• Advertisement

"Remedies" and "Therapies" A Sober Second Thought...

Discussions about Dental, Medical, Fitness and Mental Health
thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

"Remedies" and "Therapies" A Sober Second Thought...

Postby thecrownsown » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:26 pm

There is some great and invaluable information on this and other sites on first aid, home remedies, health and nutrition, etc. Stuff that as "preppers" we find quite useful. It's also stuff that is useful in our everyday lives for healthy living. I have found invaluable information in this forum.

But...there is also a significant amount of bad information, pseudo science, pseudo health and remedies, and muddled information that is tantalizing though completely false. Include with it circular reasoning, belief, and sprinkled with some isolated facts that may or may not be related to the subject, and you've got an instant recipe of crappolla...at best a nice placebo...at worse something actually detrimental to your health.

I'm not posting this to challenge peoples belief's. You can never change someone's mind if they are true believers...no matter what facts are laid before them showing otherwise. For those here that are believers, this post is wasting your time.

Nor do I want to get into specific "remedies" or "cures" that can be found sprinkled here on this forum and others that are simply unproven, or the validity is suspect. It will simply turn into a pissing match if particular items are specified from true believers. I'm just offering up the reminder of a sober second thought when you read something and choose to use it or implement it in your life. Before jumping on the bandwagon of a natural cure, or a verified vaccine, or a proven conspiracy....ask yourself a few questions and do a bit of research. Is the language someone using correct? Are they saying "it does this" or are they saying "studies have found it may lead to this." Has there been research into the product or therapy? Real research, and peer reviewed and done by an impartial 3rd party? Is there a philosophy or belief thats required for it to work? Watch out for fancy websites, and "authorities" on products whose credentials don't add up. People who claim "the conventional medical community doesn't want you to know this" or "the big pharma are keeping this product or this therapy down." Creating the controversy is often a great selling tool. And one of my favourites....is if all or most of what the person posts about on a forum is a particular product, or therapy of which they are an expert on? Please keep in mind that the greater scientific and medical community is ALWAYS adding to its base of knowledge and it's not an US vs. THEM. Various therapies, and medicines have been added to the greater body of science and what may have been considered "alternative" is now main stream. However, there is a huge body of "alternative" practices that have been shown to be useless, or even harmful.

Some food for thought, and links that help expose fraudulent activity. (And for the record, I use a Chiropractor, RMT's and other complimentary medical treatments too. Ones who practice within there expertise and don't wander into areas outside there scope.)

Questionable alternative medicines and therapies: http://www.quackwatch.com/
Another one: http://quackometer.net/

The Scientific Method (looked pretty accurate, though I don't always trust Wikipedia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method
What is a Hypothesis: http://www.livescience.com/21490-what-i ... hesis.html
What is a Theory: http://www.livescience.com/21491-what-i ... heory.html

Wonder what harm can come of pseudo science and phony health claims?: http://whatstheharm.net/
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

Cares

Re: "Remedies" and "Therapies" A Sober Second Thought...

Postby Cares » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:38 pm

From a quick look at the first link the bias of the website is for standard western medicine, so of course they bag out all things alternate...no surprises there!

Sorry but I think western medicine is good for trauma and promoting big pharma drugs...which kill a lot of people each year, but they are not quacks!!! :roll:
Peer review studies are only performed by like minded, big pharma sponsored groups with a pre-determined bias so also don't prove anything.
If alternatives are quackery then how did the human race survive to date?

I'm not saying that all alternative medicine is right but then not all western medicine is right either.
There was an article on the first link that said mercury fillings are okay, but they use to think mercury enema's were okay too, but mercury in light bulbs is not okay.
Come on there is more quackery in western med than you will ever find in the alternatives.

I will go back now to what has worked in my life and the lives of many around me and be happy in the knowledge that it has worked with many very serious conditions :D
0 x

gracefromspace

Postby gracefromspace » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:05 am

I absolutely agree with you Cares.

