Ask a leader health questions here

Discussions about Dental, Medical, Fitness and Mental Health
helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: Ask a leader health questions here

Postby helicopilot » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:44 pm

Hello Sylvie,

I'm not aware of any herbal substitute for Epi. Application of a cool compress and a paste made of baking soda/water will help getting relief at the injection site but does nothing for the anaphylactic reaction.

I wouldn't hesitate to use an expired Epipen with the following caveats:

1) liquid is clear and has no visible sediments (no idea how long it remains in its condition after expiry) and
2) expired meds may not be as potent as fresh ones so another dose may be required

Though not as ideal as Epi, in a dire situation you may be able to handle the situation with Benadryl. Chew the tablet for faster absorption.

Probably the most important thing for you will be prevention. Be aware of where stinging insects can be located and avoid the areas. Avoid leaving sweet items outdoor and keep garbage cans closed. Avoid planting flowers that attract bees. Some people are lucky and can go their whole life without being stung once, strive to be such a person.
0 x

Sylvie2674
Canada

Postby Sylvie2674 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:27 pm

Thank you helicopilot.

I am always very aware of my surroundings, even when deep wood's camping. I also always make sure to have Benadryl and reactine with me. I did not know I could chew them for faster acting absorption. That is really good to know.

I checked on my old Epipen and it looks fine.
Thank you very much for your imput.
0 x
I prep for my daughters, for they are our future.
I prep for the short and long term. Everyday I strive to learn something new.
I prep for community. For in the long run each of us need one another.

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:38 am

Most tablets can be chewed for faster absorbtion like Gravol when nauseated or Tylenol for a headache. Most taste real awful though...

That's why people in suspected heart attack situations are told to chew an Aspirin (hopefully they have the flavored "kid" ones). Aspirin is know. To be a clot thinner and by chewing it, it considerably hasten the process.
0 x

trevorpresler
United States of America

Postby trevorpresler » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:38 pm

Hello! I've got a question! What area and field are you competent in? Cause I have a lot of issues with my health!
1 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:45 pm

trevorpresler wrote:Hello! I've got a question! What area and field are you competent in? Cause I have a lot of issues with my health!

Hello there. Helicopterpilot and I "consult" this part of the forums on behalf of the forum Owner. While both of us have applicable background to assist in this (and many people on the forum in general have a wealth of information also!)...if your looking specifically for diagnosis and/or treatments the best bet is to get hold of a health professional directly. Physician, etc.

If your looking for some info or questions prepping related in how to handle health issues during a crisis you've come to the right forum! :) Ifyour looking for ideas by all means please ask and everyone on this forum will do there best to help. But specific diagnosis and treatment...definitely get hold of a Dr.
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

Return to “Health”