• Advertisement

Is it me or what?

General Preparedness Discussions
Wayne
Canada

Is it me or what?

Postby Wayne » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:15 am

Over the past year, I've attempted to formulate a proper mindset for prepping. As a Survival Instructor, the focus has always been to think outside-the-box and make use of whatever is available to perform the function required. Because of this, items are often used for a purpose which they haven't been designed. I've lived in a world of have not.

Having a world of items to choose from "just in case" is a completely different situation for me. Now I get to prepare! The world of hording redundancies is now open to me. The possibilities are almost endless...

I can't help but look forward to the luxuries these items will offer. Having various relatively easy methods of starting a fire, for example. My developed skills of bow starting becomes useless in-light of having matches, lighters and other fire starting methods available because of my preparedness.

At the same time, I realize that the situation may require me to bug-out thus limiting many of the options available. I see this as somewhat of a dilemma:

1. The stay at home scenario (by far the best option). Where I can depend upon the hoard of preparations.

2. Leaving with my vehicle (with less items).

3. Leaving on foot with my bug-out bag.

4. Being alone without much (bug-out bag destroyed or stolen).

Like I mentioned, it's the final option that I've 'prepared for.' It has surprised me why the other possibilities have caused me so much hesitation. I feel like a kid in a candy store and don't know if I should run to the ice cream first or the chocolate bars... LOL
0 x

term0shad
Canada

Re: Is it me or what?

Postby term0shad » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:18 pm

You should all be trained in #4 . Its nice to have all the toys. But Murphy law. Always happens. So best to be able to do it with a pocket knife and be able to survive. Skills and knowledge could be all you have in the long run.
0 x

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:19 pm

Yes, I suppose you're right term0shad. The foundations are however different and it's difficult for me to blend the skills and different mental attitudes of rotating a food source with cleaning a snake for consumption. Having knowledge of edible wild plants and snaring food, with that of gardening and raising livestock. Building an outdoor winter shelter from what's available and designing an off-grid power system for your home...

I suppose they all come down to prepping, but each person's definition and priorities may be different. Each scenario will require a different solution. The topic is so broad that I wonder if I'll ever be able to get a handle on it all.
0 x

jonesy

Postby jonesy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:13 pm

It might be you:)

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. While it’s awseome you’ve got level 4 covered, the most likely event 99% of us will face in 99% of encounters is your example 1. Ie power outage at home, even for extended periods. If you can go a few days without power and carry on, you’ve likely got most angles covered.

However, anything more is depending on what your immediate threats are in your area. Are you downwind or a nuke plant? Surrounded by trees in a ‘ extreme’ forest fire condition zone? On the shore in Tofino in an earthquake, etc?

I’d say if you’ve covered what is likely to affect you most, anything else is a bonus. You’re already ahead of most of those ‘asleep’ people, and most government agencies. Heck, try getting emergency preparedness Canada to mention EMP risks. They don’t want to tackle it, because their budget won’t allow it. (I asked a rep at a fair once)

Anyway, relax and enjoy the journey of shopping and learning. At least while the shelves are still fully stocked, few others are buying, and the educational material is still available online!

Fun reading:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews. ... -know/amp/
2 x
One is none, two is one.

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:29 pm

Great article jonesy; thanks. Something else to learn about...

I'm enjoying the journey. When I started, I had no idea how much there was to learn. The shelves are fully stocked, but my wallet isn't. Progress is steady, but slower than I'd like. I suppose that I'm not the only one though. :-)
0 x

jonesy

Postby jonesy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:43 pm

No one has everything they want. My solid bedrock acreage prevents me from building my Dr. Evil-style underground lair:)

Despite my type A desire to cover everything RFN, I have to make peace with this concept: any preparation you make in a day puts you one step ahead. Whether it’s scoring a sweet deal on a Fiskars axe, or building a rainwater collection system, anything adds to the arsenal of preps. Make a point of doing something every day, even it is minor; it avoids frustration and staves off the feeling of inertia.
2 x
One is none, two is one.

Return to “General Preparedness”