• Advertisement

Ask a leader health questions here

Discussions about Dental, Medical, Fitness and Mental Health
MoraGuy

Re: Ask a leader health questions here

Postby MoraGuy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:16 pm

This is just an idea but it sure would be nice if a trained professional who is a member of this forum would make a list if what people should have meds for a shtf emergency. Well all can take first aide training and we know what to put in a first aide kit but what about meds to have that are available to Canadians.
0 x

The Canadian Giant
Topic Leader

Postby The Canadian Giant » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:43 pm

The question of advanced medical training is a very interesting one. As I have worked in the outdoor leadership industry for the past 16+ years I have been required to maintain advanced level first aid, and sometime technical rescue skills as part of my professional existence. Having taken both wilderness medical training and more typical ambulance based training, I would strongly recommend that people consider a wilderness first aid course of 80 or more hours duration. These course will cover long term emergency care (30 minutes --> multiple days), whereas St John Ambulance training assumes that an ambulance is available in 15 and a hospital in 60 minutes.

During these courses we have always covered relocations using multiple techniques,postural realignments of bones, spinal injury elimination skills, etc.

As for sutures, in general, at the EMT level and lower we are not permitted to pierce the skin. Technically this means sliver removal or lancing a blister is out of the question, but practicality suggests that we become versed in skills that reduce potential future harm and increase immediate comfort. The reality is that butterflies are safer than sutures, particularly in the case of deep injuries. Without excellent cleaning skills and equipment, the risk of sealing infection into the tissue, far outweighs the benefits of performing sutures.

So my advice is take an advanced level course, but realize that without definitive care, we must accept that our limitations with skills and equipment will result in loss of life. Is it better to apply a hundred bandaids to fifty people, or blow all of our supplies keeping a major trauma victim alive for an extra couple days?
0 x
Wilderness Survival and Bushcraft courses in Alberta
www.MammutBushcraft.com

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:21 pm

MoraGuy wrote:This is just an idea but it sure would be nice if a trained professional who is a member of this forum would make a list if what people should have meds for a shtf emergency. Well all can take first aide training and we know what to put in a first aide kit but what about meds to have that are available to Canadians.

Hi Mora,

These lists do exist and are on this forum. If you do a search you'll find them, but I will go back and repost those lists for ya here no problem! :)
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

MoraGuy

Postby MoraGuy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:53 pm

Thank you! Sorry for not see that post.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:23 am

Hello Mora!

Thanks for the question. As TheCrownsOwn has said, such lists have already been made available. That said, instead of showing up at your local drugstore with an exhaustive list from your favorite preparedness forum, a simpler approach is to think of what meds could your family need and that you should keep at home in case your favorite Jean Coutu or ShoppersDrugmart is closed. Cough medicine, Tylenol/Advil, anti acid, Gravol, Immodium, etc. then look at what prescribed medicine you may use and see if you can find a substitute form (for example, if you take prescription medication for heartburn, you may want to stock up on Zantac and Tums). Remember that generally speaking the store brands work as well as the name brands and usually cost significantly less. Just take the time to compare active ingredients to make sure you get the same thing.

Happy stockpiling!
Last edited by helicopilot on Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:59 pm

http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2012 ... unter.html

http://simplypreparing.com/stocking-up- ... medicines/

Moira, sorry I havn't responded earlier. The two links above are a great start on OTC meds. If you do a search on this forum for OTC it will bring up various discussions on the matter too. From storage to purchase, etc.

As for medications not available to Canadians...not sure which ones specifically you are thinking about. But if they arn't okayd by Health Canada I'd be leery of using them.

good luck! :)
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

woodsman77

Postby woodsman77 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:40 am

Hello,
I have a question... and yep, I did my homework, and nope, nothing on any of the Gov web sites.
So here it is: It is legal to import fish antibiotics
i.e. Fish Mox and Fish Pen - from the US into Canada?

Anyone with some experience on that matter?

I do have injectable Penicillin for animal use
it is easy to purchase in Canada, but again, it's the injectable form,
it is very good, but Amoxicillin in pils... much easier, no needle needed.
Of course, this is only as a very last option should SHTF, if nothing else is available...
My family prefers natural remedies, herbs, essential oils not only for us, but for our lifestock, bees, chicken and dogs as well.
And when things are bad, we get some extra help from Colloidal Silver, works really well.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:21 am

Woodsman,

You have a very good question for which I can't help with your answer. I too looked for information on this from CBSA and Health Canada and couldn't find anything. Maybe someone here has done the proverbial leap of faith and tried ordering online and could comment. I suppose that if you have a friend who is a vet, they could maybe order it for you in exchange for a case of beer? A friend of mine also picked up some antibiotics from the pharmacias in Mexico during a vacation. He said they (Cypro, amoxiciline, penicillin etc) can be bought like over the shelf medicine without prescriptions. He brought back the bottles in his bags with the lids still sealed. Coming back Ina plane full of vacationers at 2:30 am, I don't think every bags were searched and had they been, he would have just answered questions and would have surrendered the bottles if asked to do so (pleading ignorance and that they were bought during the vacation in case they got sick during a hike or something...). Maybe your best bet would be to go on the main forum and ask "any CBSA individual here to answer a question?"
0 x

scrounger

Postby scrounger » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:50 am

Perhaps one of the larger aquarium businesses could help.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:53 pm

Another article on medicine expiration: http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/how-soon-d ... -1.2320337
0 x

Return to “Health”