• Advertisement

Vehicles

General Preparedness Discussions
Allegro

Vehicles

Postby Allegro » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:04 pm

Hi everyone,

What are your thoughts concerning vehicles? Are you currently prepared in this department? Do you have an idea what you may want to drive next? I have my opinions and happy to hear/discuss what makes for the best vehicles we can all rely on.

M
0 x

Goldie
Canada

Re: Vehicles

Postby Goldie » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:27 am

I would love to hear more on this topic . Also best colour for the vehicle.
0 x

Allegro

Postby Allegro » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:07 am

Hi Goldie.

Tell me about what you drive or want to have 'down the road' in an effort to become more self-reliant. Remember that Ontario sees brutal winters and we have lakes everywhere! Maybe think outside of just 4 wheels and satellite radio...?

M
0 x

Perfesser
Canada

Postby Perfesser » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:43 am

In 2005 I bought a VW Passat wagon. Turbocharged Diesel, great mileage at 900km range per tank (55 liters - 10 gal) or about 45 mpg and plenty of power. Enough room to sleep in the back if needed, room for stuff. Long wheelbase so it rides well, low center of gravity so it handles and corners well.
Also can tow a trailer with another 1000lbs of stuff.

I got it in silver so it doesn't show the dirt and stays cool(er) in the sun.
Last edited by Perfesser on Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:55 am

I can't say that I bought my vehicles for bug out purposes but they are both 4 wheel drives as most vehicles are where Iive. I own a 2006 Chev Colorado and the wife owns a 2008 H3 Hummer. (No, the H3 isn't really near as expensive as you think it is.) The reason I chose these specifically is that gas is presently sitting at $1.499 here, which is higher than most of Canada so both my vehicles have straight 5 cylinder engines. The Colorado averages 26 mph @ 110 kph and the H3 gets 21@110kph. The H3 weighs 700 lbs more, is less aerodynamic and is full time (computerized)4x4 compared to the Colorado can be set to part time 4x4.

Most vehicles today are crammed under the hood and therefore much harder to fix. The straight 5's leave lots of room to work compared to V6's and V8's and are still quite reliable. They are less fuel efficient than a V6 but have a longer piston stroke for more pulling power. Both are very decent 4x4's as the Colorado is light and proven well when off road. But the H3 rules in the ditch. It has serious suspension for offroading and I use it for plowing too. Seems most others don't plow because I had to build a mount system as no company makes a plow for the Hummers(go figure).

The Colorado is a copper/silver in color which great for hiding dirt. It is a therefore your "grey camo" which is also very inconspicuous compared to many loud colors, but mine is otherwise covered in bright red vinyl advertising for my shop( which means my truck doubles as a free billboard). I could peel it all off in about 2 hours if I had to though. This truck drives like a nice car but it's smooth ride can't haul much over 500 lbs in the box without beefing up the suspension.

The H3 is bright Harley Orange which would be great camo to blend in only if it were burning in hell :D . The wife is afraid of hitting moose, so I convinced her yo buy one on the premise that it is unlikely a moose can come into a H3 easily as the windows are quite small. Deer and bear will dent your vehicle, but moose often kill the occupants because they are 1200 lbs of meat suspended on stilts. When you hit one, they tend to come into the cab because you take out their long legs and their body is above most vehicles hoods and ....thus, yer dead! The wife travels alot and wants her vehicle to be seen if she accidentally goes off the road so she wanted the bright color. I built her a custom roof rack to hold some serious moose lights for night driving that could even blind a bat's radar system. We always carry emergency road kits and First Aid kits and lug around snow boots and decent sleeping bags all winter if traveling very far. The biggest peril up here is hitting wildlife and at least one person dies here each year as a constant reminder to this fact. Over 90% of the vehicles up here have 4x4 written on them somewhere, so mine are somewhat the norm as many spend big bucks lifting and decking out their toys here. Yet most don't fix their own, and I think my choices are easier to fix then many others due to the simplicity of the straight 5 engine. Another big advantage of both of these GM products is the limited slip differentials. Instead of turning only 2 tires in 4x4, they start out turning all 4 up to about 5 mph, then turn into a normal differential. This means far better traction on takeoff then most others vehicles. You can tell if you have this option on your truck simply by backing up around a corner in 4 Wheel drive. It feels like your diffs are fighting each other and something is going wrong....like positracks, they only want to go straight when locked! The computer assisted 4 wheel drive is really sure footed, but I know it will go wrong some day and then I'll really hate it! The H3 can do a U-turn on a 2 lane highway, it turns that sharp(and I can't imagine why it needs to). It's a serious off road vehicle, but rides like a battle wagon on cracked highways and I'd sell it in a week if I lived in Winnipeg(cause most of their roads are cracked). The H3T (truck) rides better because it is longer.