I take responsibility for my own decisions with regard to taking alternative remedies and treatments, unlike the drug companies who kill thousands each year along with their "back scratchers" dishing them out like candy. In a SHTF world, I can't help but wonder what the pharma faithful people will do to help themselves if they no longer had such free and ready access to drugs, hospitals, and doctors.

A Short History of Medicine;
2000 B.C. – “Here, eat this root.”
1000 B.C. – “That root is heathen, say this prayer.”
1850 A.D. – “That prayer is superstition, drink this potion.”
1940 A.D. – “That potion is snake oil, swallow this pill.”
1985 A.D. – “That pill is ineffective, take this antibiotic.”
2000 A.D. – “That antibiotic is artificial. Here, eat this root.”
- Author Unknown
0 x

OldTimeGardener

Postby OldTimeGardener » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:26 am

About all I can add to Grace's thoughts, is this.

I went to the doc and he confirmed what was up, he gave me a RX for pills.

I got the pills and did some research on them and the problem. Tossed the pills in the back of cupboard, went out to the garden and got plain ole garden sage. Processed to make and drink said tea several times a day ( or as I needed) and that solved the problem very shortly and in a very natural way. And no nasty side effects.

Over a year later when I went back to the doc and he asked if I was taking those pills. I said ''nope never did....why?''
He said if I was 'to taking stop them cause they were causing other problems..'
oooohhh k. Talk about a sobering moment!

Then he asked how the problem was, I said ''cured.''
He smiled and asked ''how ?''
Told him how and he made a bit of a face at the thought of sage tea.... but he smiled as he said, ''he would have to remember that one.''
Then I was smiling.

Dang, ya think I should have charged him for that info.?? :lol:

All it takes is a little research. Look at what grows in your area and apply it to what's ailing you. Other plants you may have to grow, but they are out there for the taking.
There is a lot out there that can not hurt you and is safe, if one cares to search them out and study up on them.

Many rather go and get a quick fix from the docs...until there is no more available, it doesn't work or causes more problems.....then what?

I decided on this many years ago, cause meds and me do not get along!
So I choose to be responsible for my and mine, the natural way and eating preventatives (garlic,onions, to many to list) as well.
0 x
A sense of humor is absolutely essential to survival.

gracefromspace

Postby gracefromspace » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:01 am

thecrownsown, I am curious to know why you wrote ...."I'm not posting this to challenge peoples belief's. You can never change someone's mind if they are true believers...no matter what facts are laid before them showing otherwise. For those here that are believers, this post is wasting your time" ....?

So are you only wanting responses from people who are like minded to yourself with regard to conventional medicine as opposed to alternatives and will back up your own opinions and views on the subject? Would the rest of us "believers" be as you put it, "wasting our time", by bringing a knife to a gun fight in your opinion?
0 x

Cares

Postby Cares » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:41 am

Also what needs to be considered is that not everybody reacts the same way to plant based medicine, just the same as diet and exercise doesn't have a 'one size fits all' effect neither does alternative medicine, but that doesn't make it quackery.
It is western medicine, just like modern education, that tries to put everyone in the same box.

I don't use aromatherapy but I'm not going to say to someone who does that it is rubbish, if it works for them then that is fantastic...live and let live, each to their own...I only ask for the same respect in return.

I have had a pulmonary embolism, six heart attacks (DVT), and an aortic aneurysm all before I turned 30 not to mention half a dozen less serious complaints, and a bad kidney infection years later...the doctors said "If I made forty, I would have been in for a double heart bypass".
Well I am now 41 and ALL these problems were corrected with alternative medicine using a mix of herbal medicine, homeopathy and radionics.
So I think it goes beyond just a belief as to whether these practices work or if it is just all in our heads.

Whilst I admit there are still snake oil salesmen around with one cure or every disease, the whole bundle of natural therapies should never be thrown into the same lot.

