin Gray » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:56 pm

Nice peppercorn/Antsy dialogue!

Agreeing mostly with peppercorn, we are witnessing the contraction (possible death throws) of a brief empire. Wether it takes 2 minutes or 2 decades is any ones guess.

In regards to Germany: Tante Merkel, although educated, is a puppet who has enabled the ongoing ,Merkin colonization of western Europe .

In regards to Trump: his greatest accomplishment to date IMO, is exposing the corruptness of ,Merkin politics and its hidden power structure.

Question is, How do you prep for this?
0 x

Return to “General Discussions”