As mentioned in another thread here, I had a Cherokee and it was a great vehicle bu it's downfall was not having a frame, just a unibody. Therefore I'd stick to the CJ's instead, but their noisier than the H3 and rougher to ride (and the H3 is rough enough) :lol: . I was often mean and inconsiderate to my Cherokee and drove it like I was trying to destroy it. We have winter roads that one doesn't travel in the summer because they often cross swamps. You do these with the approach of trying to push the pedal thru the floor and hope that Satan is eating lunch or something when you go cause no one else is gonna be dumb enough to come get you out. That Cherokee was a tough hombre for what she lived thru! I grew some brain cells since then and only drive winter roads in the winter....
0 x

Goldie
Canada

Postby Goldie » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:40 pm

I'm thinking of a Ford Transit connect comes in a wagon or van style ( not the big delivery type huge transit )
comes in a variety of colours. Some of the transit let you really customize the inside.
0 x

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:59 am

Clogged roads. No gas. No money. Hmmmmm....

Parking space in Holland.
Attachments
IMG_0955.JPG small.JPG
IMG_0955.JPG small.JPG (101.56 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
BCN Critical mass bicycle ride.small.JPG
BCN Critical mass bicycle ride.small.JPG (54.83 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
0 x
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

Allegro

Postby Allegro » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:54 am

Hi all,

I'm glad this thread have sparked a discussion. I'm sure we've all thought about it: How the hell am I going to get out of Dodge should there be a need. I was in Toronto during the 2010 G20 summit and saw a scary side of Canadian society I was only used to seeing on the news from other parts of the globe. My friends and I all decided from that point onwards to have a plan leaving the city and where to meet. The ice storm in the Ottawa area during the winter of '98 or annual flooding in the Winnipeg region brings this topic to the forefront. How do I get outta here?!?!

For me 2 wheels may better than four. The American special ops and our own armed forces have been using overland vehicles for decades. Snowmobiles, ATVs, and motorcycles offer a great means of travel when everyone else is in panic as they load up the family station wagon headed to the cottage... god how I loved the olde Caprice! J/K:)

My choice for a car would have to be a 4x4 truck or 4x4 jeep. I understand you Knuckle had a Cherokee and offered your feedback on that model. Its been a car I've looked into and would love to hear more from you in detail at a later date. I think the tried and true Wrangler or a full-sized pickup would interest me the most. I'm on a student's budget right now so I deal with the realities of what I've got but I have a presence of mind to get a more dependable daily driver soon enough.

Before then I plan on getting a bike. No not a bicycle - though they too have their place. I would have to say the Kawasaki KLR650 gets my nod. Please weigh in on this and anything else you care to comment on but I've been thinking about this one for a fair while and I've settled on this bike. The KLR650 is a brute. Used in countless wars by the US Marines, this motorcycle in its military configuration mind you is claimed to achieve mileage as high as 130MPG. For those of us thinking in metric terms, thats 2.92L/100Km!!! Can I substantiate this claim? No. Do I believe that this is a real-world figure? Likely not. I do know however that the typical civilian KLR650 will get about 4.5 - 5L/100Km(52 - 47 MPG). Thats pretty important in a situation where one needs to leave in a hurry because things aren't going so well in the neighbourhood. Fuel of any type becomes a precious commodity during and after mass disasters. An after market gas tank on this bike is now as large as 10 gallons. Thats conservatively 470 to 520 miles on one tank. Pretty good I'd say. Adding some saddle bags and even more fuel in a couple Jerry Cans and you can understand why this is a serious overland motorcycle.

One could argue that a bike, ATV, or personal water craft is impractical due to the lack of cargo capacity and passenger considerations. I can agree 100%, not very practical that way. I would rather spend the same amount of money for a car on one or if need-be even 2 overland vehicles should this prove to be a major advantage in staying safe and staying alive, god-forbid my life depended on it. I would rather stage my gear up ahead of me or along my route already out of harm's way than to end up stuck in traffic armageddon with my BOBs, INCHs, EDCs, FAKs, and LMNOPs in the trunk. This is my mindset when prepping: escape fast, travel light, travel smart, arrive alive, and already have everything waiting there. I of course have my kits and caches already.

My aim with this thread to both hear what others might have thought about with their vehicles and discuss what the pros and cons are with different types of transportation.

M

IMG_0700-XL.jpg
IMG_0700-XL.jpg (96.48 KiB) Viewed 1790 times
Last edited by Allegro on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Allegro

Postby Allegro » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:57 am

Some people drive a Jeep. In the Dakar rally, the Jeep is merely luggage!

M

Overland Dakar-Jeep.jpg
Overland Dakar-Jeep.jpg (122.71 KiB) Viewed 1790 times
0 x

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:45 am

You are new here so I am going to cut you some slack. LOL. Don't hate me for that comment. You will know what I mean in a bit. I'ld like to convince you to go read this.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4740
You may want to read some of the comments before getting to the article itself. enjoy
This is my public service anouncement
0 x
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

Return to “General Preparedness”