• Advertisement

Power Outage and Electronic Entry to Buildings

General Preparedness Discussions
jonesy

Re: Power Outage and Electronic Entry to Buildings

Postby jonesy » Fri May 12, 2017 9:02 pm

Kind of like how long before the average cell tower/hospital runs out of backup juice?

Depends on budgets and policies in place, I suppose!
1 x
One is none, two is one.

CanCricket
Canada

Postby CanCricket » Fri May 12, 2017 9:19 pm

It's been a slightly frustrating endeavour, trying to get this info. No one seems to know exactly how it all works and they can't/won't point me in the direction of someone who does. Someone must know how it all works. And I don't think it's totally unreasonable to want to know how to access/leave the place that I live in and to know how secure it's going to be (or not) if we ever lose power.
0 x

Clarence
Canada

Postby Clarence » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:23 am

Here's the scoop. Owned a security company and currently a security consultant
Two types of electric strikes. Fail secure and fail safe
Most / maybe 99% of buildings use fail secure. Meaning, once the little backup battery in the panel dies, the lock or strike, will stay locked. A key is needed to open.
Same will happen on underground parking lots or gates

Other thing to know. Elevators automatically go to ground floor when power is out.

Like your lobby door, any stairwell door on card access will also not work.

Hope that helps
1 x

CanCricket
Canada

Postby CanCricket » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:22 pm

Clarence wrote:Here's the scoop. Owned a security company and currently a security consultant
Two types of electric strikes. Fail secure and fail safe
Most / maybe 99% of buildings use fail secure. Meaning, once the little backup battery in the panel dies, the lock or strike, will stay locked. A key is needed to open.
Same will happen on underground parking lots or gates

Other thing to know. Elevators automatically go to ground floor when power is out.

Like your lobby door, any stairwell door on card access will also not work.

Hope that helps

Thanks, that actually helps a lot, because no one connected to my apartment building seems to know the answer. Although, it's also scary, since it seems that once the battery back-up dies, I'm SOL in being able to leave or enter my building. I can leave, but getting back in isn't going to happen, since there's only one door to get in and it only leads to the elevators (which will be non-functional). And it will eventually stay locked. I can't seem to see a key option anywhere around the entrance, unless it's really well hidden. And I doubt I would be able to obtain the key, if it did exist, as I can't see anyone giving me a copy.
0 x

term0shad
Canada

Postby term0shad » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:49 am

Key that opens main entrance should open all. Locks are on inside of stair ways. There no way stairs way will lock out. Do to fire. So look at inside of stair way should be a option to unlock with key. At least every apartment i lived in i could enter threw all unless they force you to only entry threw main door
0 x

Clarence
Canada

Postby Clarence » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:54 am

Can. Termshad is correct. Perimeter doors need a key to open them.
NOW, if and I seriously doubt it, your doors are on Mag locks. They cannot be opened by a key as a magnet plate / usually top right hand corner of the door ( on secure side) is used to keep the door locked. In the event of a fire or someone pulling the fire pull stations, the lock, by code must release.
Again doubt it. It's old technology. If it has a key cylinder, it's on an electric strike and you need to ask for a key. If you lose it, there will likely be a heavy bill. They may also not wish to give you one if the doors are monitored for intrusion. To long of explanation on that for post
www.survive.triwolfsecurity.com
1 x

Clarence
Canada

Postby Clarence » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:57 am

Thermoshad. Stairwells permit free egress. But if on card access or key control, they will lock. So if you made it into the lobby but elev was down, you couldn't get upstairs via stairs unless the door unlocked.
Cheers
0 x

Return to “General Preparedness”