• Advertisement

Assessing skills & readiness - done / to do

General Preparedness Discussions
HopeImReady
Canada

Re: Assessing skills & readiness - done / to do

Postby HopeImReady » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:24 pm

Update: I've done 4 orienteering events, with a local club. It is basically like geocaching only instead of a GPS, you get a map and list of controls you need to find then "beep" with a chip, and it's timed. Some are near the trail but most aren't. All have been in the local Gatineau hills (low mountains), in the less-visited parts. I figured it would be like hiking but more functional...well I SUCK big time, came in last place every time so far, but I still enjoy it. I've learned to read a map and use a compass, but I still managed to get lost twice a few weeks ago (temporarily), got old barbedwire wrapped around my leg, and I think I ran across some poison ivy last weekend. However, it's a great way to build stamina and problem solve - nothing like climbing an off-season downhill ski hill trail to improve cardio!
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Wayne
Canada

Re: Assessing skills & readiness - done / to do

Postby Wayne » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:08 pm

Great job!

It's a good idea to have a team plan (unless you live alone and are otherwise unattached to a significant other or family members). Everyone usually possesses a skill(s) that is superior to ones own training and experience. Consideration of this factor helps the team set priorities as to the areas needing to be addressed.

As I mentioned in a recent post, I have many personal shortcomings in training and experience that I must tackle. If someone else can fill the void (which is the case with my wife) these areas can receive a lower priority until other gaps are filled. It certainly doesn't mean that I can omit them, but it gives me a clearer picture of what first needs to be done. This also helps us understand the specialty tools each of us are responsible for in a bug-out situation.

Keep-up the good work! You really seem to be moving forward.
0 x

Return to “General Preparedness”