• Advertisement

What are YOU prepping for???

Post general discussions here
Singlecell

What are YOU prepping for???

Postby Singlecell » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:36 pm

This has probably already been done... But I want to see what people are afraid of... What are YOU prepping for?

Make a list of the TOP FIVE things you are prepping for. Feel free to simplify, generalize or elaborate what each of them are, but BE PREPARED to explain WHY they are on your list.

I think this will put us all on the level. I've been seeing a lot of threads with people freaking out over lack of prepping without knowing WHY they are prepping. I think it's important to know. Here's my reasons.

1)Economic collapse- With globalization completely undoing whatever was strong about the North American Economy, it's only gonna get worse, as health and safety standards drop, jobs are shipped out, and our natural resources are being sold out at such a rate that the benefits won't even last more then a generation from now.

2)WW3- With Israel interfering via airstrike in Russian business and military transactions, they are now directly provoking Russia, even though Syria has met all of the UN requirements on time. As the USA is Israel's most closest ally, as well as being the worlds chief imperial power they're bound to get involved, ah hell, I could basically go on about this but if anyone's been paying attention lately, they'd know this whole situation is getting real bad. This could equate to service(water, power, satellite, agriculture, shipping and receiving shortwave radio communication, economic output) interruption of all kind, occupation and possibly even nuclear warfare(although unlikely since superior non-nuclear destruction has been developed. Example, vacuum bomb, EMP).

3)Famine/drought by Global Warming/Corporate Fallout- Where I come from, corn crops are already being spoiled. In 2012 the UN reported that global food storage was down to the lowest it's been in 40 years. If it's not gonna happen in the next decade, it will EVENTUALLY happen this century, so best prepare your children and teach them the important values quickly being forgotten. That being said, as MONSANTO is quickly taking over the global food industry, creating things such as terminator seeds, patenting every species in agriculture, putting individual farmers out of business and in debt and suing everyone who even accidentally grows their seeds, we are slowly but surely losing the power, legal right, ability and ultimately the knowledge to grow our own food.

4)Natural disaster- This summer was a wake-up call for Canada. With the Calgary flood dominating the headlines in June costing Alberta $6 billion, and merely two weeks later Toronto getting the most rain since the 1950's, costing us $60 million, it is clear Canada's infrastructure, although prepared to deal with Northern Climate, is vastly unprepared to deal with other types of natural disaster's.

5)Power grid failure- This is self explanatory, almost. Nothing is perfect. It's happened quite a few times, for multiple reasons. Check out the North East blackout of 2003, or the North American Ice Storm of 1998. Great examples. Prepping would've come in handy plenty of times here.

So... what are your concerns? A lot of people talking and arguing over being on the same level in regards to prepping. One problem with that is figuring out if were prepping for the same things. Lets get on the level and synchronize our fears.
0 x

cernunnos5

Re: What are YOU prepping for???

Postby cernunnos5 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:59 pm

Oh. I'm not afraid of much. Ive been alittle too close to death for too many years to not stare it in the face too many times. That said, I realised recently, that I am only a few years from 50. I will pass soon enough. I must confront the age old questions. What happens when I die. My preps cant save me from this. dieing in my sleep is a fantacy. I fear losing my health, losing my partner and dyeing alone. examining my life and thinking it was not worth living. The same existential questions we must all ask ourselves. I always tell people to live a decent life before bothering with being the ultimate survivor because that's a losing game.

As for the real question you are asking, I think you on the right path. Economic collapse is the disaster at hand. The demographic bubble about to burst. Catastrophic climate change. War and the retards that think its cool. Political solutions (enough said). The collapse of roadways.(no one talks about that). Resource and energy shortages. A generation of people that don't have the most basic skills to save their lives. Mass homelessness (including myself). A people enslaved to dept. A people enslaved to corporations. A people self enslaved to hockey games. Bread and circuses. The alberta oilfields from coast to coast. My ground water becoming polluted. The first world becoming the third world (classist Karma). Losing controle of the nuclear plants in any kind of disaster because that is an extinction level event. Political extremists that are absolutely convinced they have the answer and know who to blame to avoid personal responsibility. The age old scapegoating. Humans seem to destroy anything they touch. The inability to roll with the punches. :ugeek:
1 x
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

Syn

Postby Syn » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:49 pm

I am a complete worry wort , I am concerned about all those concerns and will add the loss of health to disease by increasingly unhealthy lifestyles, toxins, GMO's , lack of antibiotics , pandemics, radiation ...

Number one fear for all subsequent generations of life , including my own children , is nuclear radiation , second is climate change ramnifications like ocean acidification, ocean anoxia and ocean current failures, biomass failure to adapt , mass refugee migration linked also to overpopulation and dwindling resources . I truly think we will see further horrific desperate actions undertaken by humans as a result of these underlying drivers . I think I am on a page off by myself with my level of concern because I truly think it is bigger and closer and more devastating than is generally recognized .
0 x

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:09 am

Syn wrote:Number one fear for all subsequent generations of life , including my own children , is nuclear radiation , second is climate change ramnifications like ocean acidification, ocean anoxia and ocean current failures, biomass failure to adapt , mass refugee migration linked also to overpopulation and dwindling resources . I truly think we will see further horrific desperate actions undertaken by humans as a result of these underlying drivers . I think I am on a page off by myself with my level of concern because I truly think it is bigger and closer and more devastating than is generally recognized .

