• Advertisement

"Remedies" and "Therapies" A Sober Second Thought...

Discussions about Dental, Medical, Fitness and Mental Health
thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: "Remedies" and "Therapies" A Sober Second Thought...

Postby thecrownsown » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:16 pm

The College of Physicians and Surgeons in Ontario have a policy on Complimentary/Alternative Medicine. Nice read below.

http://www.cpso.on.ca/policies/policies ... px?ID=1532
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:44 pm

An interesting website passed on to me from someone in Autism Ontario....NSFW. :)

http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com

So bad is the pseudo science of not vaccinating kids that old diseases are coming back and killing them.

Is the alternative therapy you are researching tested? Proven? Not just anecdotal evidence but trials that show its effectiveness and its limitations?
Attachments
1412599036983_689193.jpg
1412599036983_689193.jpg (54.4 KiB) Viewed 975 times
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:14 pm

I don't know much on this subject other than what I here from the wife daily as she uses both natural and pharmaceutical approaches to keep her Lyme disease in check. But what I do see is that the drug industry is often sponsoring doctor's comments and therefore have strongly tarnished the industry by selling misleading products at any costs to mankind. Many drugs have far more side effects other than those proclaimed and only time betrays all the adverse long term effects in the end.

The percentage of Autism itself has increased in our population over the last 10 years and yet authorities deny any connections to the shots given in school. I have grandkids who were denied the ability to go to public school because their parents refused to allow these shots after reviewing the risks. Seems many parents opt for home schooling due to this fact alone.

And yet no one sees deception when Dick Chaney owned the rights to the H1N1 shots that they heavily promoted even here in Canada. Holland's health minister, who was the past president of the CDC, refused the shots usage for their country as it was considered dangerous. We later find out that many of our own doctors and nurse who administered the shots to others refused to take it themselves......

Now maybe some natural drugs don't do all they proclaim but they don't hurt you either. I have watched my wife take pharmaceutical drugs and witnessed many adverse effects due to their consumption. She is then prescribed more pills to contract these effects and suffers other effects in turn. It seems the one person who has researched her conditions and found answers that actually improve her condition is herself. She has even faced scorn from many doctors who jest at her statements by proclaiming "internet doctors are a sham", and yet they haven't done anything of value to improving her situation other than perform the required blood tests to allow her to better analyze her next dosage. She has been told she holds one of the highest bacteria counts and yet is healthier than many others with far less.... this is her proof she is doing the right things.

I commend Cares and OlTimeGardener for their efforts in promoting the natural medicines because they themselves gain nothing from their sharing other than contentment that their experience may eventually help others. I see it as okay to criticize others, but only when done in a constructive manner and best done with an alternative approach to present a better option instead. To criticize and yet offer nothing in it's place only leaves those who need help in limbo once again and eventually even destroys their will to fight back.
0 x

prom

Postby prom » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:55 am

Some Muslim clergy join Nigeria's war on polio:

http://www.mndaily.com/2009/03/22/some- ... -war-polio

MMR vaccine controversy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMR_vaccine_controversy
0 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:37 pm

prom wrote:Some Muslim clergy join Nigeria's war on polio:

http://www.mndaily.com/2009/03/22/some- ... -war-polio

MMR vaccine controversy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMR_vaccine_controversy

Thats very heartening to see religious leaders helping to make the lives of people better especially in developing countries. Even with the Ebola scare on today, many regions are leary of health workers, and community leaders rather propogate "conspiracy theories" than actually help the populace. Such a shame.

On the flip side, in the richest country in the world...and this is what we face:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... ns/380252/
0 x

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:07 pm

thecrownsown wrote:An interesting website passed on to me from someone in Autism Ontario....NSFW. :)

http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com

So bad is the pseudo science of not vaccinating kids that old diseases are coming back and killing them.

Is the alternative therapy you are researching tested? Proven? Not just anecdotal evidence but trials that show its effectiveness and its limitations?

A very informative and well presented link!
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:35 pm

It is good when we can prove that a drug works as they should. And even better when we go cautiously and carefully. But they don't explain those parents that had a normal healthy child and then a few weeks after their child has received their school shot, they now watch their child transform into one with autism. Authorities never seem to answer the coincidence of this timing and we know the stats today show a 30% increase and in some regions as much as 204%. We now blame the environment mostly, but why did these shots become the catalyst?

I agree with the shots likely being safe as I too received them in my youth, but finding that balance before we just pump new drugs into our systems is likely the best course. As stated earlier, I'm not into these types of conspiracy but do remember the arguments for and against from those around me regarding such as the H1N1 vaccine. Having siblings in the health care field meant they had to receive the H1N1 shot (but I noted they denied it for their own kids). The controversy at the time was this vaccine originated from another used in the 70's that killed some people. They supposedly removed a few ingredients and added some others instead. It was then promoted as the cure all and forced upon many if they wished to remain in the work force. The point is that they had no long term study for adverse effects. It may have been a cure,just a placebo or it may have have dire consequences down the line. We indeed should be able to have more faith in our medical system, but we know that corruption has damaged their credibility and thus destroyed our trust.

Now for me, maybe it's the fact that I rarely catch anything as I have not had a cold or flu in at least 15 years. I take none of these preventative shots and likely have even influenced my kids to be cautious about such things too. I trust my immune system mostly but have taken antibiotics when needed.

