• Advertisement

Moral Obligations To Non-Preppers What would you do?

General Preparedness Discussions
peppercorn

Re: Moral Obligations To Non-Preppers What would you do?

Postby peppercorn » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:48 am

You know I just cant figure out those who wish to be opaque, I wish Antsy would just spit out what he thinks, man up and take a position.....Clarity is everything
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

Antsy
Netherlands

Postby Antsy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:09 pm

Clarity:

Club Soda over Coke or Pepsi
Which ever truck is cheapest when I'm in the market
Choice over anti-choice
Which ever gov't will leave us the F alone (assumes we can behave ethically without a gov't or church telling us right from wrong)
Science over superstition
White Spy over Black Spy (Mad Magazine)
Marvel over Detective Comics
No to loyalty membership cards - just please give everyone a fair price...

And as primates in a tribe, our "moral" obligations to the tribe are paramount. They are the only reason our species was able to out compete our way to where we are today.

If I missed anything important let me know. ;)
0 x
Needs must when the devil drives.

Sylvie2674
Canada

Postby Sylvie2674 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:08 am

This is a hard question to answer....
I know before I moved my friends always said If S.H.T.F, that they would come to my house.
I told them flag out no... They laughed at my preps and would not help, so it was an instant no.
On the other hand, where I live now it is a difficult situation...
There are elderly that survived the dirty thirties and we're always prepared. But now they are in now living in homes.
I can not consciously let them all suffer due to their age and health. I want to help.
But what do you, help? And if so to what extent?
0 x
I prep for my daughters, for they are our future.
I prep for the short and long term. Everyday I strive to learn something new.
I prep for community. For in the long run each of us need one another.

Antsy
Netherlands

Postby Antsy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:53 am

Sylvie2674 wrote:This is a hard question to answer....
I know before I moved my friends always said If S.H.T.F, that they would come to my house.
I told them flag out no... They laughed at my preps and would not help, so it was an instant no.
There are elderly that survived the dirty thirties and we're always prepared. But now they are in now living in homes.
I can not consciously let them all suffer due to their age and health. I want to help.

It would appear that the answer depends upon what is meant by S.H.T.F. If the shit is their shit and does not directly effect you, compassion might suggest that you help out no matter how they react to your hobby. If, instead, the shit takes you on as well then you might want to ensure that you are covered first and foremost as well. In either case it comes down to how you might live with yourself if real harm befalls someone you profess to care about in the good times
0 x
Needs must when the devil drives.

Sylvie2674
Canada

Postby Sylvie2674 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:03 am

Antsy wrote:
Sylvie2674 wrote:This is a hard question to answer....

It would appear that the answer depends upon what is meant by S.H.T.F. If the shit is their shit and does not directly effect you, compassion might suggest that you help out no matter how they react to your hobby. If, instead, the shit takes you on as well then you might want to ensure that you are covered first and foremost as well. In either case it comes down to how you might live with yourself if real harm befalls someone you profess to care about in the good times

Indeed, I know that my first concern is my family. But I also know that I would not want to sit idle while others suffered. Being in a small town has its perks. The deer are always in my yard, Ian awesome daughter that hunts, I know of three natural springs, and I know some of the healing herbs that grow in this area.
So yes, without compromising my familly's supplies, I figure I could help out.
0 x
I prep for my daughters, for they are our future.
I prep for the short and long term. Everyday I strive to learn something new.
I prep for community. For in the long run each of us need one another.

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:52 pm

Personally, I am more inclined to help with knowledge/skills than with tangible items. Knowledge you can share with them about how to forage, where to obtain water, in their house/in nature/how to purify. Medical/first aid/repair skills. I have been trying to get this going in my little community, under "cover" of disaster-preparedness and general self-sufficiency. They cost only time, and helps others help themselves. Of course, in a long-term SHTF scenario, this only goes so far.
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Syn

Postby Syn » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:11 am

What are the moral obligations that nonpreppers aid in preparation for a confirmed prepper ? Pretty much zero obligation, so other than not giving false information, not stealing or hindering anyone else effort to do for themselves , I feel no obligation outside my own circle of responsibility .
0 x

Koddie
Canada

Postby Koddie » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:04 am

I think my response would depend largely on several factors: Where am I? What state am I in? Who are they?

Where am I? If I am bunkered down in my home and family came to the door I would likely be willing to share my resources and would invite them in. They would have to work to earn their keep but there would be some advantages to having a few extra bodies around. Providing they contribute to the effort they can learn as we go.

My neighbours would not get invited in and would not be permitted to see what I do or do not have. I would be willing to barter with them but they have no skills or materials that I am aware of that would be an asset to me. As soon as the drive throughs and convenience stores closed up they would be in trouble. I doubt they have more than 1 or 2 days of anything in their homes. Strangers would be asked to move along.

If the situation required me to bug out I would be much less inclined to offer any help to anyone including family as my supplies would be limited to my BOV or BOB. Avoidance would become more critical to ensure I did not lose my belongings by choice or force. There are a few individuals, friends and family I would be inclined to help but I know they have some skills that could be a benefit to me and they do not have issues that could prevent me from being mobile.

My state is key, initially I would be more willing to help others but as supplies become more difficult to replace I would become more reluctant. If hunger and fatigue start to become issues then I would become even more reluctant to aid others.

I would certainly like to get through any situation without any form of confrontation but ultimately what's mine is mine. My efforts are for me and my immediate family. If the situation dictates I have to protect myself, my family, or my possessions then that is what I'll will do regardless of whether they are extended family, friends, neighbours or strangers.
0 x

HaliBoy

Postby HaliBoy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:39 pm

You have no moral obligations that you do not already have.

Do you work a job and spend/save every cent for your self? Nothing wrong with that and when the SHTF you just keep doing the same.

Do you work a job and help out family and friends when you can? Then keep doing that when the SHTF.

Do you have friends you stopped helping but still talk to because they just won't help themselves? The continue to only talk to them when the SHTF.

Whatever you are doing now is your ethics, you have no obligation to become the world's welfare when the SHTF. You preppered, they spent their money on non-preps. They made their own beds, you owe them nothing during SHTF that you didn't owe them pre-SHTF.
1 x
Why did I join Canadian Preppers Network?
Well I was going to join the UK Network but those bloody Brits don't know how to speak proper English! ;-)

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:53 pm

I've thought quite a bit about this question. In the past, I've held several preconceived ideas on how I would act if I was faced with a "particular situation." I've attempted to think rationally and be realistic as to the actions I would take. In the past however, when I've actually been faced with the real life situation, I've been unable to follow my preconceived plan and have ended-up putting myself in harms way for the sake of others. I first rationalized this as duty (actions taken as a police officer), but when situations occurred off the job, I acted in the same manner. I've come to accept this as a personal strength/weakness that reflects the person who I am.

Perhaps if I was making the decision in-front of my family (risking their welfare), things might be different. I don't honestly know. As a Christian however, I don't believe that I could turn away others and would try to help them.

Of course in the case where I was presented with an assault, that would be different. I would protect my family and am amply prepared to do so. In the case where people needed help and were asking for it, that would be a different situation.

As I think about this, I have to ask myself: 'If you will share what you have with others, why bother prepping in the first place?' To this I suppose I'd answer: Any preparation I do, can only be defined as an attempt to improve the situation I find myself in. Despite my best efforts, circumstances may occur where I find myself and my family without and in need of the generosity of others. Whatever happens, if I survive I have to look at myself and be seen by my family members. All I can do is my best. If I die in the attempt, so be it.
0 x

Return to “General Preparedness”