• Advertisement

What preparedness items do you buy online?

General Preparedness Discussions

Poll ended at Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:14 pm

Books
11%
Knives/Axes/Machettes
9%
Prepared Food (freeze dried, MRE, Etc.)
11%
Power Products (solar panels, power banks, inverters, AA/AAA/C/D cells, etc.)
17%
Stoves/Cookware
9%
Water Purification (filters,auquatabs,storage containers, etc.)
15%
Trending Gadgets & Gitch
2%
Communications (ham radio gear,cb,etc.)
6%
First Aid/Sanitation (kits,bandages,soaps, etc)
13%
Bushcraft/Survival Gear (shelter,clothing,etc.)
9%

Total votes: 47

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:14 pm

Online shopping is taking over the brick and mortar retail business and continues to grow.
What, if any, preparedness products do you purchase online from Amazon, E Bay, and online merchants?
0 x

peppercorn

Re: What preparedness items do you buy online?

Postby peppercorn » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:07 am

I checked off only one item on your list...solar type products, but I don't, or haven't bought them off Ebay, Amazon etc (usually), but rather directly through Canadian Web sites from manufacturers or distributers. I have bought lots off ebay, and amazon in the past but have decided after my last stunningly bad purchase (still can believe how bad it was) of a inverter from a US distributer that If at all possible I will not deal with USA suppliers if I don't have to, The prime reason is of course as often happens, you think you have paid for everything and with out ryme or reason you get hit with duties, brokerage,or handling charges that can drive the cost of your purchases up 50% in some cases. Order a few spools of 12 and 14 gauge magnet wire, with say 50 2inch by 1 inch by .5 inch neo mags N42, and see the surprise bill when they arrive!!
That's 50% of why I don't want to order on line from outside Canada. The second 50% is of course moral, I just `don't wish to support a permanently warring, destroying, prisoner torturing, and murdering Nation.In fact I am almost certain my position is not alone, I seen the add for fish antibiotic on here and thought I need some, but when I clicked to buy it, it looked like it was out of the USA, so I passed.They could have had a sale, I was ready to buy, I am going to buy...but...... Im going to pass on anything out of the USA whenever I can...its just the moral thing to do!

In fact I can offer good advice for those Canadian companies wanting to sell on line in Canada...source all product direct from the manufacturing nations (usually China, or that region) and state that no Americans, American companies will be profiting by buying from you. its a great advertising Point!! and Sell direct, not over Amazon or Ebay so that again you are cutting out American middle man companies. In fact I am thinking about opening up a manufacturing business (small) that I can do from home and if I do, you can be certain I will source everything outside the USA, and construction will be with 100 % Canadian Labour. Cut out the evil, immoral empire wherever you can....and advertise your product as such!!!!

We had a conservative government (fed) that decided to destroy itself by trying to divide Canadians by declaring some old stock and worthy and others not so, and decided to provide air cover for isis along with the Mericans in Syria. They lost because of it... I mention this Just so those Canadian companies looking for a in, with Canadian consumers, need to realize Canadians are not Americans,( not that stupid) we have a new government (liberals ) because of it!( Much to my dismay).
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

scrounger
Canada

Postby scrounger » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:12 pm

If you have to order from usa then look into self clearing your packages. Save the rip off brokerage fees. Only "prep" item bought online so far would be knives.
0 x

scrounger
Canada

Postby scrounger » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:14 pm

Would have voted gardening gear but no category for that.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:36 am

With reluctance I will say sorry, I shouldn't have brought politics into this thread about buying on line...between the provincial government and the federal one I sometimes am a grumpy guy. Though my point is valid regarding cutting out the USA when you can, its actually to our benefit in the long run to do so and companies that do will have my business.

Scrounger, Your right about handling brokerage yourself.I haven't done it, I should...Still.....
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:46 am

I will add this though, your worried about gmo's...or buying, say chickens from China ( I am to).....You need to be very worried about any food out the usa even dog food, EPA, and its testing has been cut way back by Trump....you know they now have problems with Lead in the water that goes to people!...that same water goes into most every product from the usa in one way or another! every product...But most especially food products...
0 x

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:51 pm

I have preferred to purchase most things online. If I'm in doubt as to what is the correct item, I research it and read online reviews before making a purchase. Once the correct item has been identified, it's a matter of price and service reputation. I'm not into international purchases with the exception of the U.S., some items from Europe and specific electrical equipment from China (where it seems that much of it is made anyway). I prefer to buy Canadian if it's cost effective.

It does amaze me that many Canadian manufacturers and distributors seem to be out-to-lunch with their prices. Even more, it astounds me that they can remain in business at all. I suppose they rely on the Customer being uninformed of the product and its fair market value.

I also will compare prices on eBay, Amazon, Walmart and Kijiji. Some amazing deals can be found.
0 x

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:53 pm

peppercorn wrote: ...sometimes am a grumpy guy.

Really? Do you think? :-)
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:25 am

Wayne you crack me up...Though having been in business I will say I do ( somewhat) understand the higher prices in Canada. Im not happy with them, but I do have a greater understanding of why!! I will just leave you this thought, our geographic range and limited population + the problem of correcting mistakes, whether they be shipping or manufacturing. Such costs are built into the price!!
0 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:52 pm

Food buckets and large quantities of food, o2 absorbers, mylar, etc. all online. Its really easy to open 10 pages of companies that offer emergency food buckets and find who has a sale on, who's least expensive and purchase that way.
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

Return to “General Preparedness”