sorry, no time or no interest
15%

Total votes: 20

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Martial Arts Poll

Postby Denob » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:44 pm

Do you practice martial arts as a prepper?
Thanks to Helicopilot for the suggestion!
0 x

Singlecell

Re: Martial Arts Poll

Postby Singlecell » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:14 pm

I did martial arts as a kid. I used to be good at american boxing. I do combat conditioning now. The one thing I never see on peoples "everyday carry" is a gym membership. You see these fat baby-soft hands cradling their gear in a fetishized manner, no one ever talks about morning runs, combat conditioning or shadowboxing and striking, or even load bearing exercises for hard labour and wearing a heavy pack like a bugout bag, like barbell squats, front squats, deadlifts, or even something exotic like the farmers walk or a sandbag clean.

It's all good stuff.
0 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:40 pm

I think its part of the toolkit...and I personally am an advocate of Krav Maga....but...

Just to play devils advocate for a moment: the effort, time and investment you have to put into training for the possibility that "maybe" you might need to use it at some point in your life vs. using that same time, effort and investment in other areas of preparedness the ROI in self defense isnt that great. Hours upon hours that could have been spent in other endeavors. The caveat being...if you ever do need it...sure as heck is better you have that "tool in your toolkit."

I'm an avid believer in situational awareness and street smarts where avoiding a fight guarantees 100% survival. Self Defense/Fighting mitigates the risk...but doesn't protect you fully and always a chance in any combat your going to get hurt. Many systems are great to learn with very practical applications if your in a bind...but if you only have a few hours a week to dedicate to preparedness...and you have to prioritize...I think that self defense starts to fall to the bottom of the list. My long winded two cents. :)

Good poll idea.
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:52 am

I have recently returned to martial arts after doing some as a kid. I'm not a sport-oriented person so I find this to be a great workout opportunity with the added benefit of relaxation and learning self defence techniques. I echo TCO that I would prefer using street smarts to avoid fights, but if it needs be, I'd be glad to have the extra training. In the meanwhile, I'm surrounded by kids less than half my age and I run circles around them; sad to see how unfit kids have become with time!

Single cell : great point that too many people forget fitness (and health for that matter) at the expense of hoarding beans, bullets, bandaids and gadgets. Reminds me of one of the Doomsday Prepper show where the guy could hardly walk from obesity and many chronic diseases but rode on his quad with 3 dozen guns stating he'll do anything to survive the next (whatever thing) coming up. Being fit and healthy would go a long way at the onset of a TEOTWAWKI event.
0 x

JackDee

Postby JackDee » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:25 pm

Got beaten a lot when I was a kid, trying to toughen up with karate but still ended beaten up into a pulp :D
I think it's because I'm not a tough guy type, but I still runs and jump fences quite frequently.
Later turns into wushu in search of weaponry but unfortunately some of the common weapons like sword, saber and stick is not portable enough. Even nunchakus and tonfa (the one like the police baton) is not common to be carry in public.

However once when I was doing some panhandling (when out of cash during travel without destination :lol: ), the guy next to me who was surprisingly an ex-con shared me a tips: when out-muscled, the best is to use sharpies to defend yourself. However he also warned that most of lethal stabbing incident is because commonly people just push too deep. Ended up giving me tips to use short pointy sharpies that will not stab too deep but only to immobilize a stronger opponent.

I think martial arts is good for both physical and mental, that's why I include it on my prep tips. However I have my own perspective on physical fitness, check it out: http://seavilization.blogspot.com/2014/11/how-to-start-prepping-2.html
0 x

Singlecell

Postby Singlecell » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:29 pm

JackDee wrote:Got beaten a lot when I was a kid, trying to toughen up with karate but still ended beaten up into a pulp :D
I think it's because I'm not a tough guy type, but I still runs and jump fences quite frequently.
Later turns into wushu in search of weaponry, unfortunately some of the common weapons like sword, saber and stick is not portable enough. Even nunchakus and tonfa (the one like the police baton) is not common to be carry in public.

However once when I was doing some panhandling (when out of cash during travel without destination :lol: ), the guy next to me who was surprisingly an ex-con shared me a tips: when out-muscled, the best is to use sharpies to defend yourself. However he also warned that most of lethal stabbing incident is because commonly people just push too deep. Ended up giving me tips to use short pointy sharpies that will not stab too deep but only to immobilize a stronger opponent.

I think martial arts is good for both physical and mental, that's why I include it on my prep tips. However I have my own perspective on physical fitness, check it out: http://seavilization.blogspot.com/2014/11/how-to-start-prepping-2.html

Man I read your blog for one minute and I can already tell you know what's up. Your opinion about diversification of food intake is right on the money, most people don't understand that, but it is how we were meant to eat. Were special creatures, us omnivores.
0 x

Return to “General Discussions”