• Advertisement

Moral Obligations To Non-Preppers What would you do?

General Preparedness Discussions
Naka

Re: Moral Obligations To Non-Preppers What would you do?

Postby Naka » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:52 am

Frugal....if you read the survivalblog.com posted by Cernonnus5 on page 6,you would have the answer to your querie. Greenenergy...would you mind if I used your post? I know of a town that I would like to post it in the local newspaper.I too grew up in a town like that and it breaks my heart to see what is happening to it.You are so bang on.Great emotion in this topic.I feel like I have seen the light that shines on serious preppers.I feel like I don't have to hide anymore about being a prepper.Thanks.
0 x

Antsy
Netherlands

Postby Antsy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:49 am

I've read a wide variety of opinion regarding one's moral or ethical obligations to others on this thread. Ultimately though, I think that the obligation is to oneself. If you can live with yourself given the decisions you make, then you have met your ethical obligations. Since the details of the event which created the ethical dilemma are both hypothetical and ambiguous, none of us really know how we will react. We like to see ourselves in such a way that is consistent with our personal self image whether it be supportive, authoritarian, strong, etc. Until we actually have to face adversity, and unless we have already faced similar adversity like those of you who have served for us, we won't really know for sure. It is a useful exercise to consider how you might react given adverse situations; don't be too surprised though if your true actions don't match with your considered ones.

Antsy
Last edited by Antsy on Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Needs must when the devil drives.

Naka

Postby Naka » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:53 pm

No truer words spoken Antsy.What's that saying about crossing the bridge? If,like you said,a person has crossed that bridge,then all that is left is consequences.In the case of our decision to this matter,it has to be quick and final.If not,emotions become a player in our decision and you know where that could lead.Regrets.Philantropists set up missions.Preppers set up bol's.
0 x

oldschool
Canada

Postby oldschool » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:09 am

I know how I reacted when we had the big black out for 3 days. I fed the neighborhood. I baked and severed tea, coffee, etc on my front lawn every morning. I spent those 3 days teaching people or trying to teach them (most stayed drunk) about what to do. This was all before I ever heard the word prepper.

I no longer live in that neighborhood and don't know my neighbors now except to wave hello in passing. I think part of helping is the connection that you feel before something happens when it comes to sharing food and water.

That being said. I know most of my neighbors are good people. When I had the house fire I had only been in the house 2 weeks. One young couple did an amazing job of trying to help, including getting a cat cage to try to get my critters out. If push came to shove, still not sure if I would share my food or water with them.
0 x

Doe

Postby Doe » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:07 am

Sometimes while I'm building another sturdy shelving unit to stay ahead of our growing supplies, I think about what I'd do if the neighbours did come to the door during the crisis. Many have bought outdoor equipment from us as we recycle the older items into newer, or lighter gear; they've discussed harvest canning with me and know that my husband and I usually do things as a team (so we are in the same place at the same time). If they don't come here I'll be perplexed!

They'll have something to offer or walk is the final answer. We work at being strong, secure and we practice our survival skills; so neither the threat of gossip nor gospel could get another body in the door empty handed (soft hearted me thinks I might if the grand-kids are still young and here alone :idea: and we need a storyteller)!
0 x

Dano

Postby Dano » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:53 am

What would I do? Make sure that my family is looked after then ensure I have done what I can for my friends. After that I would do what I can to help others. We are all in this together but charity begins at home.
0 x

Preppersaurus
Canada

Postby Preppersaurus » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:27 pm

When the lights go out, the survival game truly begins. You now have to play with the hand that you have dealt yourself. If you have lots of food, you might be able to barter for things you don't have. Those with firearms, may just try to take, from those who have what they want. If I chose to spend my money to stock up on food, meds, etc and my neighbor chose to spend their money on cigarettes and beer, I won't feel much sympathy for them when they are starving. I will barter, So choose your purchases wisely.

Preppersaurus
0 x
http://preppersaurus.blogspot.ca/

andysurvivor

Postby andysurvivor » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:25 am

Howdy,

I think after SHTF alot of people will be shell shocked/emotional breakdowns while getting out of dodge and if I bump into friend or acquaintance and they still seem on even keel I would give them at least some food or a meal and some matches obviously keeping cautious about the person. A warm meal and kindness does do wonders for the soul.
0 x
If it's not supposed to move and is moving use duct tape, If it's supposed to move and is not moving using WD-40.

waystoprepare

Postby waystoprepare » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:45 pm

This is a question that I have been putting to many people around where I live. For some reason I don't understand so many people believe that they may see the end of the world in their lifetime. But they are doing nothing to prepare aside from normal rural stuff, canning and the like. What is interesting is they see it as a very real question that they themselves may have to confront.

There was another thread a while ago about who would you let in after SHTF. In didn't write a response but I thought a lot about it. The answers I have are not yet completely developed. Here is what I have so far. I needed a framework to begin thinking about it so I asked myself what is the moral imperative? What are the set of principal's that would guide me? I discovered that they would all have to be a part of what actions I took or didn't take. So you have to prioritize which principal first. I choose, Justice. If I had the ability to feed 20 extra people, than those would be children. I choose justice because children had nothing to do with creating the state of the world. We did. We in particular the baby boomers have out of a complete focus on themselves depleted the world of it's ability to sustain itself and as a result deprived our children and grandchildren of maybe even having a life. So if I had to choose I would choose to give every child a chance to at least live for a while longer.

This approach turns out to have some very practical results in the right kind of community which I can write about some other time.
0 x

Antsy
Netherlands

Postby Antsy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:01 am

waystoprepare wrote:This is a question that I have been putting to many people around where I live. For some reason I don't understand so many people believe that they may see the end of the world in their lifetime. But they are doing nothing to prepare aside from normal rural stuff, canning and the like. What is interesting is they see it as a very real question that they themselves may have to confront.

There was another thread a while ago about who would you let in after SHTF. In didn't write a response but I thought a lot about it. The answers I have are not yet completely developed. Here is what I have so far. I needed a framework to begin thinking about it so I asked myself what is the moral imperative? What are the set of principal's that would guide me? I discovered that they would all have to be a part of what actions I took or didn't take. So you have to prioritize which principal first. I choose, Justice. If I had the ability to feed 20 extra people, than those would be children. I choose justice because children had nothing to do with creating the state of the world. We did. We in particular the baby boomers have out of a complete focus on themselves depleted the world of it's ability to sustain itself and as a result deprived our children and grandchildren of maybe even having a life. So if I had to choose I would choose to give every child a chance to at least live for a while longer.

This approach turns out to have some very practical results in the right kind of community which I can write about some other time.

I don't personally subscribe to the likelihood that the music will stop for all time and we will be forced into some kind of 19th century re-boot. It makes for good fiction but like vampires, and zombies, it just isn't likely. You may well find yourself feeding friends and neighbours during an extreme weather event because you are the only one with the foresight to have canned food, fuel, etc. I just don't see us all being our own personal protagonists in some post apocalyptic thriller. If someone knows something concrete which would lead one to believe otherwise, I'm all ears.
0 x
Needs must when the devil drives.

Return to “General Preparedness”