• Advertisement

TGIF ~ How to Build Your Own Med Kits ~

Discussions about Dental, Medical, Fitness and Mental Health
Knuckle

Re: How to Build Your Own Med Kits (or fix what you got)!

Postby Knuckle » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:05 pm

I came across this link of a First Aid kit that was built for the RV.

http://www.rv-boondocking-the-good-life ... idkit.html

What I like is that he is using a see-thru container that allows one to maybe see what he needs quickly. Using one so big might not keep things very neat, but you likely get the picture as to the usefulness of this approach. These containers cost little and do the job often better than many others.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:04 am

Knuckle,

I don't care for that type of first aid kit and prefer compartments where things are organized. The reason is that at the scene of an emergency, it's not time to dig to get the whatever-you-need from the bottom and have to pull everything out first. Also, emergencies don't always happen in dry sunny days. Opening a kit like that on the snow covered ground, ditch or when it's raining, you risk damaging your supplies.
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:57 am

helicopilot wrote:Knuckle,

I don't care for that type of first aid kit and prefer compartments where things are organized. The reason is that at the scene of an emergency, it's not time to dig to get the whatever-you-need from the bottom and have to pull everything out first. Also, emergencies don't always happen in dry sunny days. Opening a kit like that on the snow covered ground, ditch or when it's raining, you risk damaging your supplies.

I agree completely with you. I just wanted folks to see why I chose see thru for the smaller kits and figured maybe some wanted a cheaper box as the tackle box I selected at $25 costs as much as some of the mid sized First Aid kits do. I figured that this little fact may dissuade some from building their own. I know that it is human nature to set a value on what we are willing to spend for certain items. This is why stores often 3 choices( expensive, mid or low priced) of most given items. The customer feels he is in control when having the choice of 3 compared to having 2 or 1(and most of us buy the mid grade items). Many don't set high priority on First Aid even though they likely wished they had in past times, yet they got by so often maintain their set priorities.

It's amazing though that if they just purchased one item at a time, it wouldn't be long before they had a decent kit to rely on for many years to come. Most likely many preppers would find this this line of thinking easy as they likely have it down as second nature within their first year. I do know that if they made the investment, they will be glad they did the first time they need to use it.

Now I'm off to the big city tomorrow and hope to find more tweezers with magnifying glasses attached(about $3 each at Princess Auto) as I'd like to add them to my smaller kits too as I don't see slivers as easy as I used to. :shock:

BTW, that kit is big and is likely disorganized, seems he does carry a lot of stuff around , even for an RV. Folks hopefully will see that organization does have it's place in this game!
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:01 pm

Came across this video for sucking chest wounds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhSsztkQnAA

This occurs usually from bullet wounds or otherwise something else puncturing a lung. Frothy(bubbly) bright red blood is a good sign of this and immediately sealing the wound with a sterile dressing is priority to saving the lung. Even using a garbage bag to seal the wound is better than leaving it open. I list this link to show a type of injury that you might want proper bandages for and to see their application. There are many other similar scenarios suggested thru this link that prepper's might be interested in, but be careful to check accuracy of each before making it SOP (standard operating procedure).

Now I just followed this one, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReMsKL2gsAc, which shows a fancy military style med kit. Note how little real gear is included and how much is tie downs and pockets. I consider that kit all show and no go! Space is a priority in any kit and pretty is pretty useless but his kit choice matches his paracord bracelets nicely. :roll:

I'm hoping helicopilot shows pics of his trauma kit as he offered to. Maybe I'll get some of my kits and do the same. Mine are modified for my area and contain items I consider priority for here such as snare wire. This can be used to build shelters, fix vehicles,bind splints, and trap wildlife. Handy for me, maybe not priority to you though...but showing you mine will likely show you options for survival too.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:35 am

I haven't forgotten the pics Knuckles, I'm just eye deep in boxes right now with the move.

IFAKs are very specialized kits that do have a purpose. I carried one in some lesser places of the world as part of the kit. These were pretty much standardized (Quickclot, tourniquet, NPA, gloves, mec evac call card, Israeli bandages) and though bulky, they were meant for speed. And when you wear armour, tax vest, helmet, rifle, pistol, etc etc etc, what's a little bit of bulk on your left leg? ;p
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:59 am

I got in this neck stretcher today that I bought on eBay for $5.00 (shipping included) http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Neck-Stretcher-P ... 2ed16e4417 . I injured my neck when I was young similar to that of whiplash and often get migraines due to this. I've tried various escapes from the pain and stretching the neck out is one of these that do help. So I dug deep for this $5 option and I will put it to the test when needed next. I present it to you in this thread as it is a cheap alternative as it will be a part of my home trauma kit anyways. Like I said, my kits become personal now that I'm not in the business as I'd expect yours would too.

