• Advertisement

What are YOU prepping for???

Post general discussions here
Antsy
Netherlands

Re: What are YOU prepping for???

Postby Antsy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:33 pm

I spend the majority of my time preparing for old age and retirement. Sure, I have taken care of the easy preps such as a stocked pantry, a small generator and gas stores, a small cash stash for the unforeseeable, and the like. What I think is most likely though, is that I am going to get older and at some point either won't want to, or be able to work. So I am working hard today with an eye to the future. I am a runner and work out in a home gym a few times a week because I enjoy the health benefits today and know that they carry on into the future. You may not think of this as a "prep" but I do. I also keep abreast of the news (as most of you do) and vote when allowed. Statistically, many on this site don't vote and I think it is a serious oversight as a prepper and as a citizen.

I am aware of most of the high impact / low probability threats that some of us prep for. When it fits into the above goals, I consider how I can work some preparations into my plan. So I won't be building a bomb shelter... but may consider a root cellar. I won't buy a years worth of Thrive, but have started a small garden and keep the pantry stocked. I'm also trying hard to pay off my debt so that I have the flexibility to deal with whatever the world throws at us.

Antsy
0 x
Needs must when the devil drives.

Singlecell

Postby Singlecell » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:05 pm

Antsy wrote:I spend the majority of my time preparing for old age and retirement. Sure, I have taken care of the easy preps such as a stocked pantry, a small generator and gas stores, a small cash stash for the unforeseeable, and the like. What I think is most likely though, is that I am going to get older and at some point either won't want to, or be able to work. So I am working hard today with an eye to the future. I am a runner and work out in a home gym a few times a week because I enjoy the health benefits today and know that they carry on into the future. You may not think of this as a "prep" but I do. I also keep abreast of the news (as most of you do) and vote when allowed. Statistically, many on this site don't vote and I think it is a serious oversight as a prepper and as a citizen.

I am aware of most of the high impact / low probability threats that some of us prep for. When it fits into the above goals, I consider how I can work some preparations into my plan. So I won't be building a bomb shelter... but may consider a root cellar. I won't buy a years worth of Thrive, but have started a small garden and keep the pantry stocked. I'm also trying hard to pay off my debt so that I have the flexibility to deal with whatever the world throws at us.

Antsy

Man, this is actually the chief foundation prep that everyone seems to ignore. You got these dudes who you can tell have never went for a run, never lifted weights or did pushups their whole lives and they think theyre gonna carry a 50 pound back... I ask, how far?? I myself trained for all around strength and conditioning for ten years before I got into prepping. Not to mention the positive benefits of physical conditioning, spiritually and mentally. These methods you mentioned are rational prepping ideas. Good meditations to keep yourself busy. Also good if you plan on educating future generations.
0 x

Singlecell

Postby Singlecell » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:16 pm

cernunnos5 wrote:
Singlecell wrote:
cernunnos5 wrote:Oh. I'm not afraid of much. Ive been alittle too close to death for too many years to not stare it in the face too many times. That said, I realised recently, that I am only a few years from 50. I will pass soon enough. I must confront the age old questions. What happens when I die. My preps cant save me from this. dieing in my sleep is a fantacy. I fear losing my health, losing my partner and dyeing alone. examining my life and thinking it was not worth living. The same existential questions we must all ask ourselves. I always tell people to live a decent life before bothering with being the ultimate survivor because that's a losing game.

As for the real question you are asking, I think you on the right path. Economic collapse is the disaster at hand. The demographic bubble about to burst. Catastrophic climate change. War and the retards that think its cool. Political solutions (enough said). The collapse of roadways.(no one talks about that). Resource and energy shortages. A generation of people that don't have the most basic skills to save their lives. Mass homelessness (including myself). A people enslaved to dept. A people enslaved to corporations. A people self enslaved to hockey games. Bread and circuses. The alberta oilfields from coast to coast. My ground water becoming polluted. The first world becoming the third world (classist Karma). Losing controle of the nuclear plants in any kind of disaster because that is an extinction level event. Political extremists that are absolutely convinced they have the answer and know who to blame to avoid personal responsibility. The age old scapegoating. Humans seem to destroy anything they touch. The inability to roll with the punches. :ugeek:

I'll admit you almost had me. I almost believed you. You're a smart, seemingly educated person, but your post smacks of hopeless apathy and despair in the face of a world of troubles. I don't understand why you rip into activists for assuming they know how to fix the world and at the same time, claim they're avoiding responsibility. They are being responsible. That's why they're activists.

