• Advertisement

Moral Obligations To Non-Preppers What would you do?

General Preparedness Discussions
waystoprepare

Re: Moral Obligations To Non-Preppers What would you do?

Postby waystoprepare » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:29 am

Antsy it is impossible to show the whole picture in this medium. We take a very small part and focus on some element for closer examination. Taken alone it does sound extreme. I don't believe the music will stop at all. I do believe it will get very low as the world goes through a terrible trouble time. I believe it will be a true coming of age for all of mankind. I am, unlike most people i talk to, an optimist . We do have a future and our children will be the ones who will make it whatever it will be. I would like to be able to play a role in helping make it a healthier time.
0 x

Antsy
Netherlands

Postby Antsy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:20 am

waystoprepare wrote:Antsy it is impossible to show the whole picture in this medium. We take a very small part and focus on some element for closer examination. Taken alone it does sound extreme. I don't believe the music will stop at all. I do believe it will get very low as the world goes through a terrible trouble time. I believe it will be a true coming of age for all of mankind. I am, unlike most people i talk to, an optimist . We do have a future and our children will be the ones who will make it whatever it will be. I would like to be able to play a role in helping make it a healthier time.

Ways', on what evidence do you believe that we will experience this, "terrible trouble time"? I'm just curious. That is not to say that I don't think that the world has been troubled in these last dozen decades, rather, you appear to imply something further or different than we have experienced thus far. Extraordinary claims indeed! I'm just looking for the extraordinary evidence which should support those claims. I understand that it may be difficult to explain your entire rational in a single post. Perhaps you could just give me the most compelling evidence that you are subscribing to so that I might too appreciate the urgency.

Antsy
0 x
Needs must when the devil drives.

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:31 pm

I know this is an old threat, but I've been thinking about this, in terms of my sister. She came to live with me in August, til this coming April, to do her graduate degree at a local university. I gave her the rundown of where various tools & supplies are, and I think the thinks I have overly paranoid and will never need them. She has made fun of my prepping, in a light-hearted way, i.e "Is this for when the Zombie Apocalypse happens?" I charge her $100 rent and half of general household supplies like T.P. and garbage bags. She has zero interest in prepping and waits until we're out of something to mention it. I keep backups of everything but since she has made no move to reimburse me for something from my stores, I have started hiding my backups so she is forced to go & buy and I can maintain my preps. She is one of those people who dresses lightly with flimsy shoes cause we're in a car, with no thought to the fact you could get in an accident, get stuck, break down, etc. When we had a water main break for a weekend, I think she was relieved I had water stored. On one hand, she has very little income, lives for the moment and has always driven crap cars (she's carless now), but they money she does have is spent on travelling to exotic places. On the other hand, she has worked and volunteered in third world conditions in Honduras and India and I think, if push came to shove, she would have an adaptable mentality and a good sense of humour, if no tangible skills other than cooking (in a modern kitchen).

I think if there were an emergency to happen in the next 4 months (after which she's likely moving out), I would obviously help her, to the extent I could, in my household and share some of my food & water, but I wouldn't risk life & limb. She did sign as my reference on my PAL application too :)
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Antsy
Netherlands

Postby Antsy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:25 pm

HopeImReady wrote:I know this is an old threat, but I've been thinking about this, in terms of my sister. She came to live with me in August, til this coming April, to do her graduate degree at a local university. I gave her the rundown of where various tools & supplies are, and I think the thinks I have overly paranoid and will never need them. She has made fun of my prepping, in a light-hearted way, i.e "Is this for when the Zombie Apocalypse happens?" I charge her $100 rent and half of general household supplies like T.P. and garbage bags. She has zero interest in prepping and waits until we're out of something to mention it. I keep backups of everything but since she has made no move to reimburse me for something from my stores, I have started hiding my backups so she is forced to go & buy and I can maintain my preps. She is one of those people who dresses lightly with flimsy shoes cause we're in a car, with no thought to the fact you could get in an accident, get stuck, break down, etc. When we had a water main break for a weekend, I think she was relieved I had water stored. On one hand, she has very little income, lives for the moment and has always driven crap cars (she's carless now), but they money she does have is spent on travelling to exotic places. On the other hand, she has worked and volunteered in third world conditions in Honduras and India and I think, if push came to shove, she would have an adaptable mentality and a good sense of humour, if no tangible skills other than cooking (in a modern kitchen).

I think if there were an emergency to happen in the next 4 months (after which she's likely moving out), I would obviously help her, to the extent I could, in my household and share some of my food & water, but I wouldn't risk life & limb. She did sign as my reference on my PAL application too :)

From what I've just read, it looks like you are already stepping up to help your sister out. Since I subscribe to a much more moderate version of "personal calamity" vs. the Hollywood 5th Wave type, I'm open to helping out non-prepping folk as their need arises. To me, the SHTF is a personal war of attrition which often requires many helping hands to avoid. You are only charging your sister $100 per month plus expenses. I'm going to guess that she would have a hard time actualizing her goal of a Masters degree without your assistance. Good on you. Hopefully your sister will take what you are giving her to become a successful, contributing member of society and will have unwittingly picked up a few good habits from you. Ultimately, I hope she gets the chance to pay it forward as she becomes more established.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:33 pm

