• Advertisement

Food Dehydrators

Post general discussions here
RachelM
Canada

Food Dehydrators

Postby RachelM » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:29 am

In the market to pick one up in a month or two, trying to decide what to get. I heard some stores will be putting them on sale later in the summer so I'm looking to scoop one up. Most of the ones I've seen are either Nesco or Exaclibur, just wondering if the more experienced have recommendations or preference? Thanks!
0 x

peppercorn

Re: Food Dehydrators

Postby peppercorn » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:12 am

RachelM you might want to look up Goldies post from a couple years back, I think it was her that had some brand of dehydrator that worked well, I remember I was thinking about getting one, but I found my down stairs propane stove (oven pilot light model), works great, so that's what I use, though I use the natural gas orifice when dehydrating on propane, for a little more heat, works prefect for me.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

kootenay kid
Canada

Postby kootenay kid » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:48 pm

I have a Nesco, with 10 trays. Just love it. Got the kids one for Christmas last year, they like theirs also. We did not get the Jerky maker, so do not know how rhar works.
KK
0 x

PrepHer
Canada

Postby PrepHer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:14 pm

I've always dreamed of buying an Excalibur. I have an old fashion round dehydrator - works fine for me.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=1950
Attachments
1Drying NettlesSM.png
1Drying NettlesSM.png (242.46 KiB) Viewed 129 times
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:44 am

I use the Nesco round one. Works great & was around $30. It came with a jerky maker, although I don't bother with it. Used it once & it was kinda messy, prefer my jerky just in small pieces rather than chunks. I got some fruit roll-up trays to go with it - work great. It's a bit loud, but I usually do big batches once in a while, so no biggie.
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Foxglove
Canada

Postby Foxglove » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:28 am

Costco has the Excalibur dehydrators on their website and there's a sale price on most of them until July 30th. www.costco.ca I've got the 9 tray one and it holds a lot of food and dries the food evenly without having to move any of the food around.
0 x

Adagio
Canada

Postby Adagio » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:06 pm

Thanks for the link foxglove.

I think it depends on how much you expect to use your dehydrator that will determine which model to buy. If you are just using it once in a while and not for vast amounts of products you would be better off with the less expensive models. Nesco and salton both make good dehydrators. The salton one does not have fruit roll up inserts but the nesco one does. I began dehydrating with the salton one and for what i was doing at the time it was more than sufficient. The one thing about these models is that since they heat from the bottom up you need to switch the trays from top to bottom every couple of hours to get an even dry. I started using mine more and more and with time the plastic trays did break down. I did eventually go with an excalibur and wouldn't turn back now. They are the workhorses of dehydrators, lifetime guarantee and they work like a charm. You can have them going 24/7 for days or weeks at a time and they never falter. However given the range in price from close to 200.00 to 600.00 with tax for the Excalibur versus the less expensive models that range between 40 and 90 you really need to look at what your usage will be.
0 x

Return to “General Discussions”