What would you have them do, go to work and complain no one's doing anything about these issues?

Now if you want to talk about the strategy's most activists use, which most of the time are piss-poor and do little to enhance their cause, in fact most of the time do nothing but tarnish the cause, I'm all with you on that one.

Well, I will admit it was a bit of a downer post. What can I say. I was drinking that night :roll:

Here is my humorous response from a truly depressing fellow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWh-J_mvYSE

Here is the serious response. I find her grossly optimistic on what we can accomplish. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Of-3VontE

Most of us are preparing for a economic collapse or super storms...But that is only the disaster at hand. The really big ones come after and I am not convinced that they are not extinction level events

I'm glad you didn't take my post as an attack, I feared I was being rash. I was kinda concerned actually. Glad to hear you were drunk. Hey, I get that way too sometimes. To put it in perspective, you're not even 50 dude. Plenty of time to study, learn and prepare. If extinction level events occur, so be it.
0 x

Singlecell

Postby Singlecell » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:34 pm

Girlcancan wrote:I'm prepping for a train derailment bug out/bug in - There is a train line that runs behind my house in the valley.
A possible pandemic bug-in situation - Isolation Isolation ISOLATION
Electrical outage- brrr and all the hotels are booked up...
Snowed in scenario - Can't go anywhere because I can't get out my front driveway! Get a bigger dog to pull a sled? Snow shoes? crosscountry skies?

A train derailment eh? That's great, I was wondering who would chime in with some local and specific reason to prep. There have been a huge amount of train derailments of late and this is a serious concern. Have you ever researched what kind of material is being shipped?

A pandemic would be a nightmare where I'm from. Damn, that would be a sure as hell reason to bug out to the woods, I can't think of too many reasons to totally separate from civilization, but that is one. I remember H1N1 I came down with a pretty bad sickness(couldn't really stay awake I was so weak) Went to the doctors, they gave me a mask to wear for their protection.

And I have had the power go out on one of the coldest days of the year, like hundreds of thousands of people without power. Heh... and the landlord wondered why the gas bill was so high at the end of the month. We all had to huddle in the kitchen and crank the stove. Dangerous, but what would happen if we didn't have the gas stove. Panic I'll assume.
0 x

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:23 pm

Singlecell wrote:
I'm glad you didn't take my post as an attack, I feared I was being rash. I was kinda concerned actually. Glad to hear you were drunk. Hey, I get that way too sometimes. To put it in perspective, you're not even 50 dude. Plenty of time to study, learn and prepare. If extinction level events occur, so be it.

Ah, you'd be surprised. Prepping has been one of the central tenets of my life since age 10. For the last 3-4 its been a full time gig. Not too much more to do. Ill put in a solar water heater next spring and a front gate...but I am pretty much done to the best of my abilities. Ive talked with Mrs C5 about it and we have decided to take a few years off prepping (not that life would look too different. The path is pretty much set and must be walked) We may not even put in much of a garden next year as we hope to travel a bit in the spring. Just continue building and multching the soil. Wile the world is still chugging along, its time to go out and have a life outside of prepping for a wile. See some places, listen to some bands, get a new hobby. Its actually a success story. We cant get much further along. The rest is up to luck.
0 x
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

Singlecell

Postby Singlecell » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:11 pm

cernunnos5 wrote:
Singlecell wrote:

Ah, you'd be surprised. Prepping has been one of the central tenets of my life since age 10. For the last 3-4 its been a full time gig. Not too much more to do. Ill put in a solar water heater next spring and a front gate...but I am pretty much done to the best of my abilities. Ive talked with Mrs C5 about it and we have decided to take a few years off prepping (not that life would look too different. The path is pretty much set and must be walked) We may not even put in much of a garden next year as we hope to travel a bit in the spring. Just continue building and multching the soil. Wile the world is still chugging along, its time to go out and have a life outside of prepping for a wile. See some places, listen to some bands, get a new hobby. Its actually a success story. We cant get much further along. The rest is up to luck.