Another item I also own is a commercial tens machine which sends pulses of electricity thru your muscles for pain relief. Chiropractors and such use these in their practice as they can also rejuvenate muscle strength on weak joints. You can find cheaper version on eBay for around $30 to $400 depending on quality of product. Mine has 4 separate stations and it would be absolute torture if someone turned it up to full power as I've only ever had it to level 4 out of a possible 10.:shock:
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:52 am

I was following a thread by Prepper Nurse to You Tube and spotted this thread https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFeJw9BovZM
This guy has 3 5 gallon pails of medical supplies. This is doing things the Costco way in that you have alot of each item but very few items overall. I point this link out because I don't think this is a very good approach to storage of medical supplies versus having multiple kits in a variety of places.

To sort of drive this point home, I went out and rounded up some of my kits. The 2 old ones are from my work trucks. The soft bag is from the wife's H3 and the clear one is from my truck.

The work trucks are welding trucks. Mobile welding can take you places where breaking down means a long walk home and getting hurt means getting by on your own too until someone misses you. They have pressure bandages and burn bandages and other basics. Note they also have candles, hand warmers, lighter, compass, snare wire, emergency blankets and candy. This is stuff we need to wait for help to arrive.

The wife's has extras like tampons, more candles, toothpaste(cause she's like that)mosquitos dope,rope and whatever else she figured along with the first aid basics. She also packs a swede saw, sleeping bag, bear spray and more as she says she ain't walking.....ever!

I wanted you folks to see my $5 2 sided case from Princess Auto. One side in First Aid and the other is bush kit. I can see all contents easily and I often have to replace the candy when I'm craving strawberry sweets:lol:

(If you think the couch is dirty, I'll now mention that is the downstairs couch where the dog often sleeps and no one sits there but him :?

Trauma and extra stock kit in the house
This is really where I keep the extra for the other kits and some of the basics for the house. When I use stock in a smaller kit, I steal from this kit. When this kit gets low, I restock it hopefully sooner than later. If we have extra meds left over, we put them in here. If we see pills on sale cheap, they end up here too.
(inside the kit)
As you can see, there are empty slots which there usually isn't, so this is likely a bad time to be doing this. I think some tensor bandages are missing but often this is crammed and bursting with too much stuff. This kit holds my BP cuff, neck brace, eye bath and wash, thermometers, splints and other stuff that I'm too lazy to identify.

(stuff on the bottom)
This will give you a better idea of crap at the bottom. Barf bag, $3 saw(don't ask), tic removal tool, masks, puke powder,airway, collapsible cup (dollar store)headlight,variety of burn bandages(were welders) antiseptics, pills, etc.

The point I can't express enough is to pack the kits to suit your lifestyle, not everybody else's as this is something you'll wish you had done when otherwise when it counts and 2nd chances don't always come again!
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:49 am

Well overdue, I know...

I own a few first aid kits and each have their own purpose. We have one in each vehicles, I have an emergency response kit and an IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit). Taking the pictures and pulling everything out was a good exercise for me as it allowed me to sort through expired thing and made me realized I need to buy a couple of splints and instant ice packs for the vehicle kits. If you haven't gone through your kits in a while, I recommend you do it!

Pics over the next few posts...

kit resized.jpg
kit resized.jpg (215.24 KiB) Viewed 798 times

This is one of our car kit, a fanny pack. Don't mind the brand, I just used to be an instructor and volunteer with them. Similar fanny packs can be found online.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:57 am

Inside the fanny pack. There is a little bit of everything for everyday emergencies. The kit opens up nicely and supplies are organized in compartment. Everything is in ziplock bags for convenient storage, but also to keep your supplies clean and dry if you were to open up your kit in an emergency (outdoor, in a ditch, while raining...)

Yes, there is a small teddy bear in there... best first aid "treatment" for any kid! I have one in every first aid kit, along with kid style band aids with different cartoons characters.
Attachments
fanny pack.jpg
fanny pack.jpg (237.36 KiB) Viewed 798 times
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:00 am

Our second car kit, same principle as the first one, different format.
Attachments
IMG_0075.JPG
IMG_0075.JPG (216.29 KiB) Viewed 797 times
0 x

Return to “Health”