• Advertisement

Vehicles

General Preparedness Discussions
Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Re: Vehicles

Postby Denob » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:46 pm

7hellyears wrote:Just to bring you up to speed, if you bought jerrycans full of gasoline, use it all up within a six month period or you will find that
the gasoline is no longer suitable for internal combustion engines.
Oil refineries, and the companies that operate them, don't want you to know about this, but they mix additives into certain volatile
refined hydrocarbons (like heptane, octane, etc) to improve performance (good), to eliminate knock (good). But the additives and the
gasoline formula mix BREAK DOWN slowly, so that by six months of storage, it is no longer good.

UM...go to any gas supplier website and you'll see them proudly announce that they use additives.
Also, the shelf life of gasoline is well know both within and outside the preparedness community, and has been for decades.
No coverup or conspiracy here.
0 x

PrepHer
Canada

Postby PrepHer » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:15 pm

If you're planning to store gas for six months, it's wise to add an additive which extends the life of the gasoline: Stabil.
0 x

morningcoffee
Canada

Postby morningcoffee » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:46 pm

I would add a word of caution to anyone still contemplating a truck camper, particularly to add on to an import truck. Campers, especially the ones built in the last 10-15 years are heavy and don't fit into imports and most can't be carried safely by anything less than a 1 ton dually. The imports just aren't built to take the weight. Old (1970's) campers were wider than the current tailgate openings on most trucks including domestic ones and it makes actually fitting it in the truck bed a real challenge.
0 x
"It's better to look ahead and prepare than to look back and regret"

alpha1
Canada

Postby alpha1 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:23 pm

hello , just to know did anyone build a mini bug out camper dimensions 4x8 about , that can be pulled by an atv quad side by side I am working on building one from scratch I would say the with of my king quad 750 , for tow peoples , as for material i am using 2x4 metal studs as base structure and 1x1 studs for for the wall and roof frame, i am also building an independent suspension system . generator solar panel batteries water fuel food and lots more lets just say enough for two people for about 1 month of bug out time and more depending on what we can gather along the way
so if you have built one please send me pictures they will be really appreciated thank you Mike belleville@hotmail.ca
0 x

Lewis
Canada

Postby Lewis » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:08 pm

Hey all, wanted to chime in on a few things discussed here. First of all, life span of gasoline. As previously mentioned additives are a good idea to stretch life span, specifically I wanted to mention Seafoam. I've done a little in dependant research with this and a couple other products and the Seafoam is worth it's weight in gold. I treated a couple jerry cans, and let them sit for well over a year. Ran the fuel in the 4 wheeler, boat, lawn mower and chainsaw and all ran fine. No issues. All my seasonal equipment gets treated when put into storage and runs great when it's time. Also provides other benifits to a motor as well..

My SHTF vehicle is my old truck. Kept it when I bought the new one. 2005 chev 2500 diesel. 4x4 4 door cab 8 foot box with a hugh topper. 150 gallon slip tank in the box plumbed into the trucks fuel system. Green Lea chest with tools, fluids, repair essentials, the rest the space is reserved for food/water/clothing/etc.

I had thoughts of rigging my travel trailer to come along, and thoughts of an older camper that I could modif into a more useful rig, but instead I scooped up a 20 foot enclosed trailer. Currently in the building process. The front 12 feet is going to be a small bunkhouse/kitchen. The back 8 feet is my generator, 100 gallon gasoline tank, and storage for more food/water/shelter essentials. Still in the early stages, but plan on solar as well eventually.

I know it's a big rig, but ya can't put a family of 4 in a sardine can.
0 x

alpha1
Canada

Postby alpha1 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:02 pm

Hello, I would like to know if anyone as built a bug out mini camper trailer to hook on a ATV . I have a king quad 750 and acquiring material to build one.
4 x 8 x 4. with all the gear needed to bug out if it comes to that. i think an ATV could be one of the best bug out vehicle reason why , you can move thru traffic , roads off roads if needed. and its not to wide good for two people of course not intended for a family . you also have the environment the weather . but then again if you are dressed for it its not a problem . if you have any topics on the subject please send them thanks mike
0 x

Clarence
Canada

Postby Clarence » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:31 am

4wd if you can afford one,
As aggressive a tire as you can drive around with in your normal dal.
Know your vehicle, how to jump a curb, know your width so you don’t hesitate squeezing through gaps in traffic.
Keep the tank half full as much as you can
Spare tire and ability to change one
Keep full of food and water and warm clothing for each person typically in the vehicle.
Keep it in excellent working order
There’s all manner of things you may try and have with you in your vehicle.

So, smart car, van, crossover or full sized suburban type vehicle, it’s a matter of your budget, lifestyle and region. There is no magic bullet. I personally prefer large 4WD, or Jeep sized unit. One way o4 another, you want to know it and have a grab and go kit in it

If feasible, You may also consider as an option a ATV, skidoo, Argo, motorcycle or simple pedal bike
Of course fresh fuel for all the equipment
0 x

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:07 pm

There are many suitable vehicles (dependent upon the circumstances0. One I like is the Volvo C303. It is specifically designed for the military to fulfill the role of overland support. It is thinner than many vehicles (to aid maneuvering between trees). The 4WD system uses portal axles and locking differentials. It possesses high ground clearance and a B30 engine; which is devoid of high tech gadgets (can be kept running with duct tape and shoe polish). LOL The engine is only 125 HP, but is geared for the job.

http://www.real4x4.com/Volvo/Real4x4sC303test.jpg
0 x

Return to “General Preparedness”