Might just as well. I honestly started prepping in August, with the intent of turning it into an adventuring hobby of a kind. Whats the point of anything if you can't have fun, right?
0 x

northrod5

Postby northrod5 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:58 am

my Wife works For The Real Canadian SuperStore. She works in the meat department. 4 times yearly the employees are gathered for a meeting. In this meeting the discuss the eventuality of highway closure due to flood or landslide/ snowslide/ earthquake. They are informed that if any of these natural disasters happens, deliveries of meat and produce, will be interrupted. re-supply will take one day plus the length of time that the roads or rails are impassable. That could be 2 days or even a week or more. They are told that under normal conditions, if the daily truck that delivers the meat and chicken is interrupted, the meat department will completely sell out in 7 hours or less. No resupply for at least 24 hours. If the public becomes aware of the interruption, the store will sell out in approximately 4 hours or less. This situation holds true for EVERY GROCERY STORE. Costco holds the identical same meetings. The employees are told that if the natural disaster is anticipated to be longer than 24 hours, they should go home and wait for a call back to work.
Power outages cause the same scenario. Collapse of the banking system causes the same scenario. Employees are encouraged to have enough food at home to cover their family for an EXTENDED EVENT. They are also encouraged to have extra fuel on hand, fuel truck use the same roads as Semi's carrying food and produce.
Each year the company encourages employees to invest 5% of their gross into Company shares. the company gives them one share for every two they buy. good deal. 50% on your investment overnight. What is significant however is that each year, EVERY, year for the past 11 years, those shares have risen in value more than 17 percent PER YEAR!!!!. That mean that in order to pay out a 17% plus dividend, the company had to earn (MORE THAN 17 PERCENT). How is this done you ask??? every year, year over year, you, the consumer, are paying MORE THAN A 17 PERCENT INCREASE ON THE FOOD YOU BUY. We would like to thank all of you for doing this. This allows us to buy an extra 67% more food than you can, each and every year. You leave your money in the bank, you get maybe 2% interest. the interest is taxed. We buy food, It goes up in value by at least 17 % per year. And to top it all off we get a 10 percent discount. Money in the bank does nothing for you. It is being eaten by inflation, and do not believe the bull that is reported as annual inflation rates. Go buy 100 dollars worth of food today, keep the receipt for one year. go to the same store, and buy the same list of products a second time...SURPRISE!! YOU NEED $120 OR MORE to pay for it. Each year, year over year. after only 4 years you pay $200 for the same basket of food that you bought 4 years ago. Tip: invest in Loblaws Stocks :))
0 x

Perfesser
Canada

Postby Perfesser » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:18 am

Tip: invest in Loblaws Stocks

Invest in farmland and yourself.
0 x

livingpower

Postby livingpower » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:37 pm

cernunnos5 wrote:Ah, you'd be surprised. Prepping has been one of the central tenets of my life since age 10. For the last 3-4 its been a full time gig. Not too much more to do. Ill put in a solar water heater next spring and a front gate...but I am pretty much done to the best of my abilities. Ive talked with Mrs C5 about it and we have decided to take a few years off prepping (not that life would look too different. The path is pretty much set and must be walked) We may not even put in much of a garden next year as we hope to travel a bit in the spring. Just continue building and multching the soil. Wile the world is still chugging along, its time to go out and have a life outside of prepping for a wile. See some places, listen to some bands, get a new hobby. Its actually a success story. We cant get much further along. The rest is up to luck.

Nice. My girls are young, 9 and 11, and I want to teach them the skills they will need, etc. But I also want to teach them to strike a balance between being prepared and living in today, enjoying what we have now that we might not have in the future. That way, when they are 40-something, they won't feel all they've done their whole lives is prep LOL. I am learning to bring balance into my own life, something I have struggled with, and this is definitely one area in which I need it. Doing OK with it, too! :-)
0 x

northrod5

Postby northrod5 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:02 am

Perfesser wrote:
Tip: invest in Loblaws Stocks

Invest in farmland and yourself.

I have farmland, We are liquidating stocks etc. to prep, bought a backhoe, bury the preps. Dig remote shelter.
0 x

Return to “General Discussions”