DITTO
0 x

Singlecell

Postby Singlecell » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:00 pm

cernunnos5 wrote:Oh. I'm not afraid of much. Ive been alittle too close to death for too many years to not stare it in the face too many times. That said, I realised recently, that I am only a few years from 50. I will pass soon enough. I must confront the age old questions. What happens when I die. My preps cant save me from this. dieing in my sleep is a fantacy. I fear losing my health, losing my partner and dyeing alone. examining my life and thinking it was not worth living. The same existential questions we must all ask ourselves. I always tell people to live a decent life before bothering with being the ultimate survivor because that's a losing game.

As for the real question you are asking, I think you on the right path. Economic collapse is the disaster at hand. The demographic bubble about to burst. Catastrophic climate change. War and the retards that think its cool. Political solutions (enough said). The collapse of roadways.(no one talks about that). Resource and energy shortages. A generation of people that don't have the most basic skills to save their lives. Mass homelessness (including myself). A people enslaved to dept. A people enslaved to corporations. A people self enslaved to hockey games. Bread and circuses. The alberta oilfields from coast to coast. My ground water becoming polluted. The first world becoming the third world (classist Karma). Losing controle of the nuclear plants in any kind of disaster because that is an extinction level event. Political extremists that are absolutely convinced they have the answer and know who to blame to avoid personal responsibility. The age old scapegoating. Humans seem to destroy anything they touch. The inability to roll with the punches. :ugeek:

I'll admit you almost had me. I almost believed you. You're a smart, seemingly educated person, but your post smacks of hopeless apathy and despair in the face of a world of troubles. I don't understand why you rip into activists for assuming they know how to fix the world and at the same time, claim they're avoiding responsibility. They are being responsible. That's why they're activists.

What would you have them do, go to work and complain no one's doing anything about these issues?

Now if you want to talk about the strategy's most activists use, which most of the time are piss-poor and do little to enhance their cause, in fact most of the time do nothing but tarnish the cause, I'm all with you on that one.
0 x

Singlecell

Postby Singlecell » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:15 pm

Syn wrote:I am a complete worry wort , I am concerned about all those concerns and will add the loss of health to disease by increasingly unhealthy lifestyles, toxins, GMO's , lack of antibiotics , pandemics, radiation ...

Number one fear for all subsequent generations of life , including my own children , is nuclear radiation , second is climate change ramnifications like ocean acidification, ocean anoxia and ocean current failures, biomass failure to adapt , mass refugee migration linked also to overpopulation and dwindling resources . I truly think we will see further horrific desperate actions undertaken by humans as a result of these underlying drivers . I think I am on a page off by myself with my level of concern because I truly think it is bigger and closer and more devastating than is generally recognized .

Yeah, true that, I'm the same. I've pretty much made a habit out of it.
0 x

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:20 pm

Singlecell wrote:
cernunnos5 wrote:Oh. I'm not afraid of much. Ive been alittle too close to death for too many years to not stare it in the face too many times. That said, I realised recently, that I am only a few years from 50. I will pass soon enough. I must confront the age old questions. What happens when I die. My preps cant save me from this. dieing in my sleep is a fantacy. I fear losing my health, losing my partner and dyeing alone. examining my life and thinking it was not worth living. The same existential questions we must all ask ourselves. I always tell people to live a decent life before bothering with being the ultimate survivor because that's a losing game.

I'll admit you almost had me. I almost believed you. You're a smart, seemingly educated person, but your post smacks of hopeless apathy and despair in the face of a world of troubles. I don't understand why you rip into activists for assuming they know how to fix the world and at the same time, claim they're avoiding responsibility. They are being responsible. That's why they're activists.

What would you have them do, go to work and complain no one's doing anything about these issues?

Now if you want to talk about the strategy's most activists use, which most of the time are piss-poor and do little to enhance their cause, in fact most of the time do nothing but tarnish the cause, I'm all with you on that one.

Well, I will admit it was a bit of a downer post. What can I say. I was drinking that night :roll:

Here is my humorous response from a truly depressing fellow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWh-J_mvYSE

Here is the serious response. I find her grossly optimistic on what we can accomplish. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Of-3VontE

Most of us are preparing for a economic collapse or super storms...But that is only the disaster at hand. The really big ones come after and I am not convinced that they are not extinction level events
0 x

Syn

Postby Syn » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:44 pm

cernunnos5 have you been following Guy McPherson and his blog at Nature Bats Last ? Thank you so much for posting Helens latest video , it shook me to the very core .
I do believe Derrick is an intelligent and passionate person but I actually trust and follow Helen Caldicott and Vandana Shiva with reverence I have for few other entities like government and religion .
0 x

Girlcancan

Postby Girlcancan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:51 am

I'm prepping for a train derailment bug out/bug in - There is a train line that runs behind my house in the valley.
A possible pandemic bug-in situation - Isolation Isolation ISOLATION
Electrical outage- brrr and all the hotels are booked up...
Snowed in scenario - Can't go anywhere because I can't get out my front driveway! Get a bigger dog to pull a sled? Snow shoes? crosscountry skies?
0 x

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:57 am

Syn wrote:cernunnos5 have you been following Guy McPherson and his blog at Nature Bats Last ? Thank you so much for posting Helens latest video , it shook me to the very core .
I do believe Derrick is an intelligent and passionate person but I actually trust and follow Helen Caldicott and Vandana Shiva with reverence I have for few other entities like government and religion .

Guy McPherson. Now, there is a cheery dude with a positive view of the future. I really hope it is not that bad...but it probably is. If I can Name drop alittle, We have a close friend of Vandana in the area which is why she has lectured locally. He was up at our place here doing a farm analysis this spring.
0 x

Return to “General Discussions”