• Advertisement

"Remedies" and "Therapies" A Sober Second Thought...

Discussions about Dental, Medical, Fitness and Mental Health
Singlecell

Re: "Remedies" and "Therapies" A Sober Second Thought...

Postby Singlecell » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:31 pm

Another problem these days is gluten-fearing mongers. Bunch of psycho's.
0 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:16 pm

Singlecell wrote:Good lord... I can't tell you the amount of women i've met who are on that detoxing shit. This phase disgusts me. You got all these women out there who score psychological points for starving themselves, binge eating absolute garbage, and won't touch exercise if their lives depended on it.

It's an epidemic!

Sounds like you listened to the interview. They talked about this very issue. Celebrity endorsements and impressionable women (and men) attempting "detox's" and even going under the knife to obtain "the perfect image." All kinds of untested unproven and often dangerous "alternative methods" but because they came from celebrities we are more predisposed to believe ti. He mentions your exact point. All kinds of weird "remedies" and no attention to food and nutrition or exercise.

His book he just wrote on this very topic is here:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/boo ... -item.html

Per the interview...he has an entire Chapter called "Pamela Andersons Breasts." Its just my opinion...but I find it extremely disturbing that women will go under the knife for no medical benefit but simply to look more "beautiful." And apparently the most sought after and requested breast augmentations are the "Pamela Andersons." Hence why he dedicated an entire chapter to it....
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:31 pm

JackDee wrote:
In some countries, there are traditional concoctions to heal wounds and infections, fever. So traditional and alternative medicine can be an alternative way when modern treatment fails.

There are so many examples of local "concoctions" and traditional healing forms that have evidence and studies backing up there authenticity (and also there limitations.) And so many "concoctions" which have no evidence they work and can actually be harmful. There is no "us vs. them" though so many wish to proclaim that. If there is proof...real clinical evidence....it is incorporated into the greater body of knowledge. And the body of science does not have all the information at its finger tips and quite readily and often says "i dont know...lets investigate more."

Who would've thought leaches would have modern medical applications? How many pharmaceuticals are based off of plants, fungi, etc. from the natural world?

Main stream medicine and science welcomes those that are proven. The rest of it gets tossed to the side, left for the pseduo scientists and "believers" to use as they wish. :) If you "feel" that drinking lemon juice and chewing on tin foil will detox your system....knock yourself out. To date...there is no evidence any detox works. As the Dr. says in his interview...humans have amazing built in detox systems. Organs like kidney's, liver....
0 x

Singlecell

Postby Singlecell » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:49 pm

I know this is extreme, but this is ultimately the dangers of such beliefs.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01/19 ... -has-died/
0 x

Singlecell

Postby Singlecell » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:53 pm

thecrownsown wrote:
Singlecell wrote:Good lord... I can't tell you the amount of women i've met who are on that detoxing shit. This phase disgusts me. You got all these women out there who score psychological points for starving themselves, binge eating absolute garbage, and won't touch exercise if their lives depended on it.

It's an epidemic!

Sounds like you listened to the interview. They talked about this very issue. Celebrity endorsements and impressionable women (and men) attempting "detox's" and even going under the knife to obtain "the perfect image." All kinds of untested unproven and often dangerous "alternative methods" but because they came from celebrities we are more predisposed to believe ti. He mentions your exact point. All kinds of weird "remedies" and no attention to food and nutrition or exercise.

His book he just wrote on this very topic is here:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/boo ... -item.html

Per the interview...he has an entire Chapter called "Pamela Andersons Breasts." Its just my opinion...but I find it extremely disturbing that women will go under the knife for no medical benefit but simply to look more "beautiful." And apparently the most sought after and requested breast augmentations are the "Pamela Andersons." Hence why he dedicated an entire chapter to it....

I haven't read the interview, this is from women I've met. We go out to grab food and they barely eat a morsel due to no gluten, no meat, blah blah, I wake up in the morning and find 3/4 a loaf of bread is gone and a jar of peanut butter on the counter, it's disturbing.

I know some who claim they're alergic to most vegetables, yet they're going on a cleanse, it's like lady I can see the veins in your legs and youre in your twenties, time to get some fucking help.

Truth is though man, with the feminist mentality we got going on these day, you mention shit like that you're going to get told A) You have no idea what objectification by men women go through everyday and what it forces them to do, B) How dare you tell me what to do with my body. C) Youre a white straight male and an idiot.
0 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:58 pm

Correlation vs. Causation.

