• Advertisement

TGIF ~ How to Build Your Own Med Kits ~

Discussions about Dental, Medical, Fitness and Mental Health
helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: How to Build Your Own Med Kits (or fix what you got)!

Postby helicopilot » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:02 am

Not quite as convenient for storage, though the bag was free, so I'm using it. I've loaded it up with a very similar package as the other one.
Attachments
IMG_0077.jpg
IMG_0077.jpg (222.74 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:06 am

This is my medical first response kit. I don't usually carry it in the truck unless the temperature is somewhat reasonable, this is due to the gear inside. Otherwise, it's stored in the (attached) garage so it's used both for the house and to be grabbed and put in the vehicles if need be. Usually brought if we go out camping or for outside activities.

Bags were bought online for a rather reasonable cost, though shop round. I've paid something like $45US for the backpack, but other sellers wanted as much as $180 for that same bag!
Attachments
IMG_0078.jpg
IMG_0078.jpg (235.25 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:12 am

Likely overkill for many forum members, but remember that I used to be an EMT and maintain my medical first responder instructor qualification.

This kit as all that is needed to cover the majority of pre-hospital emergency care. From oxygen with all types of masks, suction, trauma gear, obstetrical emergency kit, etc etc etc. Once again, notice my fetish for ziplock bags...

The backpack also has a bit of "trauma" supplies in one of the side pouch in case on only took the backpack.

In all of my kits, I have "trauma dressings" which come in different sizes. The are super convenient as they are bulky and absorbent and also have a gauze bandage already attached. So when needed, they're fast to apply.
Attachments
IMG_0079.jpg
IMG_0079.jpg (251.44 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:15 am

Specialty kit : IFAK (individual first aid kit). This is what is issued to soldiers who have certified as Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC) provider. These are really geared toward fixing BIG problems and working out an evacuation plan. I've also added some misc bandaids and wipes as I'm more likely to get a small boo-boo than getting shot/blown up (and I hope it remains like that!)
Attachments
IMG_0080.jpg
IMG_0080.jpg (240.39 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:22 am

IFAK content : Big trauma dressing, Quick Clot, tourniquet, naso-pharyngeal airways and large bore catheters for lung decompression.

Not something everyone need here, and I wouldn't have it unless there was a reason behind me getting it. But since some people have asked, I thought I'd include it here.

The pouch on the side is a double 5.56 mag holder. Not enough room on the vest, so this was good for a few extra mags. Yet also a good reminder that when it comes to combat medicine, the best treatment may very well be to shoot downrange first.
Attachments
IMG_0081.jpg
IMG_0081.jpg (250.62 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
0 x

Knuckle

Re: TGIF ~ How to Build Your Own Med Kits ~

Postby Knuckle » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:29 am

I like those kits Helicopilot. The IFAK kit looks very specific to military injury(ya know, like bullet wounds and sucking chest wounds) but appears roomy enough that you could add many other items to stuff it full. 8-) My approach to such things anyways. :lol:

I always wonder at the aspect of such things to have a sack such as that hanging from your leg while say hunting.... Again, I live in a region where the forest is often thick and you often use your gun to brush away branches too. When walking with my bow any arrows even tightly held in a low riding back quiver often worked loose due to snagging a branch. A slung rifle snags alot so consider what such items hanging from the leg would do. Yet the adaptability of the military design still allows easy relocation in such terrain and therefore I find that kit still has appeal. Most of my kits are hard case and have little adaptability like that one does.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:13 am

The back of this specific bag is Molle based and can be removed from the leg attachment and thrown into a backpack or even attached to it if has Molle loops. Yes, very much trauma oriented indeed... As mentioned, not necessarily an item for the average member here, but has a place in a prepper's medical "arsenal" for those who already have their basics covered.
0 x

tradesman

Postby tradesman » Tue May 26, 2015 3:38 pm

I heard that the pioneer settlers in the wild west kept their milk from going bad by placing a silver coin in the milk containers.
A must have for long term events is a colloidal silver diy kit. Here is a good start. http://colloidal-silver-benefits.com/
All you need is distilled water, two silver .9999 % pure electrodes and a 9volt battery. The nano particles of silver go into suspension in the water, drink up and can be used topically if absorbed by material and placed on wounds as a dressing to fight off infections when antibiotics run out, you will be able to make your own. The silver rods I've used are 1/8" dia and can last for ever.
0 x

tradesman

Postby tradesman » Tue May 26, 2015 11:05 pm

Make your own antibiotics with colloidal silver, here is a good place to start; http://colloidal-silver-benefits.com/
0 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Wed May 27, 2015 4:18 am

tradesman wrote:Make your own antibiotics with colloidal silver, here is a good place to start; http://colloidal-silver-benefits.com/

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRel ... verad.html

The colloidal website has been reported to the FDA.

Complaints about fraudulent sites can be sent to:
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/ ... ontact.cfm

The website is American, and unfortunately out of jurisdiction of Canadian authorities.
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

Return to “Health”