Antsy wrote:
HopeImReady wrote:I know this is an old threat, but I've been thinking about this, in terms of my sister. She came to live with me in August, til this coming April, to do her graduate degree at a local university. I gave her the rundown of where various tools & supplies are, and I think the thinks I have overly paranoid and will never need them. She has made fun of my prepping, in a light-hearted way, i.e "Is this for when the Zombie Apocalypse happens?" I charge her $100 rent and half of general household supplies like T.P. and garbage bags. She has zero interest in prepping and waits until we're out of something to mention it. I keep backups of everything but since she has made no move to reimburse me for something from my stores, I have started hiding my backups so she is forced to go & buy and I can maintain my preps. She is one of those people who dresses lightly with flimsy shoes cause we're in a car, with no thought to the fact you could get in an accident, get stuck, break down, etc. When we had a water main break for a weekend, I think she was relieved I had water stored. On one hand, she has very little income, lives for the moment and has always driven crap cars (she's carless now), but they money she does have is spent on travelling to exotic places. On the other hand, she has worked and volunteered in third world conditions in Honduras and India and I think, if push came to shove, she would have an adaptable mentality and a good sense of humour, if no tangible skills other than cooking (in a modern kitchen).

From what I've just read, it looks like you are already stepping up to help your sister out. Since I subscribe to a much more moderate version of "personal calamity" vs. the Hollywood 5th Wave type, I'm open to helping out non-prepping folk as their need arises. To me, the SHTF is a personal war of attrition which often requires many helping hands to avoid. You are only charging your sister $100 per month plus expenses. I'm going to guess that she would have a hard time actualizing her goal of a Masters degree without your assistance. Good on you. Hopefully your sister will take what you are giving her to become a successful, contributing member of society and will have unwittingly picked up a few good habits from you. Ultimately, I hope she gets the chance to pay it forward as she becomes more established.

Thanks for the positive spin to this one Antsy. Preppers do tend have an "I'm right, they're wrong" approach to problems it seems, I like your answer though. I think the masses are not generally inclined to prepping and new generations are further detached from subsistence or even hobby farming. But we should still be an example to those around us, even if we have to pick up the slack a bit at times.
Last edited by helicopilot on Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Antsy
Netherlands

Postby Antsy » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:05 am

helicopilot wrote:
Thanks for the positive spin to this one Antsy. Preppers to tend have an "I'm right, they're wrong" approach to problems it seems, I like your answer. I think the masses are not generally inclined to prepping and new generations are more and more detached from subsistence or even hobby farming. But we should still be an example to those around us, even if we have to pick up the slack a bit at times.

Aww shucks HC :oops:
Thanks for the kind words and works. Happy New Year to you and yours.
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:51 am

Thanks for the kind words. I'd like to think some of my habits rub off on her...convinced her to try dehydrating, after she turned down the opportunity to learn to make soap, make fish jerky, and learning to use a ham radio. When something breaks of hers or she loses something, I *usually* have something in my tickle trunk to fix it.

I think there is a fine line - between being that resourceful person which people come to, and learn from - versus them thinking they don't need to learn or do, because you always will. I think my friends and neighbors are in the first group, probably due to their age, and my sister is currently mostly in the second, again due to her age and immaturity.

side note: reading this again I noticed all my typos in my earlier post :oops: ..I think I am getting over a near-miss with the flu
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:09 pm

I think we also tend to be quite enthusiastic while others may look at us from a more agnostic point of view. (Which reminds me of a friend's bumper sticker which read: "the hardest thing about a zombie apocalypse would be to appear as though I'm not excited!")

Seems like you may be trying to show a tad too much to your sister which may be overwhelmingly underwhelming for her: ham radio, dehydrating, jerky making, soap making.... Maybe focus on one specific thing you may be more likely to have in common and Segway into another form of prepping from there?
0 x

Goldie
Canada

Postby Goldie » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:07 am

I'm glad this thread has come up again.

After comments made to me , something like " we'll just come to your place if something happens " ,
it has made me even more guarded and secretive. They say stupid things such
as you only need a weeks worth of supplies, or 72 hours .
With that in mind, the non prepared people will really
think all of us have hoards of stuff and should share and that we are greedy .
When I hear them say they are coming to my house, I realize I must have let
too much information out, and better hush up , I reply with:
" no point coming here , I only have 72 hours worth of stuff for myself "

This is scary , because they have no concept of how fast supplies can run out, that it might have taken
years to put together and you have a plan . You work hard , you garden and dehydrate and can stuff.
You invest in water containers , tools , tarps , boots, etc etc, while they might travel and buy sports cars.
They have no idea that we plan on bartering , and replenishing and networking.
To them it is just use it up and somebody will provide more.

The idea that what we hoard , prep, garden, belongs to everyone you know, and divided out equally when
only you contribute will just not work . Your supplies will run out. I think the answer again is to continue to find like minded
people with a variety of skills, and tread lightly on letting non believers know what you are doing.

I would sooner help someone with nothing if they at least understand and believe in prepping, and want to prep,
but as yet has not started, than help someone who laughed at what I was doing and did not believe in prepping.

I have some very elderly neighbors I would be checking in on and helping .
0 x

OldTimeGardener

Postby OldTimeGardener » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:44 am

Goldie wrote:I'm glad this thread has come up again.

After comments made to me , something like " we'll just come to your place if something happens " .

Goldie, my answer to this nonsense is..

'Remember those mice I have been havin' trouble with...?"

then wait for their nod/respond.

" well they got into all my food stuffs and I had to toss most of it out....the rest I may feed to the chickens. So what have you got you can help me out with when you come?? Cause I am about to give up on prepping."

Goldie, how much ya wanna bet they would soon lose any interest in your place/supplies.
Between the mice and you askin for THEIR help, should do it. ;)

And if that doesn't work... add in:
" you should see what they did to my extra bedding and such!"
0 x
A sense of humor is absolutely essential to survival.

Return to “General Preparedness”