A big issue today is interpreting data based on personal, cultural bias, etc. Correlation between two variables, does not necessarily mean causation. (It does not discount it either!)

"This is a post about basics. That's because I think a point needs to be made which is surprisingly not as well-known as its elementary nature would have you guess.

Correlation -in its most used version, due to Pearson- is a measure of how two quantities can be observed to be in linear dependence on one another. It is a very common quantity to report the results of scientific studies, particularly but not exclusively in the social sciences. Researchers try to evidence the presence of a correlation between two phenomena as a preliminary step to investigating whether one can be the cause of the other."

http://www.science20.com/quantum_diarie ... ence-98944
Attachments
autism_organic_foods.jpg
autism_organic_foods.jpg (115.66 KiB) Viewed 1301 times
0 x

JackDee

Postby JackDee » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:02 pm

Reminds me to the topic of illusory correlation, where two or more seemingly correlated occurrences actually are unrelated or weakly related variables. Already forgotten those stuffs, too much skipping classes. :(
0 x

Antsy
Netherlands

Postby Antsy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:21 am

thecrownsown wrote:Correlation vs. Causation.

A big issue today is interpreting data based on personal, cultural bias, etc. Correlation between two variables, does not necessarily mean causation. (It does not discount it either!)

"This is a post about basics. That's because I think a point needs to be made which is surprisingly not as well-known as its elementary nature would have you guess.

Correlation -in its most used version, due to Pearson- is a measure of how two quantities can be observed to be in linear dependence on one another. It is a very common quantity to report the results of scientific studies, particularly but not exclusively in the social sciences. Researchers try to evidence the presence of a correlation between two phenomena as a preliminary step to investigating whether one can be the cause of the other."

http://www.science20.com/quantum_diarie ... ence-98944

In your opinion TCO, would you equate this graph with the fallacy "post hoc, ergo proctor hoc"? It happened after the event, ergo it happened because of the event?
0 x
Needs must when the devil drives.

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:31 pm

The graph was a "tongue in cheek" illustration as part of the article how correlation can be misconstrued for causation. In this instance, there is no other evidence supporting a link between autism and organic food. But there is correlation for a period of time, between the two. In general, when we see an example such as this the point is more easily understood by everyone. With the evidence at hand, in my opinion...there is no event or link between the two. And there is no evidence that shows causation between the two.

There is actually research being done now (please no one jump on the band wagon yet, its in its infancy and could be confirmed or eliminated) that particular chemicals in the agriculture industry "could" be a factor in triggering some ASD. Which is exactly opposite of what the graph on autism v. organic food shows. :)

The idea is to challenge "bad science" and "psuedo science" where sly marketing or someones personal bias may find correlation between two variables and pursue it as a legitimate link without any further evidence. We dont just see this in the "alternative medicine and remedies" industry...but conspiracy theorists who link events together that correlate but may have no association whatsoever. The internet is strewn with it.

The author of the article is also quick to note that two variables that show correlation shouldnt be discounted either. That it deserves further investigation to see if there is causation. Correlation could be a hint at something further..yet we have to be careful making conclusions before all the research is completed. But again...the graph was an illustration on how two variables may correlate, but with no relation between the two. The graph doesnt represent anything further. :)
0 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Thu May 14, 2015 2:36 pm

Just because its on the internet doesnt make it true... :)

Some helpful hints on how to detect clever marketing, and authentic information from the net:

https://uknowit.uwgb.edu/page.php?id=30276

http://mason.gmu.edu/~montecin/web-eval-sites.htm

A great example of internet myth and marketing is the fungus Chaga. It is touted in many alternative "medical" circles as a "healing and medicinal fungus for thousands of years." It is plastered all over the internet stating this. But does that make it so? Is there any proof to this end or is Chaga a victim of copy/paste from the pseudo science community and one bad website is used as a reference to sprout a new myth? Chaga is Dense in calories and definitely an "acquired taste" ....but what else? Where is the proof that it is medicinal aside from several websites copying and pasting the same thing? :)

https://oriveda.wordpress.com/chaga-the-facts/ Is this website authentic? Do they have references to back up their claims?
Attachments
true-pr-quotes-from-us-presidents-and-one-thats-fake-by-prdotco-4-638.jpg
true-pr-quotes-from-us-presidents-and-one-thats-fake-by-prdotco-4-638.jpg (56.05 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
0 x

Return to “Health”