• Advertisement

Ammo Shortage

Post general discussions here
techman

Re: Ammo Shortage

Postby techman » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:58 pm

The shortage isn't over. They are saying there will be no or little chance of getting 22lr and some other calibres by the end of the year. This was told to my gun store from Winchester.
0 x

MrsPrepwPets

Postby MrsPrepwPets » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:58 pm

techman wrote:The shortage isn't over. They are saying there will be no or little chance of getting 22lr and some other calibres by the end of the year. This was told to my gun store from Winchester.

You don't have a flag and your profile doesn't say where you're from, so I have to ask:
Which Winchester? And which store, should it be Winchester, VA or Tenn.?
Academy Sports has .22LR at $3-6 by specialty and type right now, for their online sales as well as on-site, two box limit for each specific brand and weight. That's the lower end I've seen lately, right at $0.05 per round, unless you're in a position to fork over $200+.

We've also seen .223 and .308 go back down to pre-run or nearly pre-run prices for ball ammo and hunting points, with more availability in stores although some want the moon for them still and thus good-priced stores still have more limited variety.

Last I was told (Rednex, VA; some random suits at the MD Beretta press conference), since the runs have slacked off some and there's not as much panic, we're seeing some of the prices drop and a lot more variety in ammo that is available because they've been able to turn back to producing things that aren't the main four, to include the .22s that represent lower profit margins per round.
On the other hand, there's apparently increasing grabs on non-NATO non-North Amer caliber new and surplus ammo because of increasing fears about further import shutdowns or overseas laws (several small-scale gun-pawn and gun stores in MD, KY & VA seem to agree there's an increase in sales of the less expensive non-NATO caliber guns and increasing conversation about where to find rounds for them).
0 x

RachelM
Canada

Postby RachelM » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:52 am

While I've heard from many people of the .22shortage, I seem to be having no problem getting .22lr, as I love target shooting it. Bricks of 500, 333, bucket o' bullets and such. Canadian Tire has it, my local gun club always has tons. A 500 rd brick with about $50 with taxes at my club.

I also shoot 7.62x39, 30-06 and 12 ga, and have very few problems finding ammo. Of course, 30-06 is pricey to target shoot, so I'm going to start reloading it.
0 x

jonesy

Postby jonesy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:04 pm

Where are you, RachelM?

Not the case here...
0 x
One is none, two is one.

RachelM
Canada

Postby RachelM » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:52 am

Niagara Region. I've only had one store owner tell me about such shortage, and he's (I think) an American, or based across the border. And he's always out of everything else, it seems ;) I often buy my ammo at Silverdale Gun Range, where I shoot. They have no problem getting tonnes of the stuff, or so it seems. They even have a few different types, which we've been trying out (Our old .22lr Speedmaster is incredibly finicky)
I have heard about the shortage out West. Heck, I crossed the border a few weeks ago, and they were asking $100+ for 500 rounds, over double what I currently pay.
0 x

jonesy

Postby jonesy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:32 am

Saw no .22 last time I drove across the border. Anything of the large calibers was there, but not a deal. Cheaper in Canada, and no US export permit required.

On the island, when it comes it disappears off the shelf quickly. Was at Cabela's for the employee day pre-opening, and got some of the (guessing) 60,000 + rounds on display. Came back a few days after it officially opened for another brick and only .22 shorts were left.
0 x
One is none, two is one.

alpha1
Canada

Postby alpha1 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:07 am

hello here in canada they want us all to register our fire arms especially in Quebec,, thus if you want to buy a fire arm you have the full paper work ahead of you just to buy and then register more and more money for the govs .. thing is if something happens and if they instaure martial law they have your name adresse and know exactly the weapons you own so they can come at your door and seize all... do criminals register their weapons .... what about the millions of weapons sold on the black market...we preppers are not criminals we believe in justice, freedom and the right to defend our lives our families , our homes and survival equipment . and like I say our governments are playing Russian roulette with each other some others watching who will pull the triger first , it takes only one Nobel prize winner as i call them to push a button and all hell will brakes loose . the us, china, Russia, north Korea, Isis and others who will it be. I rather be prepared than sorry mi gear is not registered and wont be . I just dont have any confidence in our governments thanks mike
0 x

alpha1
Canada

Postby alpha1 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:13 am

I work as a millwright mechanic in a recycling facility and have just found 850 rounds of .22 long riffle ammo in their boxes like new not to mention all the other stuff people trow away that is a preppers dream,, to date I found 2 x .22 rifles, hunting knives, black powder, scopes , compas l.e.d lights, solar panels that work great not a scratch, bundles of para cord, axes and lots more . like they say ''ONE MANS JUNK, ANOTHER MANS TREASURE''
0 x

Return to “General Discussions”