I have studied Naturopathy (didn't finish because our house burned down with all my books in it groan and I have been to disorganized since to finish it) but at one of the lectures I attended we heard a lecture from a natural therapist who was woefully out of date with current knowledge, at the end of the lecture the principle asked our opinions and some people were VERY scathing...he just chuckled and said yes but he is getting good results and that can't be argued.
The point is that even though they weren't doing the very best that could be done, it was a lot better than where they had been before so their health improved and that is the most important thing.
As students we were learning about how bad soy was 10 years before the general public became aware of it...the principle had warned us that it takes years before the information becomes common knowledge.

No-one on God's little green planet could convince me that it is quackery and the suggestion itself it quite offensive to me :evil:
0 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:35 pm

Bump. :)

So long as there are unverified treatments, and pseudo health/science products/therapies, etc. being broadcast on this forum, I thought that bumping this one single thread questioning them should stick around too. One lonely thread questioning the abundance of unproven and unchallenged "therapies/comments/experiences" shouldn't be to controversial compared to the overwhelming and zealous conviction of those who believe in untested, unproven "alternative therapies"

I would encourage all to read the initial post, the links and then the responses given so far.

A few more that may help to give another view:

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/lady_home ... ikes_back/

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/swi ... oners.html
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

Cares

Postby Cares » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:07 pm

Are you sponsored by a pharmaceutical company????

Why are you trying to convince people that something doesn't work if they have experienced that it works for them.
Once again your links are biased.
0 x

JustABear

Postby JustABear » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:25 pm

Cares wrote:Are you sponsored by a pharmaceutical company????

Why are you trying to convince people that something doesn't work if they have experienced that it works for them.
Once again your links are biased.

I will quote you " .. if they have experience that works FOR THEM". I will ask why are YOU pushing your personal experience as being what others will experience? Why are YOU pushing your personal experience as scientific fact? Why are you putting others at risk with remedies that are unproven scientifically? If I use what you propose and have a negative experience that can be scientifically linked to your advice are you prepared to compensate myself or my heirs? It is fine to give an opinion but that is all it is. YOURS and OTHERS PERSONAL OPINION..... NOTHING ELSE.
If you state it as such that is fine but when you present it as FACT and degrade other opinions and actual fact then you are dangerous.

JAB
0 x

Cares

Postby Cares » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:56 am

Are you claiming I am dangerous when it is big pharma that kills 1000's of people each year...excuse me but I haven't killed anyone through sharing my personal experiences and nor do I suggest people try anything that they are not comfortable with and I only expect to be treated the same way!
There are many in alternative medicines that I will not consult like people who read auras or do Chrystal therapy but I'm not going to tell anyone that they shouldn't.
My son fell off a roof and hurt his back, we took him to the hospital and they declared that there was no injury and yet even 12 months later he was still experiencing pain and weakness and his left arm was shaky, yet still we were told there was nothing wrong!
We took him to get acupuncture which a good friend recommended a good practitioner, we went along and after an hour he was able to get up and there was no pain, and this lasted for over 8 months before he started to get a little pain again after a hard days work.
So are you suggesting my friend was wrong, or that the practitioner was wrong or the treatment was wrong?!?
I unlike you appreciated their assistance and to see a formerly active boy be able to move again without pain was a joy and if someone tells me it is bogus and that western medicine is scientifically proven and effective then why could they do absolutely nothing for him.

Each to their own, nobody should be able to say we must follow one way or the other.
If some believes that vaccinations are safe and effective good on them, I have never once told someone not to do it even though I have a different view.
The doctors gave me a death sentence or major surgery as my only options....with alternative medicine I was able to avoid all surgery and be in a healthy condition 20 years on...other can call that a placebo if they like but after 20 years and a GP who smiles and shakes his head at me when he sees me, I don't care what anyone thinks, I'm alive and damned happy to be so and if you call me irresponsible for speaking about it then that is your problem.
0 x

Return to “Health”