I was to get back fusion in 98 and opted out at the last minute and moved to the country to build helicopters instead, do something light that wouldn't require heavy lifting. I designed all jigs and benches to be able to maintain good posture throughout the whole process (for myself and my employees) and have yet not had my back fused. But I have watched many I know go thru far worse that did have the operation and some have had more fusions since. Maybe not everyone can avoid such things but I have coped by standing on one leg every day (as the other puts my back out) and adjusting sleep habits accordingly. Seems many of us have one leg longer than the other and this caused the damage. 16 years of standing on the other has maybe whittled down the other side to even things up...(who knows)! But I had all my kids checked for this flaw and one has worn lifts in his shoes since youth to correct this flaw early. I still have back issues, but so do those I know who received back fusions and their pain seems to be on a far greater scale. Apparently we have even made vast improvements regarding fusion so some day I might consider this option too.

I don't go for the quick fix! I've had migraines for many years. I don't swallow pain killers unless I really need to. I use pressure points and wear dark glasses as light seems to often be the trigger. I try to understand what my body requires and regain a balance. Stress is often the worst thing for most of us. Leaving the city life took much of that away and I doubt fast food is good for anyone. If such as Ebola gets too close, I just hope that my kids pack up and head for here to wait such as that out.
0 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:52 pm

Knuckle wrote:It is good when we can prove that a drug works as they should. And even better when we go cautiously and carefully. But they don't explain those parents that had a normal healthy child and then a few weeks after their child has received their school shot, they now watch their child transform into one with autism. Authorities never seem to answer the coincidence of this timing and we know the stats today show a 30% increase and in some regions as much as 204%. We now blame the environment mostly, but why did these shots become the catalyst?

Yes they do and yes they have. I'm sorry there isn't a convenient youtube video to explain the whole thing to you. Don't take this as an insult, but I'm gonna try not to respond to your future posts because it would just be exhausting and if you have to get the final word so be it. But all your questions have been asked before and answered including those in the ASD community....Those "authorities" that you mention fail to answer questions are the first to ask those questions. Challenge eachother, themselves and look for the truth. Whether it makes it to a google search, or a youtube video is not there concern, or there job. That being said, the system is not perfect. People make mistakes, people have there own bias. And we see it in the end result with a bad medication, or a false positive, etc. The Dr. that first started the "autism/vaccination link" is proof of that. Had he had proper peer review this silly urban legend would never have taken traction. Thats why there is a method that is used to mitigate this. Unfortunately it is not pushed hard enough in our school system for the general public to really understand and comprehend...Logic, and the Scientific Method need more seat time.

I hesitate to even mention DSM IV and DSM V to you and why ASD has apparently "exploded", or the current "hypothesis" they are looking into on possible links to ASD in society as its typically just a catalyst for people to make premature conclusions, or spread more disinformation on the internet. In fact, a lot of the answers to date are "We dont know." Thats not good enough in today's society....so when "we don't know" something has to be invented...on partial or incomplete information. Hence more urban legends, pseudo science, etc.

This thread is about a sober second thought on unproven, and untested "therapies", etc. Its about proven and tested methods which show something works. Its not about convincing you. Its not even supposed to be an argument. There are all kinds of "alternative" therapies which after clinical testing are confirmed, or partially confirmed that there is validity to them. Based on the information scientists have at that time. Then they try and understand why, and so the process of Science continues on building upon itself. Why practitioners of "alternative therapies" get so upset when challenged is beyond me. The same method can validate or disprove something on the fringe that could save peoples lives... If people would put down Dr. Oz and pick up Scientific American or Scientific American Mind and see the stunning "fringe" concepts science is really researching, the whole us vs. them concept would be exterminated...

Correlation does not mean Causation. And anecdotal evidence does not prove something works. If you think there is validity to a therapy. Hire a research company, put it through the test and show definitively. Help society for real.
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:18 pm

I totally understand where you are coming from, believe it or not. I have not dedicated much forethought to this topic and therefore shall admit it again so as not to appear as someone else other than that which I am. I stated my background and experiences so as to show what drives me in the directions I choose. I can also tell that this is a topic that TheCrownsOwn feels very strongly about by reading his responses. I wish that the world was just so cut and dry that we could choose option A or option B. It is not.

There are alot of persons out there trying to convince us that their product is better so they will be a success, even if their claim is false. The fact that Dick Chaney was VP should prevent him from having anything to do with marketing a drug where conflicts of interest are obvious when the US government is pushing the use of his drugs. (This same thing should have been stopped during the BP oil spill and presently Biden's son's involvement with Ukraine gas). Things like these conflicts are what damage the the public's belief in the medical system and many others far more than some gossip ever has. When Dr Oz and Dr. Phil put their seal of approval on an item, any bad publicity will and likely should fall back on them too.

But now how about those many dentists that state that fluoride is good for you? And yet it wasn't too long ago that warning finally came out to warn your children not to swallow the toothpaste...gee, I wonder why? Many towns still argue for and against this being added into the drinking water....why? Because it's poison! Sure it hardens the teeth, but it does far more damage to the rest of the body too.

But I'm betting that TheCrownsOwn would likely remedy this and other similar issues as he seems to truly want the public to believe in the system once again. I don't know how we can fix a system where bureaucrats who occupy positions regarding our health seem not to care enough to perform their tasks properly. But it does seem if we finally ousted these folks and replaced them for another who could do the job right, we'd be alot closer to fixing such problems anyways.
0 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:47 pm

Testing the authenticity of a website?

When relying on information on the net, its tough to know the authenticity of its content. Pseudo science is well marketed to look like valid information. It doesn't take much to make a professional looking website with well written prose. The following article has some great tips for a preliminary overview and set off the alarms if something is suspect.

http://www.easterbrook.ca/steve/2014/10 ... -internet/

Do conclusions like this:
http://www.biodefense.com/Pandemic-Prep ... de-17.html
provide reliable information?

Which of the following sites are reliable?

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/
http://www.naturalnews.com
http://www.who.int/en/
http://www.skepticnorth.com/
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/
http://foodbabe.com/
0 x

Return to “Health”