• Advertisement

Moral Obligations To Non-Preppers What would you do?

General Preparedness Discussions
gracefromspace

Moral Obligations To Non-Preppers What would you do?

Postby gracefromspace » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:32 pm

I would really like to hear your opinions about this because it has been really bugging me since yesterday.

A long time friend who we don't see often came out for a visit yesterday, right when we were in the middle of doing some updates and checks on all our emergency supplies and equipment. He pretty much thinks we are over the top and a bit crazy for what we do in case of an emergency, disaster, or other event, and said he was a bit concerned at our approach to it and doesn't believe anything will happen that warrants our amount of prepping. We have briefly discussed prepping with him in the past, but he wasn't that interested. He is a single guy with no young family, partner, or pets to consider.

I didn't want to get into a major discussion about it with him because most people want to continue thinking that the world is all good and nothing will ever happen to them, or that they don't need to be even slightly prepared for unforeseeable life changing events or forced changes to the way we live in the future. After the substantial Earthquake we felt here on Saturday morning, it was a slightly nervous reminder that it can happen anytime without warning. The quake gave us a good shake and prompted us to put into effect our emergency plans and what we have learnt so far.

We have a good supply of food and supplies for ourselves and our animals if things turned bad after a disaster or other event, and we could depend on ourselves instead of relying on others, government, or emergency services to come to our aid. We also keep an eye on things happening around the world including possible economy collapse that would affect everything globally, & a number of other possible events. We aren't obsessed with prepping or focus on it all day long, it's just peace of mind knowing it is there if we need it, and meantime life goes on as normal everyday for us. It's just our "insurance policy".

Well, after some discussion our friend he said that IF anything did turn to s**t he would come here, obviously thinking that we have all the food supplies etc and will share with him, and he won't need to contribute. We have spent over 2 years working on preparing and gathering supplies to get us through, and worked hard at planning things. I said to him that he would be welcome to come here but he would need to contribute as much as possible if that situation arose so we could all survive together for an extended period of time if need be. There was a somewhat awkward silence after that :oops:

I feel I have a moral obligation to assist a friend and human being, if they are willing to help themselves and contribute in some way toward it as well. So, am I wrong and selfish to be this way with a staunch "non-prepper" who chooses not to be responsible for themselves, instead only wanting to rely on others who have prepped?
0 x

JustABear

Re: Moral Obligations To Non-Preppers What would you do?

Postby JustABear » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:30 am

Your "friend" is typical of many in modern society. A sense of entitlement and always making sure their "rights" are met.... but leaving out the most important part... In return for your rights you have also responsibility. I would be having a very frank discussion with your friend as to expectations.What will he be bringing to the table? IF he isn't bringing anything what is he prepared to pay you NOW to cover the cost of what he will use and to allow you to increase what you have on hand. Basically he wants an insurance policy without having to pay any premiums. To answer your question... and it has been discussed here before... offer a measure of charity, send him on his way and wish him luck.

JAB
0 x

oldschool
Canada

Postby oldschool » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:36 am

I heard the same statement from someone not that long ago. My answer was a very firm NO you would not be welcome. It was the attitude that bugged me. There are others that are non-preppers that I would help. Anyone who thinks they can get any rewards without the effort is out of luck around my place and it does not have to be a SHTF case. I don't like free loaders.
0 x

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:41 am

Hey. One of the first things we learn as preppers is the "Life boat" analogy. Unfortunatly some people use this reasoning to be.....selfish dicks.
Its a balencing act. I prep for several unprepaired people. They just wont much like eating 2 square meals of pumpkin soup, wormy sour apples and animal grade wheat and corn. More mouths to feed, more hand to work. One of my freinds thats not a prepper...but gets it and is more preppared than most because of experience...made the mistake of giving me the "if the shtf, Im comming....." comment. Poor man. I was prepared. I recently found this blog. First off, I dont agree with the writer, think he is a duche, and I take personal responsibility for those under my care.... But his points are valid and in a nice, neet blog that I can send to anyone that makes the mistake of giving me the " Ill just come to..." speech.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2010/10/wel ... and_b.html
0 x
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:13 am

OOPS. My comment were not base on Just a Bear or Old school. They just snuck in wile typing. Its one of the accidental problems with this style of communication. Im not commenting on the comments above. All the best to all the regs
0 x

JustABear

Postby JustABear » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:14 am

LMAO.... no worries... and hey.. whats wrong with pumpkin soup?
0 x

ICRCC

Postby ICRCC » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:30 am

That is an excellent link Cernunnos5. It is well worth a read by all preppers and especially all want to be preppers. Contained in the piece is the statement " To survive, you need a balance of skills, resources, preparation and experience". Truer words have never been said. That is one reason why prepping is always ongoing and never reaches a conclusion. I am sure that many of us on this site are well prepared enough to survive a short lived SHTF event in relative comfort. However I do not know how many would be mentally, emotionally and spiritually prepared if it was a it turned out to be a major SHTF event that lasted for many months and became really "nasty". Although in the past I did not start out with the beliefs that are stated in the article now I believe that this is the only way to approach the situation.
0 x

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:11 am

Thanks. A good friend I sent this to quoted the exact same line. The one that hit me was....debri hut...and 60mph wind. Food storage without pre planning.....a house...is a real problem
0 x

ranger2012

Postby ranger2012 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:11 pm

I'm the only prepper of my 4 siblings, and @55 I'm the youngest. I'm the crazy doomsayer uncle. So what are my obligations to them?
0 x
"We 'Prep.' to live after a downfall, Not just to survive."

ICRCC

Postby ICRCC » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:57 pm

You plant the seed of preparedness . If it germinates that's great. If it doesn't but you have the resources to help them that's fine. If you do not have the resources to help them then that will have to be ok because that is reality. In other words you do what you can
0 x

Return to “General Preparedness”